Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Joshua v Ruiz

Anthony Joshua vs Andy Ruiz Jr undercard: Callum Smith to defend WBA title against Hassan N’Dam

Callum Smith will defend his world title against Hassan N’Dam on the Anthony Joshua vs Andy Ruiz Jr undercard on 1 June.

Smith took the WBA super-middleweight strap from George Groves in the final of last year’s World Boxing Super Series – a fight that turned out to be the Londoner’s last before retirement.

The 29-year-old Liverpudlian defends his belt for the first time against 35-year-old N’Dam, who holds a professional record of 37 wins (21 via knockout) and three defeats.

The Frenchman secured a surprise victory over Martin Murray in Manchester last December but has spent the majority of his professional career fighting at middleweight.

Smith’s title defence joins a promising card headlined by Joshua defending his IBF, WBA (Super) and WBO heavyweight titles against Ruiz on his US debut.

Katie Taylor will attempt to unify the women’s lightweight division when she takes on WBC champion Delfine Persoon.

Josh Kelly, one of Great Britain’s brightest welterweight prospects, will take on the experienced Ray Robinson, while Tommy Coyle will take on Chris Algieri for the WBO international super-lightweight strap.

Croydon’s Josh Buasti is also expected to be added to the card.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/ant...120400972.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's quite handy for AJ, he might be able to get Ruiz to give him a lift home in his Uber after the fight
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not interested in these heavyweights until they start fighting each other

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anthony Joshua ‘to have two fight deal with Deontay Wilder in UK and US’ as heavyweight star cools off in ice bath

Heavyweight world champions have failed to agree terms for an undisputed showdown for the past two years with offers being sent from both parties

ANTHONY JOSHUA could fight Deontay Wilder in both the UK and US as part of a two-fight deal, revealed the unified heavyweight champ’s manager.

The heavyweight world champions have failed to agree terms for an undisputed showdown for the past two years with offers being sent by both parties.

Joshua's manager Freddie Cunningham told Sky Sports the solution will be a two-fight deal with both boxers fighting on home and away soil.

Cunningham said: "I think if the fight is going to happen, it's going to be a two-fight deal whatever, so it's going to be one here and one there.

"It makes sense to do it that way. They are both huge names in their territories.

“Why not give the fans in America what they want and give the British fans what they want, so I think it will happen, possibly both, but I don't know which way around."

Wilder, 33, the WBC king, was advised to walk away from a three-fight deal presented to him by AJ’s US network DAZN.

The Bronze Bomber remained with Showtime for his last fight - a first round KO of Dominic Breazeale - while Joshua, 29, is left to face Jarrell Miller replacement Andy Ruiz Jr on June 1.

AJ, who was captured cooling down in an ice bath after training, defends his WBA, IBF and WBO belts at New York’s illustrious Madison Square Garden.

It will mark the Watford ace’s first venture in the US.

Joshua’s manager explained it is an opportunity for the unified champ to “showcase who he is” - with an emphatic KO sure to impress the US audience.

Cunningham added: "It starts with the fighting, his style, what he brings to the ring, the knockout will be the first part.

"Outside of it, I think it's just being himself. If you're one of those guys that maybe talks the talk you only go so far.

“You need to be a bit wider and he's got all the ingredients, he's personable. I think the American public like him as well.

“They seem to get on well with him, it's just showcasing who he is. Do everything in the ring, everything exciting there, and he can showcase who he is."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/boxin...ht-deal-us-uk/

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Been thinking that Ruiz does much better than expected over the first half. All the pieces for a major let down for Joshua are there though thinking shocking upset is a biiiig ol stretch. But I think Ruiz will find him often and may even be up on cards before his face falls apart and the roof falls in on the huge underdog.

So so undercard. Josh Taylor v Ray Robinson might turn into a decent little scrap. Glad Robinson is getting the shot after being screwed by the judges last time out.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This fight goes the distance and will be VERY VERY entertaining.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Periban has anything left this is a decent test for Buatsi.
    Periban hasbeenthe distance with Badou Jack, Yildirim & Bika before but was banged out by Degale in a few rounds.

Joshua Buatsi vs Marco Antonio Periban on Joshua undercard - 'Perfect test' says Eddie Hearn

https://www.secondsout.com/news/josh...ys-eddie-hearn

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I may put a few quid on Ruiz .
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Andy ruiz really didn't look very good v Parker, Parker outnworked him and as far as I remember ruiz never had parker in much trouble at all. And Joshua is, bigger, stronger and just better than Parker, I'm not sure where this confidence in ruiz is coming from, ruiz is going to be splatted :S

It would be really funny if ruiz did win though.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    Andy ruiz really didn't look very good v Parker, Parker outnworked him and as far as I remember ruiz never had parker in much trouble at all. And Joshua is, bigger, stronger and just better than Parker, I'm not sure where this confidence in ruiz is coming from, ruiz is going to be splatted :S

It would be really funny if ruiz did win though.
    He may vey well be splatted . But lesser men have risen to occasions when surrounded by doubt. CRazy will be the shot of them ring center resembling some before and after diet-work out program.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Andy Ruiz plans to adopt Mike Tyson technique to exploit Anthony Joshua's 'weaknesses'

Andy Ruiz, who challenges the unbeaten Anthony Joshua for his three world heavyweight title belts at Madison Square Garden on June 1, says that he has been working on techniques used by Mike Tyson when he fought larger heavyweights and will try to to exploit "a lot of weaknesses" he has identified in the champion's style.

“I’ve seen a lot of weaknesses in him and I’ve seen him working on them. The main thing is to stick to the game plan. I don’t want to say too much about his weaknesses. I’ve just got to improvise and exploit them when the bell rings,” explained the 29-year-old Mexican-American in an exclusive interview with The Telegraph.

“We’ve seen a lot of videos of Mike Tyson. We’re working on some of the moves he did so I can get to Anthony Joshua. The main thing is we’ve got to stay focused and prepared. Get ready for anything and stay in shape.”

Ruiz, beaten just once on points by the former WBO champion Joseph Parker in a 32-fight career believes many of his opponents underrate him because of his physique. Ruiz is 6ft 2in and 18st but he moves well on his feet. Former promoter Bob Arum called him "a fat slob" when the fight with Joshua was announced. “I’m used to it," laughed Ruiz. "All my life everybody has been underestimating me until they see me fight, until they see me knock someone out. Then it’s: ‘Look at this chubby kid go.’

"All the people are underestimating me, but it’ll be a hell of a fight. They’re going to see what I’ve got. I’m here to shock everybody, shock the world and show them what I’m all about.”

"I’m ready for Anthony Joshua. Hopefully he’s overlooking me, thinking I’ll be a piece of cake. It’s a whole different ballgame when they’re in the ring with me. Once they see the speed and accuracy I have, I know I will shock him a lot.”

Ruiz is bolstered by what he calls his "destiny" to become the first Mexican heavyweight champion of the world. Ruiz, ranked No14, got the call with less than six weeks notice after Joshua's original opponent, Jarrell Miller, failed three random, out-of-competition drug tests.

“I think it’s going to be an all-out war," Ruiz told The Sunday Telegraph. "I see them raising my hand and telling me, ‘And the new!’ I've dreamed this before. That’s why I was harassing Eddie Hearn to get the fight. I knew I could do better than the other guys he was taking to. I knew I could do better than any of them. I’d sparred a lot of them and whupped their a----. It’s going to be an amazing fight.”

“In the dream that I had all I heard was: ‘And the new heavyweight champion of the world!’ This is a real life dream. I was sleeping and woke up in training camp. I told my little brother. Dreams are dreams and reality is reality. We have to make the dreams happen. June 1, I’m going to do all I can to follow those dreams and make them reality.”

Should the huge underdog emerge victorious, he will pursue fights with Tyson Fury, the former heavyweight No1, and fellow American Deontay Wilder, the current WBC champion. “Fury really does entertain me. I’m a big fan of his even if he’s said bad things about me. I really don’t care. I think he’s got a big personality and heart. What I love about him is he believes in God just like me. He lost 140lbs. That’s something I’m trying to do. He overcame a big downfall so I give him credit for doing that and fighting the best. The Wilder fight was brilliant. I saw him winning the fight but I think the last knockdown made a difference. I think the draw was a good call.”

As for Wilder, he added: “I’d love to fight Wilder. They say everyone is scared of him, I’m not scared of nobody. He’s signed to the same people I am, so of course down the line we’ll make that fight happen. You’ll see Wilder and Andy Ruiz one of these days.”

But right now, Joshua's chin is his target. “It’s going to be a hell of a fight. Two big heavyweights punching each other in the face, trying to tear each other apart. It’s going to be an exciting fight.”

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/and...160437985.html

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anthony Joshua v Andy Ruiz Jr: World champion needs Deontay Wilder title

Unified world heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua says he will only feel he has "made it" in boxing if he captures Deontay Wilder's WBC title.

The 29-year-old faces Andy Ruiz Jr on Saturday and told BBC Sport he does not feel "burnt out" as a fight week begins for the first time in a decade.

"I've never been in a fight week where I have felt so energised," he said.

Meanwhile Ruiz has revealed he got the New York fight by "bugging" Joshua's promoter Eddie Hearn on Instagram.

Joshua, the WBA, IBF and WBO champion, cut a relaxed figure as he spoke on a New York rooftop, his hands sporting plasters and his cheeks showing small blemishes likely picked up in sparring at the Miami training base he has used to prepare for his US debut.

Saturday's fight at Madison Square Garden will see him end nine months of inactivity, during which talks with Wilder have yielded nothing in the shape of a historic contest where one man could win all four heavyweight world titles for the first time.

Asked if the glamour of New York and billboards sporting his name mean he has made it, Joshua replied: "Yeah, it looks like I've made it but it's only when I put my hand on the last title - and win on Saturday - then I can say I've made it.

"It's been down to calculated steps. It's been a good journey, a tough journey. On the sides of the journey there are billboards, then with time, two billboards but it's all about winning this sport.

"I haven't put a foot wrong yet and I am not looking to put a foot wrong on Saturday either."

Wilder - who is expected to face Luis Ortiz in his next bout - will not be at 'The Garden' on Saturday but his manager Shelly Finkel will.

There appears little chance of any contest with Joshua in the coming 12 months, meaning both men risk losing their huge payday and unification bout with a defeat before then.

But Joshua, who stopped the respected Alexander Povetkin last time out, has previously warned delays will only make him better and feels the preparations for this fight are his best ever, refining methods after almost 11 years in the sport.

"I've had 10 years of that feeling of being burnt out by the time I get to the ring," the 2012 Olympic champion told BBC Sport.

"Even in the Povetkin fight I was so ill and tired. This camp, I knew I couldn't afford that again and again as it shortens the career. So it's learning but it's taken time. We are finally pulling it together.

"It's time to rebuild that name again. I feel like an underdog and like I want to prove myself."

Ruiz, born in California of Mexican heritage, will give away around four inches in height and substantial reach to Joshua.

But the 29-year-old, who lost a world-title shot against Joseph Parker in 2016, appeared entirely at ease before countless media in New York and said he pounced on the chance to face Joshua when American Jarrell Miller failed drugs tests to lose his chance at the titles.

"I was bugging Eddie Hearn on Instagram, saying 'give me the chance I can do better than the other guys lined up'," said Ruiz, who has one loss in 33 fights.

"He messaged me back and I was telling my partner 'hey babe he messaged back'. And what do you know, we got the fight on."

Part of the fight week narrative is expected to focus on the physique of Ruiz, who weighed 262lbs in his last contest, meaning he will likely be the heaviest opponent Joshua has faced.

The pair will both workout before the public in Manhattan on Tuesday, offering media a glimpse of Ruiz's condition.

"I feel amazing, my conditioning is good," he added. "Miller gave me the opportunity but I'm here now to make history.

"This is for my Mexican people and kids. I wake up, run, train, all the sweat is for my kids' futures and it's for Mexico, to be the country's first heavyweight champion of the world."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/48430161

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I reckon Katie Taylor v Delfine Persoon might steal the show on Saturday.
    Persoon has had 43 fights compared to Taylors 13 so if she pulls this off she becomes a Global superstar.
    This'll be an out and out war.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    I will be having a flutter on Ruiz if he is long odds.
    Bet365 has ruis 125/1 for the first 2 rounds then 150/1 thereafter. The combination round odds don't work out maths wise as good value, so I just had a £ a round.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by nuggetdotcom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    I will be having a flutter on Ruiz if he is long odds.
    Bet365 has ruis 125/1 for the first 2 rounds then 150/1 thereafter. The combination round odds don't work out maths wise as good value, so I just had a £ a round.
    18/1 Ruiz by ko , hmm may go for a late win at those odds.
    Ruiz does have a good chin and engine £20 on that isn't a bad flutter.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Thread Information