Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Errol Spence v Terence Crawford

I hope the fight happens, but from a business standpoint Haymon is in the better position and it really doesn’t make much sense for him. Haymon has Thurman, Garcia, and Porter available to fight each other. Arum doesn’t really have anyone he can pit against Crawford, so I don’t see Al making the fight.

Kind of sad for me- since I can remember the promoters have been Arum, King, and the Duvas. Golden boy hit a peak in the 2000s, but honestly hasn’t been the same since Schaefer left. These days it is pretty much PBC/Haymon dominating everything on the US scene, with Hearn starting to try and break in.

Back to the fight though, there isn’t a bigger fight to make and I hope Haymon and Arum behave like King and Arum did when Tito/Oscar was the biggest fight to make. Definitely NOT like Arum/Mayweather or Rock Newman.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I rarely like fights to marinate, but I would like for each of them to at least fight one of the top guys at welterweight first. Maybe each best two guys. So Spence beats Porter and Thurman and Crawford beats Garcia and Pacquiao.

I know that’s just extremely wishful thinking, but this is one of the few fights I wouldn’t mind marinating a bit so that it would become even bigger.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    I rarely like fights to marinate, but I would like for each of them to at least fight one of the top guys at welterweight first. Maybe each best two guys. So Spence beats Porter and Thurman and Crawford beats Garcia and Pacquiao.

I know that’s just extremely wishful thinking, but this is one of the few fights I wouldn’t mind marinating a bit so that it would become even bigger.

I would like a few million dollars and a beachside mansion... but that ain't gonna happen either. No, I know.... that would be ideal. But even if that was the plan, one of the two is bound to trip up on the way to that superstar showdown. In that Wonderland scenario you just painted, it would probably be Crawford.

Marinating makes some sense here, because neither has fought the Porters, Thurmans or Garcias..... and age still isn't a factor for either. Let's hope the promoters don't ruin this potential mega-fight, like they've ruined a few others in the past.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

I would like a few million dollars and a beachside mansion... but that ain't gonna happen either. No, I know.... that would be ideal. But even if that was the plan, one of the two is bound to trip up on the way to that superstar showdown. In that Wonderland scenario you just painted, it would probably be Crawford.

Marinating makes some sense here, because neither has fought the Porters, Thurmans or Garcias..... and age still isn't a factor for either. Let's hope the promoters don't ruin this potential mega-fight, like they've ruined a few others in the past.
    The main reason I want it to marinate is because, although I think both are excellent fighters, neither of them has superb resumes. I think it could prove them both completely legit and become a Leonard/Duran level of fight. Right now, both are very good but still have a bit left to prove.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The main reason I want it to marinate is because, although I think both are excellent fighters, neither of them has superb resumes. I think it could prove them both completely legit and become a Leonard/Duran level of fight. Right now, both are very good but still have a bit left to prove.
    But the problem is, if they don’t fight each other , who are they gonna fight to make their resumes better?
    Thurman - not gonna happen
    Pacquiao - not gonna happen
    Brook - flawed now I’m afraid to say.
    Anybody else is just padding the record for the sake of it. Doesn’t make them any better or the fight any bigger.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post

But the problem is, if they don’t fight each other , who are they gonna fight to make their resumes better?
    Anybody else is just padding the record for the sake of it. Doesn’t make them any better or the fight any bigger.
    I understand the problem. Don’t get me wrong, I would love for the two to fight next. I’m just saying that if possible, I wouldn’t mind them getting some other welters out of the way first. Spence at least has a decent chance to fight some top welters since they all seem to be managed by Haymon. Crawford is in a worse position since no other welters are with Arum.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I understand the problem. Don’t get me wrong, I would love for the two to fight next. I’m just saying that if possible, I wouldn’t mind them getting some other welters out of the way first. Spence at least has a decent chance to fight some top welters since they all seem to be managed by Haymon. Crawford is in a worse position since no other welters are with Arum.
    But no other Welters are in their class. They would both be heavy odds on favourites whoever else they fought. And everybody has flaws or blemishes on their records.
    These 2 should fight, and the winner should move forward to enhance their legacy. That’s how it should be.
    In all probability, if it’s Spence that wins, he can then go up to LMW to see if he is as special as we think .
    If it’s Crawford, that will prove he is p4p #1 and he can take on all comers.
    But finally, the fans will get what they deserve. A great matchup between 2 guys at the peak of their powers with perfect records. May the best man win.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A WBSS would fix that.

Yeah yeah yeah....... probably not gonna happen either.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But no other Welters are in their class. They would both be heavy odds on favourites whoever else they fought. And everybody has flaws or blemishes on their records.
    These 2 should fight, and the winner should move forward to enhance their legacy. That’s how it should be.
    In all probability, if it’s Spence that wins, he can then go up to LMW to see if he is as special as we think .
    If it’s Crawford, that will prove he is p4p #1 and he can take on all comers.
    But finally, the fans will get what they deserve. A great matchup between 2 guys at the peak of their powers with perfect records. May the best man win.
    But as we know, there is no sure thing at a high level. That’s why I like fighters cleaning out divisions rather than going up and down. Cleaning out a division means that you have to fight all styles. When you move around weight you can fight better fighters, but you get to pick and choose styles you want to fight.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And Arum has people believing it’s the promoters rather than him, he wins. Crawford says himself it’s Arum, doesn’t matter with a few choice racist statements “brotha” he has planted the seeds. It’s like people ask for it

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    And Arum has people believing it’s the promoters rather than him, he wins. Crawford says himself it’s Arum, doesn’t matter with a few choice racist statements “brotha” he has planted the seeds. It’s like people ask for it
    Are you suggesting that Arum is the only promoter refusing to partner for big fights?!? I’ve read numerous times that Haymon is the most difficult to deal with. Seems like Golden Boy is the easiest, at least from what I’ve read.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If anyone is an authority on being easy to deal with, its Ron.

Thread Information