Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Josh Taylor v Ivan Baranchyk

Josh Taylor: Ivan Baranchyk world title fight confirmed for Glasgow in May

Scotland's Josh Taylor will contest his first world title fight in Glasgow in May, when he faces IBF super-lightweight champion Ivan Baranchyk.

The bout is scheduled to take place at the SSE Hydro on 18 May, with the news coming a day after it had been reported Baranchyk had pulled out of the contest and the World Boxing Super Series.

Taylor reached the last four with an seventh-round win over Ryan Martin.

The Edinburgh fighter is now undefeated in 13 outings.

Should he beat Baranchyk to claim his debut world crown, he will fight for the WBA belt in the final.

"It is a childhood dream to become a world champion. I am very confident I will win and do it in a good fashion," he said.

Something does not quite add up here. Less than 24 hours after news broke of Baranchyk withdrawing from the World Boxing Super Series, the tournament organisers announce the date for his Taylor bout.

It is, so far, the only semi-final given a specific date across the three weight divisions the Super Series has in operation this season. Maybe that is a coincidence; maybe it's a show of strength by organisers who have the fighter under contract.

But there are rumblings that the series itself is facing difficulties following an eye-catching and well-received first season. Even before season two began, there were whispers of tighter purse strings and it seems money is the root of complaints from Baranchyk's team.

Fans will hope a smooth outcome follows. The Super Series set about offering an easy-to-follow tournament structure with a straight-forward narrative and it achieved just that in season one. In the often complex boxing world of multiple belts, sanctioning bodies, purse bids and promotional stand-offs, such an approach is refreshing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/47075533
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Josh Taylor v Ivan Baranchyk

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought that Baranchyk bailed on the fight?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is this on or off, can't seem to find a straight answer. Fat Dan said Baranchyk bailed and other fighters were forced to take legal action to get paid? It started as a great format but wbss is shaky. Feels like just a stir up tweet and release to let us know they still have a pulse but they have to do better than a couple of tweets. Regardless Taylor is the force right now, he'll cut Baranchyk to shreds.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's a good fight, but I'll wait until they're in the ring. I hope the WBSS can hold it together. They really set a standard that the sport should try to adhere to, with the best (or most of the best) guys in a division facing off.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rumor has it that WBSS hasn’t paid a lot of their fighters. Prograis is threatening to pull out now. This is looking bad. I really hope they fix it

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Rumor has it that WBSS hasn’t paid a lot of their fighters. Prograis is threatening to pull out now. This is looking bad. I really hope they fix it
    Yea I heard that Prograis was considering leaving the comp. I hope they can hold it together. Because it really is a great format if they can get the top guys involved.

I heard they had set the date for Briedis/ Glowacki (Jun-15), and Taylor/ Baranchyk seems to be back on (May-1, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that they can cement the other fight dates.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

‘He’s a f***ing idiot… I’ll give him a spanking’ – Josh Taylor rips into Adrien Broner after controversial American teases UK fight

The highly-rated Scot would love to welcome Broner to his home country

Scotland’s great boxing hope Josh Taylor has called for a bout against the man who used to be America’s top prospect – Adrien Broner.

The super-lightweight contender is currently competing in the World Boxing Super Series tournament, but is already eyeing potential opponents for once he is finished with the competition.

Loud-mouthed Broner was comprehensively beaten by eight-weight world champion Manny Pacquiao last month, but insisted he won the bout in an explosive post-fight interview – not out-of-character for the 29-year-old.

When asked about the interview, Taylor told Boxing Social: “I really don’t think that he believes he won that fight [against Pacquiao]. He’s a f***ing idiot.

“My personal opinion of him, I think he’s an a***hole, he’s really disrespectful.

“He’s an idiot, he’s an idiot.”

Adrien Broner recently teased the possibility of his next fight taking place in the UK.

Upon hearing this suggestion, Taylor said: “I’ve seen that, I would love to fight him, why not?

“After this tournament, if he wants to come over I’ll give him a wee spanking as well. I’d love to.”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/4...adrien-broner/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hate that Broner just keeps getting paydays. He should be fighting lower tier guys. It has been seen time and time again that he can’t compete with the top fighters. I thought he lost to Granados who isn’t a top fighter, but that is the tier of fighter he should be fighting.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Baranchyk leaves the WBSS I'm calling it a duck.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    If he does but nobody else does I will agree

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    If he does but nobody else does I will agree
    The WBSS has set a date for the Taylor fight, as well as other semi's, so if he doesn't fight Taylor next, then that's how I see it. Baranchyk probably wanted to milk the title a couple of times.
    They live, We sleep

Thread Information