175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Golovkin v Brandon Adams ?

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    I can see it both ways. There is loyalty and all that, but at the same time, anyone who posts here could fill in as GGGs trainer if hes going to be taking easy fights.

"Anyone"? Does that include Miles?

Seriously though, I'd have to know the particulars first. Did Abel ask for a million dollar raise? Did GGG ask him to take a pay cut? I just don't know exactly what it's all about. It does seem odd, however, that a long time partnership would dissolve over money. The trainer is the Commander in Chief of your corner and your training for fights. Fighters owe their trainers a ton of credit. Seems disloyal to say the least to let go of a trainer over money. It'd be another thing if the trainer had outlived his usefulness and had nothing to offer in terms of raising your game to the next level. All fighters have ebbs and flows in quality of opponents. Doesn't mean you dump an Abel Sanchez. Then again maybe there's something they're not telling us. Maybe GGG holds a bit of a grudge in thinking it's somehow Abel's fault he didn't beat Ginger decisively enough to force the judges to grudgingly give him the nod. Who knows.
    You lost me at including miles.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    It is GGG prerogative who he hires and fires as it is his career and he steps into the ring. Even if it is about money, Abel will not teach Golovkin anything new.

Remember Holyfield did it with Emanuel Steward for the same reason.
    I think everyone agrees that it’s up to GGG to make his own decisions, but he has seemed to just get extra greedy lately. It’s a bad look. There’s nothing illegal about lowering your trainers wage, but when you get a huge raise and try to do it, it’s just a selfish move.
    Disagree the trainer should get less the closer to the end of the boxers career, their share should taper down.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just don't see it as a bright move by Golovkin not sure what he's thinking. What exactly will he look to improve boxing wise near the tail end of career. Can't help but think it just plays more into Canelo and promotions hands and loses one of the few key allies he's had over the last two screw jobs.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It is GGG prerogative who he hires and fires as it is his career and he steps into the ring. Even if it is about money, Abel will not teach Golovkin anything new.

I think everyone agrees that it’s up to GGG to make his own decisions, but he has seemed to just get extra greedy lately. It’s a bad look. There’s nothing illegal about lowering your trainers wage, but when you get a huge raise and try to do it, it’s just a selfish move.
    Disagree the trainer should get less the closer to the end of the boxers career, their share should taper down.
    Really? So a trainer who has brought you to the top should be thrown away once you have used them? I get it, but trainers are real people. They aren’t objects to throw away once they aren’t as useful. It’s called loyalty. You don’t have to be loyal, but it shows what type of a person you really are.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Really? So a trainer who has brought you to the top should be thrown away once you have used them? I get it, but trainers are real people. They aren’t objects to throw away once they aren’t as useful. It’s called loyalty. You don’t have to be loyal, but it shows what type of a person you really are.
    If it was someone like Ingle who trained Naz from a child I would understand loyalty but this is different. Trainer will continue his career, the fighter may not get an income as high again.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

GGG didn't offer specifics and all we get is Abel's side. But from the sounds of this, it looks like Golovkin was pretty shitty in his treatment of his longtime trainer. I guess it's his prerogative, but it's still shitty.

https://www.boxingscene.com/abel-san...al-pay--138341

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Supposedly Abel said GGG offered him 1/5 of what he was getting before... which sounds a little suspicious.

Either
    A.) This was a brush off. I don't want to fired you so i'm going to lowball you so bad you quit. Which doesn't seem likely because you can offer someone half of what they got before if you want them to quit.

B.) Someones in GGG's ear and told him he hasn't set up for his retirement properly by not fighting for big money before and he needs to trim the fat now. Which is unfair.

C.) Due to the ummm underlying tone of Sanchez's response. Maybe GGG was paying him more than the standard rate before and at the rate ggg is paid now, it seemed ridiculous to give him the same percentage (when you look at the dollar amount) of a much larger pie and tried to adjust the wage to a dollar amount that reflects what other trainers are receiving and got called Greedy. Supposedly the back and forth of the amount lasted a month. I can't see standing there for a month if you were super insulted with a 1/5th offer. You'd just tell someone to get f*cked and cut your losses. If you paid someone 10% of your previous 850k salary after taxes and it came to 50k over 8 weeks of training lodging training, meals etc. and now the same percentage nets him 1.2 -1.5 million dollars per fight. Thatr could seem like a lot the same thing. I mean from the the training vids we saw, it didn't seem like able was doing anything dynamic and didnt really seem to have a sense of urgency to change things up etc. He seem to reply on GGG's power to wear down opponents. I guess we wont know till we see what the new trainer provides for 1/5th of what Abel did.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If it’s true that GGG didn’t want to give Abel a raise then that’s awful. He has been a part of your team since day 1. GGG is a multimillionaire. Give Abel his due
    I think Abel spoke bollocks after the last fight and has made GGG somewhat one dimensional. He should have been given the boot sooner IMO.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can see it both ways. There is loyalty and all that, but at the same time, anyone who posts here could fill in as GGGs trainer if hes going to be taking easy fights.

Seriously though, I'd have to know the particulars first. Did Abel ask for a million dollar raise? Did GGG ask him to take a pay cut? I just don't know exactly what it's all about. It does seem odd, however, that a long time partnership would dissolve over money. The trainer is the Commander in Chief of your corner and your training for fights. Fighters owe their trainers a ton of credit. Seems disloyal to say the least to let go of a trainer over money. It'd be another thing if the trainer had outlived his usefulness and had nothing to offer in terms of raising your game to the next level. All fighters have ebbs and flows in quality of opponents. Doesn't mean you dump an Abel Sanchez. Then again maybe there's something they're not telling us. Maybe GGG holds a bit of a grudge in thinking it's somehow Abel's fault he didn't beat Ginger decisively enough to force the judges to grudgingly give him the nod. Who knows.
    I would train you in a heartbeat. My kind of training.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wouldn't mind seeing a final stand with Freddie Roach. Mind you, if it is about money then that is gay. I don't get these super rich people that become all about money.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If GGG just wanted him gone then he should have done what basically every other fighter does. Just say you are going a different direction. If GGG really doesn’t believe that Abel was effective anymore then just say it. I’m sure the money thing is true because I couldn’t imagine GGG or his team would sit back and allow such a complete lie to circulate without at least denying it

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post

Yeah, cuz one beat is all your heart could manage, you fumbling imbecile.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post

Yeah, cuz one beat is all your heart could manage, you fumbling imbecile.
    Oscar Wilde is probably not missing the Internet very much.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Haha, Thanks miles, I really like Oscar wilde.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Funk Abel Sanchez, it's not a father/son-Ward/Virgil relationship, he's only been with Golovkin for half-a-dozen years and was chosen from any amount of trainers. Why? Most likely because Big Bear is a lovely gaff to train and Sanchez is great with the media (consider Golovkin couldn't speak a lick of English).

Golovkin had over 500 fights before either knew the other existed.

This is par for the course throughout boxing history - boxer/trainer/manager/promoter fall out over dosh.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Thread Information