Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default DAZN pulls in over 1 Million viewers for Canelo v Jacobs

Thats impressive figures considering how long DAZN has been going.

DAZN released their viewing figures for Canelo Alvarez v Daniel Jacobs this week and are obviously very happy at what transpired last weekend.

With between 700k and 900k tuning in on US soil, and a further 300k plus around the word, Canelo v Jacobs represents the first one million plus achievement in the sport for the platform.

Proof that signing up Canelo for a massive fee was no gamble, the earnings are staggering due to the sign-up fees involved.

Subscribers would have to fork out at least $9.99 to watch the event and take the whole month’s schedule. Some paid $100 for a year, whilst others paid $19.99 after the recent changes.

Times that by the 1.2m worldwide projections and DAZN could be onto a winner despite prior doubts.

The $30m paycheck handed out to Canelo can be fully justified given the circumstances.

On what transpired, despite some punters experiencing difficulties watching the event, DAZN hailed the night a success and denied any significant issues.

“Canelo Alvarez outpointed Daniel “Miracle Man” Jacobs to unify the WBA, WBC and IBF middleweight world titles on Saturday night. More than 1.2 million people worldwide watched live on DAZN across the company’s eight current markets.

“In addition to the United States, home to the vast majority of the viewership, the fight was also available to DAZN subscribers in Austria and Canada. Also in Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain and Switzerland.

“Company officials deemed the event a success. Canelo v Jacobs generated significant paid subscriptions – both annual and monthly – to deliver against projected revenue targets.

“Despite the heavy influx of viewers and new subscribers, the platform produced a reliable stream. No substantial technical or buffering issues were detected.

“Canelo vs. Jacobs marks an important moment for DAZN’s U.S. business since it launched in September 2018. Dramatically growing its subscriber base ahead of major upcoming events at Madison Square Garden including Anthony Joshua’s U.S. debut on June 1.

“Plus Gennadiy “GGG” Golovkin’s return on June 8, and Bellator 222: Machida vs. Sonnen on June 14.

https://www.worldboxingnews.net/2019...mbers-success/

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: DAZN pulls in over 1 Million viewers for Canelo v Jacobs

That'll be hard to top considering it's the Canelo show. He's the anchor thus far but let's see how Joshua does Stateside. Bit po'd with Dazn before the fight, they killed my 'Grandfathering' in at 9.99 until 2020 because I simply changed my card-payment method on account. Apparently that's 'cancelling' your account or some horse shat but it was just changing payment method over a couple of hours ffs. One of the first to sign up but now it's 19.99 or 100 annual. The only reps I could get were wanker bots who hated the idea of customer satisfaction apparently.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    That'll be hard to top considering it's the Canelo show. He's the anchor thus far but let's see how Joshua does Stateside. Bit po'd with Dazn before the fight, they killed my 'Grandfathering' in at 9.99 until 2020 because I simply changed my card-payment method on account. Apparently that's 'cancelling' your account or some horse shat but it was just changing payment method over a couple of hours ffs. One of the first to sign up but now it's 19.99 or 100 annual. The only reps I could get were wanker bots who hated the idea of customer satisfaction apparently.
    That actually is pretty crooked.... Bad work dazn....

Getting one million viewers for a geezer they're paying 30 million a fight for is a pretty bad return... I assume dazn don't actually want to make off alvarez so I hope this gets them the exposure they need.... Although once they get big and famous the value will go way down, but wotever dazn is immense right now so I'll love it whilst it's still great.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They need to branch out to other countries. I would HAPPILY pay to watch fights as they have simply stopped showing them on TV here. It is very frustrating. There are boxing fans all over the world. Expand the services so that everybody can enjoy a big fight. It is one reason I don't post boxing like I once did as I simply get frozen out. Calzaghe, Hatton and all those guys used to be shown, but all long since stopped.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    They need to branch out to other countries. I would HAPPILY pay to watch fights as they have simply stopped showing them on TV here. It is very frustrating. There are boxing fans all over the world. Expand the services so that everybody can enjoy a big fight. It is one reason I don't post boxing like I once did as I simply get frozen out. Calzaghe, Hatton and all those guys used to be shown, but all long since stopped.
    They do branch out, they're working In four continents, they're a bit of a new service though so it's not always so easy to just buy into certain countries, hopefully trey succeed and bring together many sports(like they've done in Canada) to make it such an undeniable great service that it is right now in Canada. People seem to have a weird aversion to anything new though... I also expect sports streaming to take over and then become like normal cable or sky tv and we will be back to the start.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    They do branch out, they're working In four continents, they're a bit of a new service though so it's not always so easy to just buy into certain countries, hopefully trey succeed and bring together many sports(like they've done in Canada) to make it such an undeniable great service that it is right now in Canada. People seem to have a weird aversion to anything new though... I also expect sports streaming to take over and then become like normal cable or sky tv and we will be back to the start.
    I looked into them as I would like to sign up, but still not working in many countries. I hope it is just a matter of time because there is an audience for the content. I really don't mind a hundred quid just to watch fights regularly, but I need the service first.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    That actually is pretty crooked.... Bad work dazn....

Getting one million viewers for a geezer they're paying 30 million a fight for is a pretty bad return... I assume dazn don't actually want to make off alvarez so I hope this gets them the exposure they need.... Although once they get big and famous the value will go way down, but wotever dazn is immense right now so I'll love it whilst it's still great.
    It felt like a hoodwink. I signed up in Oct. and to not get a decent response..a real response..to inquiries was just bad business. Now month to month I'll rethink laying out $20 a month.

Be interested to see how it pans out with all the long money on Canelo and Joshua. Sure it's not Hearns money but boxing is just a cog in the wheel of Dazn. They're invested in everything from footy to mma to Nascar to MLB Baseball etc. and I don't get the general feeling that some of what Hearn spouts has big picture thinking behind it. Time will tell. I'm not one to believe streaming is the 100 percent future, god help us if so. Location is a big part too as I realized locally parts of the City are not fully upgraded to high speed and the delay is noticeable come fight night .

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hope people understand that views does not equal subscriptions. It’s like Netflix with the subscriber and then the leeches. That’s why they say concurrent views, it counts me and my leeches even though it’s only 1 subscription.

Thread Information