Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Pacquiao vs Thurman

So apparently this fight has been made for the end of July. This is the first top fighter that Pacquiao has fought in a long time. I think that Pacquiao wins this but Thurman is obviously a good fighter who has a good chance at winning.

The one thing I like about this fight is that the winner would seem to have to fight Spence next.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Pacquiao vs Thurman

Thurman should beat Manny but he has declined since his inactivity but hope he has enough to beat Pac Man.

It will be a good indicator to where Thurman is at now.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i feel that both are damaged goods at this point and no longer their best versions. I actually favor Manny in this one. Manny is at the age and has the wear and tear to get old overnight, but I think he is catching Thurman at the right time and just has too much speed for Keith.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    i feel that both are damaged goods at this point and no longer their best versions. I actually favor Manny in this one. Manny is at the age and has the wear and tear to get old overnight, but I think he is catching Thurman at the right time and just has too much speed for Keith.
    Which is what makes this a good matchup. This is to find out who is the 3rd best welterweight in the world.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thurman may have been blunted by inactivity & that makes him a bit of an unknown quantity, but he isn't Adrian Broner.

Pacquiao is well beyond his prime at 41 & that will become hugely apparent if he takes on a big dog like Thurman, even if Thurman isn't fully back to his vintage best yet.
    Last edited by Syntax Error; 05-19-2019 at 07:37 AM.
    The legend of Drederick Tatum!Hidden Content

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Always a chance that Pac grows old in the ring, but I reckon he’s got too much for a faded Thurman.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Manny Pacquiao vs Keith Thurman official: Legendary Filipino set for super fight this summer

“This summer just got a little hotter,” Manny Pacquiao proclaimed last night, confirming his super fight with Keith Thurman for the welterweight world title is officially on.

The legendary Filipino will battle the charismatic American on July 20 in Las Vegas at a venue to be named, with the fight made official during the broadcast of Jarrett Hurd vs Julian Williams.

Thurman added: “It’s finally official! Time to put on a show for the world.”

Thurman endured a 22-month lay-off in January following his split decision victory over Danny Garcia in March 2017.

After recovering from elbow surgery and then a deep bruise on his left hand, Thurman failed to impress despite winning against Josesito Lopez.

The veteran Pacquiao has rebuilt since a stunning upset to Jeff Horn in July 2017, with back-to-back wins over Lucas Matthysse and Adrien Broner earlier this year.

Pacquiao was talked about as an opponent for Errol Spence Jr after his one-sided victory over Mikey Garcia, who was also previously linked to fighting the 40-year-old.

But the fight failed to materialise, with the IBF champion Spence Jr now set to unify against WBC champion Shawn Porter. Thurman, meanwhile, has jumped at the chance to make history against a future hall-of-famer, explaining that the time is right.

“Manny Pacquiao is not going to be here for the years to come. Just fighting a legend, I just feel like the clock is ticking,” Thurman remarked after edging Lopez.

“Later this year if that fight presents itself, I would definitely be open for negotiations and I would love an opportunity to fight a legend.

“He’s not the young Manny Pacquiao that he once was but he still is a great, world-class fighter. If we get that fight, we’d be happy to do it for ourselves and the fans.”

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/man...074600149.html

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Best part about this fight is that they aren’t interfering with the relevant fighters. Otherwise it’s disgusting. Thurman chooses to duck Spence and is rewarded with the fight he always wanted for it. And Manny decides Thurman looks broken so he chooses him. Neither have shown any interest in the true challenges in years, just David Haye-ing out their careers.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agreed, If you accept that Thurman isnt likely to fight Spence or Crawford anyways, this is a fine match up on its own. Hes probably the best fighter that Pacquiao is willing to fight and could beat, I see it as a total pick em and should have its moments.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Geeeez..... tough crowd here as always. Let the Thurman's and Pacquiao's fight for crying out loud. Contrary to popular belief, not EVERY fight in boxing can be the Best Against the Best. If it was, we'd run out of fights to make pretty quickly. I'm not a fan of marinating, especially since Fishnets was the one who coined and made that term famous. But the polar opposite, where no one is given a break to fight no one but the very best, is a bit naive and at best unrealistic. I myself look forward to this fight. Spence and Crawford will be there waiting at the end.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wasn't 2019 the year Thurman was setting for a showdown with Spence . I really don't have a problem at all with this one considering both have declined a bit for different reasons. I think Thurman is making a mistake if he thinks that inactivity and being that mentally and physically idle will have no after effects going forward. Style wise Thurman has been riding enough bicycles to qualify for Tour De France but that should definite him here if his timing in on. Manny hand speed even at 41 can be a problem for Thurman too. Manny is on the end and he knows it but he knows how to scrap the marrow from the bones of a great career. Thurman always has questions being asked, Manny sees that. Leaning Manny at the moment.

But PPV..nah.
    Last edited by Spicoli; 05-13-2019 at 08:02 PM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Best part about this fight is that they aren’t interfering with the relevant fighters. Otherwise it’s disgusting. Thurman chooses to duck Spence and is rewarded with the fight he always wanted for it. And Manny decides Thurman looks broken so he chooses him. Neither have shown any interest in the true challenges in years, just David Haye-ing out their careers.
    I think it will force the winners hand to fight Spence. I hope anyway...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just goes to show how good Pacquiao and Mayweather were; at 41 Pac is still considered a challenge for a guy who's still more or less in his prime. Saying that I would like Pac to call it a day now to avoid giving these young guns a victory over such a legend that they would have never beaten in his prime.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Manny just made a totally excusable error ..... when he said that he liked Uma Thurman's box, and he wanted to poke her around the ring.

Some idiot just signed the wrong Thurman!
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Geeeez..... tough crowd here as always. Let the Thurman's and Pacquiao's fight for crying out loud. Contrary to popular belief, not EVERY fight in boxing can be the Best Against the Best. If it was, we'd run out of fights to make pretty quickly. I'm not a fan of marinating, especially since Fishnets was the one who coined and made that term famous. But the polar opposite, where no one is given a break to fight no one but the very best, is a bit naive and at best unrealistic. I myself look forward to this fight. Spence and Crawford will be there waiting at the end.

What’s naive is to pretend anyone is asking everyone to fight the best NEXT. Name 1 fight in boxing that is scheduled, hell I’ll be generous and add what has happened so far this year, where the number 1 guy fought or is fighting the number 2. It doesn’t happen, so nobody is demanding the best fight the best always. The sport loses ground every day in America because Thurman has hid from Spence for years, because hiding in plain sight is so common. Because if that hiding and his opponents hiding is mentioned, boxing fans are so broken that they say it is naive to want best vs the best. UFC has no issues finding opponents, they must have such a deep pool, no wait it’s not 1/100th of boxing’s. If the best do fight the best the excitement for the next guy grows, then the next. Fight the best SOMETIMES.

It wasn’t that long ago it happened in boxing, FFS Pacquiao did it, this era can too. Don’t be broken by the nonsense.

Thread Information