Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default GGG joins DAZN

DAZN & Matchroom are just bulldozing everyone!!!
    Big rumours too that Showtime are running out of cash and can't compete.

Gennady Golovkin will be unveiled as the latest big-money signing for DAZN early next week, World Boxing News has learned.

The former middleweight king and three-time WBN Fighter of the Year has been inundated with TV offers since the demise of HBO.

Talks with ESPN and Showtime have been overshadowed by DAZN. Coupled by the desire for a redemption shot at Canelo Alvarez.

Should Canelo overcome Danny Jacobs as expected on May 4th in Las Vegas, Golovkin is lined up to face the Mexican this September.

The pair fought around the same time in both 2017 and 2018. Canelo forced a draw and a victory in two closely-fought contests.

‘GGG’ has since laid down claims to winning the two bouts outright. And now bids to extend the saga by inking on the dotted line with DAZN.

WBN understands the contract will be a minimum of two fights, which could be extended to as much as five or six in the future.

https://www.worldboxingnews.net/2019...dazn-canelo-3/

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: GGG joins DAZN

Damn.

I think someone said this already. It's not that I'm against streaming or anything of the sort.
    I just think there's a certain allure to watching boxing with all its bells and whistles as a huge event on a big ass TV...... that DAZN just ain't gonna provide.

Hooray for technology and the demystifying of boxing!

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

DAZN are doing brilliant things for boxing.
    1 years subscription for a little more $$ than ONE big US PPV event to get all the fights they offer is amazing value.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And still haven’t met one person in USA who has DAZN, asked 2 professional fighters I work with yesterday if they knew anyone who has DAZN and neither knew anyone. They are throwing money away. Good for the fighters. Bad for the fans to have to pay for more and more platforms and have more and more roadblocks between fights. But MW is DAZN for the foreseeable future

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Really don’t understand the trend on this site to root for a platform and a promoter rather than root for fights

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Really don’t understand the trend on this site to root for a platform and a promoter rather than root for fights
    In the UK, this is all on Sky TV so nothing changes for us.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Then why do all these people root for Eddie and DAZN? It’s so peculiar

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

DAZN sign Jacobs, sign Canelo, now they fight. What about that don't you like? Other than Edwards involvement of course. You were frothing at the mouth for Jacobs to get a crack a few months back.

No one cares about Eddie or DAZN. They care about what content it brings to them, for free.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Silver Lining Dept:

If signing with DAZN gives GGG another shot at Canelo, at least it will spare us the embarrassing sight of Lampley, Max & Co. drooling all over themselves extolling the virtues of the Ginger King.

GGG gets his shot..... gets robbed for a 3rd time...... and we all live happily ever after.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    DAZN sign Jacobs, sign Canelo, now they fight. What about that don't you like? Other than Edwards involvement of course. You were frothing at the mouth for Jacobs to get a crack a few months back.

No one cares about Eddie or DAZN. They care about what content it brings to them, for free.
    Yes, I admit they own MW, what fights does being on DAZN make easier in flyweight? Junior Welter? Cruiserweight?

How do you not get that DAZN, ESPN, Showtime are competition and not likely to share? Did you see the rematch between Fury and Wilder go down the tubes when he signed with ESPN?

More platforms is more hurdles, not less

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Silver Lining Dept:

If signing with DAZN gives GGG another shot at Canelo, at least it will spare us the embarrassing sight of Lampley, Max & Co. drooling all over themselves extolling the virtues of the Ginger King.

GGG gets his shot..... gets robbed for a 3rd time...... and we all live happily ever after.
    It’s mind numbing people think this is going in a good direction. Dividing things more and more is never good

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

DAZN is signing everyone. But as Ron pointed out, the issue is that we have too many competing factions which can create more hurdles to make fights. Some fights will be easier to make and others harder to make.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Forget Showtime being a player in Boxing, its no secret they simply cannot compete for much longer which is exactly why HBO pulled the plug.
    To compete with DAZN you need to have crazy amounts of money.
    Wilder will jump ship and join Hearn/DAZN soon.... he'd be a fool not too.
    Ron just resents Hearn swaggering into the USA and literally taking over.
    Hearns been pitching the shit out of Wilder and BJS lately and i can't see why they wouldn't join him.

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Then why do all these people root for Eddie and DAZN? It’s so peculiar
    I am not sure what you mean here. Most people in the UK are more than aware of what Eddie is like but will still root for him rather than an American promoter. Why would they root for promoters that have a history of not making fights or when they do, treating British and European audiences and fans as thought they were irrelevant, and to be treated like shite. Routinely having to wait up until 4,5,6 a.m, even when one of the fighters is British/European sucks for fans. Whatever you think of Eddie, he and his old man before him have a history of making great fights and putting on class shows for British fans. Other than Eddie and Matchroom the only other modern promoter who comes close in the UK is Warren. There are a several smaller promoters, and i have worked for three of them, but they don't get anywhere near close to being able to attract the fighters Eddie can. Don't forget when you had all those cable companies, we not so long ago had just 4 terrestrial channels and ONE cable/satellite provider. So we know what a monopoly means. Eddie might be a bullshitter but he also delivers time after time however much people love to moan about him. Without him British boxing would be immeasurably poorer.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lets slow our roll on Hearn is taking over hoopla . Congrats he signed a guy on the tail end of his career and who has already shown he'll wait on Canelo and follow his lead for the most part and I say that as a Golovkin fan. Rob a guy enough and he'll follow you where he must in hopes of redemption. I'll play devils advocate, boxing needs competition not a singular monopoly with a one dimensional delivery platform. Yes I subscribed to Dazn and call the U.S of A home but Showtime and one or two large Stateside networks are necessary for nothing else than to afford the multitude of boxers an equal opportunity and working options. If Dazn was the only big show in town my interest would wane. Same with any other platforms. Showtime makes it a habit of promoting young up and comers in addition to featured stars and I don't really see Dazn to interested in a long game so to speak. Remember when PBC was 'taking over'? There's always another shark entering the tank. And frankly I don't want all of my 'big' fights on a screen an 8th of the size of my television and airing in the late afternoon to early evening compared to traditional prime time slot on a weekend night. It throws the whole vibe off. This sport is far more than the same ol "mega" stars and divas clamoring about who has more zeroes on their checks. We want the best fighting the best but we're selling fans and tons of fighters short to think that's all we need to require on every fight night to keep the sport viable. Frankly I think we get a little bit spoiled. Dazn is a great addition to a healthy field, an alternative for both fan and pro but as goes the sport..no one boxer is bigger than the sport.

Thread Information