Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Jarrett Hurd v Julian Williams ITV 4 - 11th May 2019

Fan-friendly Jarrett Hurd wants to make it a one-sided fight vs. Julian Williams

There is nothing logical or sane about boxing matchmaking. The fights the public most wants to see are the ones that are seemingly the most difficult to put together.

But the picture is a little clearer for Jarrett Hurd, the unified super welterweight champion who fights Julian Williams on Saturday at EagleBank Arena in Fairfax, Virginia, for the IBF-WBA titles in a bout televised on Fox.

Hurd wants to become the undisputed super welterweight champion and be recognized as one of the pound-for-pound greats in the sport.

The path toward those goals is a lot clearer and more direct than it is for other fighters who harbor similar aspirations. There are plenty of good potential opponents for Hurd, beginning with Williams, a highly regarded boxer from Philadelphia who is 26-1-1 with 16 knockouts and whose only loss was to Jermall Charlo.

Other potential Hurd opponents, like Jermell Charlo and WBC champion Tony Harrison, are also with the Premier Boxing Champions.

And, if truth be told, Hurd already has a good argument to make for inclusion on the mythical pound-for-pound list. He’s 23-0 with 16 KOs in a young career that already includes victories over Erislandy Lara, Harrison and Austin Trout.

He’s also likely to gain attention because he fights a fan-friendly style. When he’s queried about his defense, he points out correctly that he is hit more now than earlier in his career because he’s facing better opponents, but he’s not one to shy away from contact.

If you like Hurd as a fighter, it’s because you know there’s a better-than-even chance he’s going to make it a memorable slugfest.

“My defense is getting better, but what people have to understand is that I kept stepping up the competition I was facing,” Hurd said. “So of course I got hit more, but if you look at the stats, my opponent got hit even more than me. Because of my style it looks like I take a lot of punches. I expect to get hit in this fight but, I’m ready to hit him more.

“It’s hard to tell what type of fight this is going to be. I want to say that he's going to try to box, but I said that about Erislandy Lara and we saw that he stood toe-to-toe with me. Because of my size, I don't really think Julian Williams is going to try to do that. He's going to try to get his shots off and score points and make it through 12 rounds.”

Hurd is a monstrous super welterweight, and there are legitimate questions about whether he can continue to make the division’s 154-pound weight limit much longer. Terence Crawford, the WBO welterweight champion and Yahoo Sports’ pound-for-pound best boxer in the world, posted a photo of himself on Twitter with Hurd:

Hurd dwarfs Crawford, though they are only a division apart. His size enables him to physically manhandle opponents when need be, and combined with his athleticism makes him a difficult challenge for anyone in the division.

Williams has fought on the same card as Hurd the last two times they’ve competed, so they have a good sense of what to expect.

Williams has been working to get back to the championship level since being stopped by Jermall Charlo, who now hold the WBC middleweight title. And though it’s been two-and-a-half years, he never doubted he’d get the opportunity.

“I knew 100 percent that I would get another shot,” Williams said. “I know that I’m a top 154-pound fighter. I just had to get back in there and keep fighting. You can't stay down too long. You just get back up on the horse. I knew this time would be coming. I think that all of my fights have prepared me for this opportunity, not just the Charlo fight.

“I learned from the 21 fights I had before that too. The Charlo fight gave me a chance to go back to the drawing board and work on a bunch of things. I have championship experience and that's invaluable.”

Williams isn’t averse to letting his hands go and trading shots, but it seems unlikely he’ll try that tact with Hurd simply because of Hurd’s huge frame.

Hurd, though, says he’s prepared for whatever Williams may bring.

“My confidence level is sky high,” Hurd said. “I want to make it one-sided all the way through. I have a different game plan for each fight. You never know what style I’ll bring out.”

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/jar...202755540.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Jarrett Hurd v Julian Williams ITV 4 - 11th May 2019

Started a thread on this one a month ago and it sank like a rock . I don't get it. Should be a pretty entertaining fight. http://www.saddoboxing.com/boxingfor...ay-11-fox.html

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sorry did not see it, could have merged it but done now. Too late for me to watch live.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I give Williams a good chance, he should certainly land a lot of what he wants to early. He got caught bad against Charlo but did pretty well to come back and make it a fight, and Im not sure Hurd is the same kind of puncher. Since Hurd seemingly isnt about to improve his defence, we might see him take a lot of shots early even by his standards. Youd think the longer it goes the more he’ll take over, but that might not be giving Williams enough credit either. Interesting fight, should be fun.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I’m just not that high on J rock. He isn’t bad but Hurd is much better. I see it like a normal Hurd fight. J rock will have some success landing early but will get worn down and the ref will stop the fight late in the fight.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No worries Master lets just hope for a good fight . Agree with P4P too and can see J-Rock doing well early. Hurd being so hittable may be to much to resist though and he may get away from his boxing and then Hurd sucks him into a firefight. The two at weigh in physically look like guys going in two different directions. Hurd is massive he just saps a guys energy.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who knew. So Matt Korobov comes off a very tight somewhat controversial 'L' to top ranked Charlo and tonight just escaped with a D.10 v one Immanuwel Aleem. Origianally called a Korobov W but judges can't add correctly . Sounds legit. Hurd is 28 and still lives at home with Mum .
    Last edited by Spicoli; 05-12-2019 at 09:52 PM.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That arena is packed in Hurds hometown. Massive fight and crowd atmosphere, that's how you do it. Big respects for Bert Cooper and Harold Lederman in final 10 counts. Two genuine contributions to the sport who made us great memories.
    Last edited by Spicoli; 05-12-2019 at 10:31 PM.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Some really sharp jabbing from Williams leaves Hurd lurching a few times. Takes 1st but he'll have to be near perfect outside to get through the eventual storm of Hurd inside. Looks very tight and size difference telling.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ohh nice counter right and Hurd down along ropes. Follow up left upper from Williams too. Wow.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Williams early and Hurd late in 3rd. Hurd bringing in that end all uppercut more. Just as and Williams lands a pin point right upper cut. Both landing quality stuff.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Williams working him a bit late forth. Really clocking him clean, good punch placement head and body. Hurd needs to get urgent and work. Williams turned that round back and can see him up 4-0 early on.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hurd's size/frame is massive, good comeback
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Man that got gritty end of 5th. Hurd finally let them roll off and ended strong. Williams backed him majority of round landing much sharper. Top notch give and take by both. Hurd turning it up now..buckle up.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Savage 6th round. Two black American's playing at Mexican.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Thread Information