Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Canelo v Jacobs - May 4th DAZN

Canelo Alvarez (51-1-2, 35 KO’s) and Daniel Jacobs (35-2, 29 KO’s) kicked off their mega fight press tour in New York with plenty of fans in support of both. Canelo being the most popular fighter in the sport and Jacobs being from New York.

The fight will take in Las Vegas on May 4th at the T-Mobile Center on the DAZN streaming platform.

Many are considering this the biggest fight to date in the new platform especially since the signing of Canelo to a historic 11 fight, 365 million dollar deal.

Canelo for the most part has taken on the very best when possible so this fight with Jacobs was no different.

“This is a fight that just recently started being talked about,” Canelo told BoxingScene.com “Style are different. These are the type of fights I’ve always wanted and that’s why I’m here. He’s a great fighter. I think at this level, we can adapt to whatever style especially to his style. His style can complicate anyone.”

Through negotiations, it was revealed that there is a next day weigh-in in the morning where both fighters cannot weigh above 170. In the past the IBF rules dictated that rule.

However, after Jacobs' fight with Gennady Golovkin - where Jacobs refused to weigh-in the day after and did not fight for the IBF belt - the IBF dropped the rule for unifications which this fight is. Canelo hold the WBA and WBC while Jacobs holds the IBF version. Canelo however says it was not something I requested.

“It was not something I requested,” stated Canelo. “It was a rule of one of the sanctioning bodies. It’s not really my concern; the IBF which Jacobs is defending. My job is to train and defend myself.”

Later Golden Boys matchmaker, Robert Diaz stated, “It’s still an IBF rule. On unifications it’s up to the discretion of fighter. It’s the same day of the fight and they can weigh whatever they want after.”

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canelo v Jacobs - May 4th DAZN

Press conference highlights

https://youtu.be/1Uh_tG75Tb4

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Does anyone think Jacobs can pull this off?
    Canelo just seems to be getting better and better with every fight and Jacobs will surely need to get the stoppage or win pretty much every round to have any chance on the scorecards.
    Canelo is a Master at fighting while going backwards so Jacobs just steaming in and looking for a KO is a massive ask.
    Id love to see Jacobs win this but can't see how he can.
    Canelo on points for me.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would love Jacobs to win as well, he has the footwork, height and reach to keep Canelo away and should have the natural size advantage. Canelo has fast hands, strong chin and ring experience to hurt Jacobs.

A fair fight it would be 50/50 but it is still a good contest.

Definitely will be watching.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    Canelo Alvarez (51-1-2, 35 KO’s) and Daniel Jacobs (35-2, 29 KO’s) kicked off their mega fight press tour in New York with plenty of fans in support of both. Canelo being the most popular fighter in the sport and Jacobs being from New York.

The fight will take in Las Vegas on May 4th at the T-Mobile Center on the DAZN streaming platform.

Many are considering this the biggest fight to date in the new platform especially since the signing of Canelo to a historic 11 fight, 365 million dollar deal.

Canelo for the most part has taken on the very best when possible so this fight with Jacobs was no different.

“This is a fight that just recently started being talked about,” Canelo told BoxingScene.com “Style are different. These are the type of fights I’ve always wanted and that’s why I’m here. He’s a great fighter. I think at this level, we can adapt to whatever style especially to his style. His style can complicate anyone.”

Through negotiations, it was revealed that there is a next day weigh-in in the morning where both fighters cannot weigh above 170. In the past the IBF rules dictated that rule.

However, after Jacobs' fight with Gennady Golovkin - where Jacobs refused to weigh-in the day after and did not fight for the IBF belt - the IBF dropped the rule for unifications which this fight is. Canelo hold the WBA and WBC while Jacobs holds the IBF version. Canelo however says it was not something I requested.

“It was not something I requested,” stated Canelo. “It was a rule of one of the sanctioning bodies. It’s not really my concern; the IBF which Jacobs is defending. My job is to train and defend myself.”

Later Golden Boys matchmaker, Robert Diaz stated, “It’s still an IBF rule. On unifications it’s up to the discretion of fighter. It’s the same day of the fight and they can weigh whatever they want after.”

This is a quote, right? I can tell because of the bolded part.

On the "weigh-in the day after", of course they would drop that part. It would've favored Jacobs. Now Canelo is free to bloat up to whatever weight he wants.

For the record, I think Canelo's chin keeps him in the fight, and Jacobs' will fail him at some point.

Canelo by unfortunate knockout.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think I said before. Jacobs to "win" the fight , but lose it on the scorecards.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    I think I said before. Jacobs to "win" the fight , but lose it on the scorecards.
    My worry is that Jacobs then does not fight "his" fight and becomes too aggressive falling into the traps that Canelo will set him to win.

Jacobs should publically state that he wants a fair chance to win in the media to force the judges and powers that be that they cannot rip him off. He should highlight all the advantages that Canelo has and use them against him if possible.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is what I think the most likely scenario is. As the fight gets closer, I’m getting more confident in my Jacobs pick. I think it will be like the first GGG fight in the sense of Jacobs doing better but Canelo getting the nod.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Canelo legitimately get the win, but I think that Jacobs outboxes Canelo for most of the rounds. Jacobs seems to fight at the level of his competition. I think he will step it up for this fight.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    This is what I think the most likely scenario is. As the fight gets closer, I’m getting more confident in my Jacobs pick. I think it will be like the first GGG fight in the sense of Jacobs doing better but Canelo getting the nod.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Canelo legitimately get the win, but I think that Jacobs outboxes Canelo for most of the rounds. Jacobs seems to fight at the level of his competition. I think he will step it up for this fight.

Jacobs can mix it up and switch to southpaw like he did against GGG and i don't think Canelos fought that many southpaws.
    Will be interesting to see if Jacobs does that and how often.
    I still think Canelo is just too good for him though and wins this on points.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Maybe I’m in the minority now, but I’m still not that high on Canelo. He is still a fringe p4p fighter for me. I definitely think he’s good, but he lost both GGG fights. GGG isn’t even a top p4p fighter anymore either. Sure, Jacobs isn’t some elite fighter either, but he is solid and I think he has the style to beat Canelo. This will be the first time ever probably that Canelo doesn’t have the size advantage against an opponent who isn’t garbage.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don’t know what to expect. The Jacobs that fought GGG Beats Canelo in my mind. But I haven’t seen that Jacobs since. I didn’t expect Canelo to take such challenges. So he earns respect no matter what version of Jacobs shows up.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post

This is a quote, right? I can tell because of the bolded part.

On the "weigh-in the day after", of course they would drop that part. It would've favored Jacobs. Now Canelo is free to bloat up to whatever weight he wants.

For the record, I think Canelo's chin keeps him in the fight, and Jacobs' will fail him at some point.

Canelo by unfortunate knockout.

That jumped out at me too.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How many active fighters have fought better opponents than

Mosley
    Trout
    Mayweather
    Lara
    Cotto
    GGG
    GGG
    Jacobs?

That’s leaving off some decent names that aren’t quite that level. I get hating Canelo for his unfair scorecards fight after fight. For being a steroid cheat. For the unforgivable sin of being ginger. But his opposition deserves some respect. We could pick it apart, age, weight, timing. Or we can look at a top guy fighting lots of top guys. Top guys fighting is rare, we should appreciate it. Hate Canelo but appreciate the fights. Root for him to lose but hope he continues taking on guys like Jacobs,,,,,,and loses.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    How many active fighters have fought better opponents than

Mosley
    Trout
    Mayweather
    Lara
    Cotto
    GGG
    GGG
    Jacobs?

That’s leaving off some decent names that aren’t quite that level. I get hating Canelo for his unfair scorecards fight after fight. For being a steroid cheat. For the unforgivable sin of being ginger. For forever using weigh-in rules to come in 20-30 pounds over his opposition. For bloating his record to 40-some fights in Mexico as the new anointed matinee idol star before fighting anyone with a pulse. For never venturing outside his own backyard where the judges are in his pocket, only to fight a guaranteed inferior opponent in Rocky Fielding. For always fighting either undersized or over-the-hill opponents. For demanding a fight vs the world's p4p and promptly getting shutout and embarrassed. But his opposition deserves some respect. We could pick it apart, age, weight, timing. Or we can look at a top guy fighting lots of top guys. Top guys fighting is rare, we should appreciate it. Hate Canelo but appreciate the fights. Root for him to lose but hope he continues taking on guys like Jacobs,,,,,,and loses.

There. I added some you had missed.

That incredibly outrageous statement in the OP....... "Canelo for the most part has taken on the very best when possible"...... reeks of Ginger fandom to the Nth power taken to infinity.

His last few fights may make some people forget his whole previous career before that..... but some of us have slightly longer memories, and are slower to forgive and forget.

Here's my own quote to replace the one bolded above:

"Canelo, for the most part never one to have shied away from taking every possible advantage available to him before a fight.... legal, questionable, or otherwise."

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo has fought pretty good competition throughout his career, but he hasn’t done so consecutively. Trout and Lara are easily the two fights I respect the most from him. Both were dangerous opponents who weren’t going to put him over the top. Also, both of those fights could have gone either way. I won’t get into the problem with the other fights, but overall, I don’t have a problem with who he has fought. He has a better resume than many other fighters. He has just had certain advantages that almost no other fighters have had.

Thread Information