0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Pacquiao vs Thurman

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Geeeez..... tough crowd here as always. Let the Thurman's and Pacquiao's fight for crying out loud. Contrary to popular belief, not EVERY fight in boxing can be the Best Against the Best. If it was, we'd run out of fights to make pretty quickly. I'm not a fan of marinating, especially since Fishnets was the one who coined and made that term famous. But the polar opposite, where no one is given a break to fight no one but the very best, is a bit naive and at best unrealistic. I myself look forward to this fight. Spence and Crawford will be there waiting at the end.

What’s naive is to pretend anyone is asking everyone to fight the best NEXT. Name 1 fight in boxing that is scheduled, hell I’ll be generous and add what has happened so far this year, where the number 1 guy fought or is fighting the number 2. It doesn’t happen, so nobody is demanding the best fight the best always. The sport loses ground every day in America because Thurman has hid from Spence for years, because hiding in plain sight is so common. Because if that hiding and his opponents hiding is mentioned, boxing fans are so broken that they say it is naive to want best vs the best. UFC has no issues finding opponents, they must have such a deep pool, no wait it’s not 1/100th of boxing’s. If the best do fight the best the excitement for the next guy grows, then the next. Fight the best SOMETIMES.

It wasn’t that long ago it happened in boxing, FFS Pacquiao did it, this era can too. Don’t be broken by the nonsense.

You must dislike the WBSS. For that matter, you must dislike any type of playoff bracket in sports. Why bother, right? Just pick the consensus #1 and #2 and to hell with the rest. We save on games... we save on time... we save on drama. Hey... we would ALL like Crawford-Spence on a weekly basis. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Huge fights need to be....... "worked up to". Strange concept, I know... but it's what playoffs are based on. There's only one #1 and only one #2 in any division (save the alphabet complications). Don't know about you... but it's ok by me if #1 fights #4 while #2 fights #3, on the way to having #1 against #2 (if nothing goes awry in the process).

Thurman? Yeah... he's a ducker. But not everyone who doesn't IMMEDIATELY attempt Mt. Everest while eschewing all other peaks is a ducker. UFC is a shitty example. Remember, they're the relative new kid on the block to boxing... and they can't afford to be farting around with #3's and #4's. They need to sell and they need to sell now.

Pacquiao? Yeah... he did it alright. That's why he's a bonafide ATG. No qualms on that.

Difference here is... I prefer the traditional working your way to the top. You obviously prefer start at the top and pick up the chips from there. Meh..... different strokes and all that.
    You really changed what I said to make your point. So much that it doesn’t look like you are speaking to me. Again, you say I expect EVERY fight to be top guy vs top guy. I ask you to name 1 this year, just 1. Instead of acknowledging that not 1 time has that happened in all of boxing in all of this year you switch to how I don’t like tournaments. Sure, it’s nonsense but if you put words in my mouth I’m wrong right? Is this really Primo?

I love tournaments because they get to the answers sometimes. I just want some of the answers sometimes. But that’s too much to ask right? I eagerly await your next switch

You are one ornery dude. Forgive the delay in reply, but it had been about since 3 weeks since I wrote you. Maybe you should @mention me if you want a quick response.

Anyway, I believe our friend Baal gave you two, and I'll add two more. Kovalev-Alvarez 2, and Hurd-Williams. If not #1 vs #2, surely enough quality in there to satisfy your ornery, "I want it now" needs.

Bent out of shape 'cause I mentioned tournaments? It's my way of saying that boxing is indeed trying to come around and force pitting the best against the best. My point is we can't have that every week, but of course you'll twist that around also.

(Beanz also liked this post)

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thurman also never had vada for his porter or garcia fights
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Geeeez..... tough crowd here as always. Let the Thurman's and Pacquiao's fight for crying out loud. Contrary to popular belief, not EVERY fight in boxing can be the Best Against the Best. If it was, we'd run out of fights to make pretty quickly. I'm not a fan of marinating, especially since Fishnets was the one who coined and made that term famous. But the polar opposite, where no one is given a break to fight no one but the very best, is a bit naive and at best unrealistic. I myself look forward to this fight. Spence and Crawford will be there waiting at the end.

What’s naive is to pretend anyone is asking everyone to fight the best NEXT. Name 1 fight in boxing that is scheduled, hell I’ll be generous and add what has happened so far this year, where the number 1 guy fought or is fighting the number 2. It doesn’t happen, so nobody is demanding the best fight the best always. The sport loses ground every day in America because Thurman has hid from Spence for years, because hiding in plain sight is so common. Because if that hiding and his opponents hiding is mentioned, boxing fans are so broken that they say it is naive to want best vs the best. UFC has no issues finding opponents, they must have such a deep pool, no wait it’s not 1/100th of boxing’s. If the best do fight the best the excitement for the next guy grows, then the next. Fight the best SOMETIMES.

It wasn’t that long ago it happened in boxing, FFS Pacquiao did it, this era can too. Don’t be broken by the nonsense.

You must dislike the WBSS. For that matter, you must dislike any type of playoff bracket in sports. Why bother, right? Just pick the consensus #1 and #2 and to hell with the rest. We save on games... we save on time... we save on drama. Hey... we would ALL like Crawford-Spence on a weekly basis. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Huge fights need to be....... "worked up to". Strange concept, I know... but it's what playoffs are based on. There's only one #1 and only one #2 in any division (save the alphabet complications). Don't know about you... but it's ok by me if #1 fights #4 while #2 fights #3, on the way to having #1 against #2 (if nothing goes awry in the process).

Thurman? Yeah... he's a ducker. But not everyone who doesn't IMMEDIATELY attempt Mt. Everest while eschewing all other peaks is a ducker. UFC is a shitty example. Remember, they're the relative new kid on the block to boxing... and they can't afford to be farting around with #3's and #4's. They need to sell and they need to sell now.

Pacquiao? Yeah... he did it alright. That's why he's a bonafide ATG. No qualms on that.

Difference here is... I prefer the traditional working your way to the top. You obviously prefer start at the top and pick up the chips from there. Meh..... different strokes and all that.
    You really changed what I said to make your point. So much that it doesn’t look like you are speaking to me. Again, you say I expect EVERY fight to be top guy vs top guy. I ask you to name 1 this year, just 1. Instead of acknowledging that not 1 time has that happened in all of boxing in all of this year you switch to how I don’t like tournaments. Sure, it’s nonsense but if you put words in my mouth I’m wrong right? Is this really Primo?

I love tournaments because they get to the answers sometimes. I just want some of the answers sometimes. But that’s too much to ask right? I eagerly await your next switch

You are one ornery dude. Forgive the delay in reply, but it had been about since 3 weeks since I wrote you. Maybe you should @mention me if you want a quick response.

Anyway, I believe our friend Baal gave you two, and I'll add two more. Kovalev-Alvarez 2, and Hurd-Williams. If not #1 vs #2, surely enough quality in there to satisfy your ornery, "I want it now" needs.

Bent out of shape 'cause I mentioned tournaments? It's my way of saying that boxing is indeed trying to come around and force pitting the best against the best. My point is we can't have that every week, but of course you'll twist that around also.

(Beanz also liked this post)
    You aren’t very perceptive if you think I’m ornery. I love how you jump right into making things up though. I get it, I called you out about how you want to steal rights from disadvantaged minorities and you recognized what you said was disgusting. So you’ve been after me ever since. It’s okay, I’ll take your assault if you learn. Well worth it.

Neither of those fights was 1-2 but it’s okay that what you say again isn’t true. The point is valid even if the details are not true.

I don’t have to twist your words, your posts are twisted. I’ll give you credit though, you’re really trying to be right about something you are so clearly wrong about. Boxing is not getting better. It loses ground every single day. I love the sport. I’ve competed in the sport. I work within the sport to this day in a very minor capacity. But I can be honest about it. 30 years ago boxing was king and the UFC was “human cockfighting”. UFC(and I don’t like MMA) has taken over by giving the people what they want. Boxing still tries to tell people what they want. And they’re wrong, and you’re wrong. The best could fight the best sometimes. No 5 year wait. Just fight. Sometimes. It used to happen, when boxing was king

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I believe pacquaio can do this. Thurman is vulnerable n ripe for the picking. I could be wrong tho n he’s still very good n tough to beat.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really don't want to get into a pissing contest with you, but you seem bent on creating one..... so ok.

You aren’t very perceptive if you think I’m ornery. I love how you jump right into making things up though. I get it, I called you out about how you want to steal rights from disadvantaged minorities and you recognized what you said was disgusting. So you’ve been after me ever since. It’s okay, I’ll take your assault if you learn. Well worth it.
    Ok first of all, this is the boxing board if you hadn't noticed. Try to keep it as such if you don't mind. Nobody here knows WTF you're on about, so I suggest you stow it or take it to the other boards.

Neither of those fights was 1-2 but it’s okay that what you say again isn’t true. The point is valid even if the details are not true.
    Nit-picky as well as ornery. You must be a blast at parties. Hey, if you want to split hairs and say they weren't 1-2, fine. I'll have a trophy engraved for you. Happy? The general point was you wanted top fighters fighting each other and those are prime examples. If that doesn't make you happy, then cool.

I don’t have to twist your words, your posts are twisted. I’ll give you credit though, you’re really trying to be right about something you are so clearly wrong about. Boxing is not getting better. It loses ground every single day. I love the sport. I’ve competed in the sport. I work within the sport to this day in a very minor capacity. But I can be honest about it. 30 years ago boxing was king and the UFC was “human cockfighting”. UFC(and I don’t like MMA) has taken over by giving the people what they want. Boxing still tries to tell people what they want. And they’re wrong, and you’re wrong. The best could fight the best sometimes. No 5 year wait. Just fight. Sometimes. It used to happen, when boxing was king

Other than the normal verbal sewage you normally spew, I'll give you a news flash Einstein. I'm not disagreeing with you on the "Boxing is not getting better" part. All I did was give boxing a little credit on stuff like the WBSS tournaments, which I tentatively bring up because I realize that causes your ulcer to flare up. So you're basically fighting alone, which isn't surprising because you'd probably try to punch out your own shadow if you could.

"30 years ago boxing was king and the UFC was human cockfighting"? No shit, Sherlock. Anybody here who's not a teenager knows that to be true. Personally I've never been an MMA fan (whatever name is cool with me, I still don't care much for it), but then again...... anyone here with more than two brain cells knows that UFC has gained ground whereas boxing has lost it. Know what, Angry One? The rest of the post is nothing I disagree with either. Boxing (promoters) DOES try and tell people what they want. We HAVE had 5 year waits and more (Floyd vs Pac being the poster child of that one).

So back to my main point, so you can go back to fighting with yourself. There ARE fights between top fighters on occasion. They tend to happen more at the lower weights where people (casuals) don't focus so much attention on. Are they always 1-2? (This being your fixation at the moment). No, sport. Sometimes they're 1-3. Oh NO!!!!! The shame! Someone as intelligent as you must know that rankings are subjective anyway, so who the f*ck cares whether the opponent is #2 or #3. All we want are the top fights, like you yourself say when you're not barking incomprehensibly.

Listen, go back to fighting with Primo about whether Joshua is ducking Wilder or not. That should keep you busy for several dozen pages.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    I believe pacquaio can do this. Thurman is vulnerable n ripe for the picking. I could be wrong tho n he’s still very good n tough to beat.
    I have heard on radio that Manny is so confident of winning this contest that he has lined up Khan later in the year.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    I have heard on radio that Manny is so confident of winning this contest that he has lined up Khan later in the year.

Manny's all about legacy now. Not that I think he needs to prove much else. He has as an impressive resume as anyone in boxing. But fighting top fighters at the age of 40? In the welterweight division?? That's pretty much unheard of. Assuming Pac gets by Thurman and signs to fight Khan.... what then? Will Father Time come crashing down making up for lost time? Interesting to see how the twilight of Manny's career pans out.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Think that'd be terrible if Manny beats Thurman then goes with Khan. I'd actually have to tune out on that one. Didn't Thurman bet 10k on getting the 1-2 round KO himself? Perfect scenario to run into something bad for a guy who has hardly looked like a "One Time" ko phenomenon. I just really cannot see Thurman matching confidence-composure..real learned confidence..with Manny. This card though, have to say for a ppv it's pretty strong for good potential scraps.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Worst case scenario is Manny beats Thurman... then goes for Khan just when Father Time lowers the boom. Khan beats a 41-year old faded star and then crows "See?? Told y'all Floyd was always too scared to fight me!"

That would give Khan ammunition for another decade or so of whining.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Worst case scenario is Manny beats Thurman... then goes for Khan just when Father Time lowers the boom. Khan beats a 41-year old faded star and then crows "See?? Told y'all Floyd was always too scared to fight me!"

That would give Khan ammunition for another decade or so of whining.
    Khan is so delusional that he would actually believe it.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who else had to look up ornery?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Filipino champ opens up about boxing on the wrong side of 40

As Manny Pacquiao munches on a piece of dried squid, a man behind him cuts the top off a banana and holds it at the ready. His fingers grasp the banana at the bottom and it stands erect in his hand. He’s two steps behind and a step to the left of the WBA welterweight champion, on alert to have the banana as close as possible should the champ want a bite.

Pacquiao turns his head slightly to his left and the man with the banana quickly steps forward to offer it. Alas, Pacquiao just turned to speak to someone eating with him and shows no interest at the moment in the banana.

There is activity throughout the house as the boxing legend sits at the head of his table in the dining room of his home eating breakfast following a grueling workout at nearby Griffith Park. All the seats at the table are filled, though most eat silently without saying much.

Others scurry back and forth, completing one job or another. There are some who are just there, part of the entourage, with no discernible purpose

There are maybe 25, 30 people in the home, though Pacquiao’s publicist said it’s an unusually low number. “Usually, it’s a lot closer to 100, maybe even a few more than that,” he said.

He’d hit the road a little after 6 a.m. on a crisp, cool morning to do his three times a week workout. He’s had the same routine for years, so fans have learned when to expect him, and before he’s too far into the run, the crowd with him swells appreciably.

It’s Pacquiao, members of his camp and just ordinary people, fans, who want to rub shoulders with the most famous boxer in the world.

Pacquiao is preparing to fight Keith Thurman in a Fox Sports pay-per-view show on July 20 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, a battle of WBA welterweight champions.

His peak was about a decade ago, around the time he was battering Oscar De La Hoya, Ricky Hatton and Miguel Cotto senseless. He was blazingly fast and in remarkably good shape, able to keep an astoundingly fast pace for all 36 minutes of a fight, if required.

Now, at the wrong side of 40, he’s not much different. The only concession to his age is that he listens to his body and will take a day off if he needs it. He canceled his workouts on Wednesday when he called conditioning coach Justin Fortune, a former heavyweight contender who once fought Lennox Lewis, and said he didn’t feel right.

“He’s a lucky SOB,” Fortune said, laughing. “He has a ridiculous metabolism. It’s freakish his body’s ability to recover.”

Fortune often has to counsel fighters on what to eat and what to avoid, and plead with them to heed his instructions, but never Pacquiao. The champ has been gifted genetically, and is still as fast, quick and explosive as he’s ever been, Fortune insists, but he’s extraordinarily dedicated.

He eats a clean diet nearly all the time. He works so hard, Fortune said, that he eats an astonishing amount of calories in a day in order to keep his weight up. The limit for the fight with Thurman is 147 pounds, and more than three weeks out, Fortune said Pacquiao’s around 149 ½ or, at most, 150.

“His diet’s never been a concern,” Fortune said. “He eats good food, clean food at almost every meal. Every once in a while — every great once in a while — he’ll have something that is not so great, but that’s so rare. And he works so hard it’s not even a blip on the radar.”

He eats the same food pretty much every day, mostly Filipino dishes with a lot of white rice. In addition to the dried squid and the banana, which is eventually cut into pieces and plopped onto his plate, he eats steak and chicken kebabs, chicken tinola broth and beef nilaga broth.

As he eats, Pacquiao is made aware of a minor controversy brewing on the internet. A news report suggests he’s not being drug tested. Sean Gibbons, the president of Pacquiao’s MP Promotions, angrily suggests he is.

A reporter asks Pacquiao if he is being tested regularly and he replies that he has been. He said he’s willing to be tested at any time, and Gibbons interjects to note that Pacquiao is a part of the WBC’s Clean Boxer Program, which means he’s eligible to be tested randomly 24/7/365. The WBC’s program is administered by VADA, which through brilliant marketing has managed to make itself appear to be the gold standard and only acceptable company for anti-doping testing to many in the boxing community.

Pacquiao says he’s been randomly tested by the Nevada Athletic Commission. But then he squints and has something to say.

I never have taken PEDs, Pacquiao said, because I work so hard.

“All my life, I get out there and I work as hard as I can,” he said. “That’s so important.”

It’s led him to become one of the most recognizable figures on Earth. He remains remarkably unchanged by his success, though he has little privacy in his life.

He’s asked if he ever got tired of having so many people around him all the time, if he ever desired to be alone.

“Sometimes,” he said, shaking his head. “I do. Sometimes.”

Then he breaks into this wide, mischievous grin that anyone who is around him enough sees frequently.

“I should get a yacht,” he said, “and go onto the yacht. And not stay [in dock]; go out to sea. Then, they couldn’t get to me.”

He laughs at his jokes and spoons another helping of rice onto his plate. He’ll eat 7,000 or more calories a day because he burns so much.

His trainer, Freddie Roach, said he still hasn’t found his groove in training camp. But Pacquiao has a motivation to fight Thurman that he hasn’t always had.

He usually doesn’t dislike his opponents and often goes easy on them, so as not to hurt them. But he clearly doesn’t like Thurman, who is as likable and fascinating a figure as there is in boxing. In a bid to sell the fight, Thurman has talked trash and vowed to “crucify” the deeply religious Pacquiao.

“I love it that he’s talking,” Roach said. “The punches are a little harder. The combinations are a little faster. Everything Thurman is saying, it’s motivation for Manny. He doesn’t like this guy, and I usually can’t say that. But if I had my way, Thurman would keep talking. The only thing I’d change is, I’d ask him to talk even more.”

“I don’t know if he is trying to upset Manny and throw him off of his game,” Fortune said, “but the reality is, he’s made Manny put his head down and get to work. He’s made him more determined to hit this guy. He said, ‘I really want to make this guy pay.’ This kind of motivation is great for me and Fred, but it’s a dangerous thing for Thurman. Manny can and will hurt him.”

Pacquiao’s not so much into trash talking. He loves to fight and he loves to compete, and it’s all he’s known for the majority of his life.

And though he’s bombarded with questions about his age and when he may retire, he’s still having the time of his life and retirement hasn’t crossed his mind.

“It doesn’t make sense to retire just because of a number,” he said. “If I can’t do it any more, that’s one thing. But I can still do it at a [high level] and I still enjoy it. I don’t want to say I’ll retire at this time or after this many fights. We’ll see. But I still love this.”

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/bre...200126685.html

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really don't want to get into a pissing contest with you, but you seem bent on creating one..... so ok.

Ok first of all, this is the boxing board if you hadn't noticed. Try to keep it as such if you don't mind. Nobody here knows WTF you're on about, so I suggest you stow it or take it to the other boards.

Nit-picky as well as ornery. You must be a blast at parties. Hey, if you want to split hairs and say they weren't 1-2, fine. I'll have a trophy engraved for you. Happy? The general point was you wanted top fighters fighting each other and those are prime examples. If that doesn't make you happy, then cool.

Other than the normal verbal sewage you normally spew, I'll give you a news flash Einstein. I'm not disagreeing with you on the "Boxing is not getting better" part. All I did was give boxing a little credit on stuff like the WBSS tournaments, which I tentatively bring up because I realize that causes your ulcer to flare up. So you're basically fighting alone, which isn't surprising because you'd probably try to punch out your own shadow if you could.

"30 years ago boxing was king and the UFC was human cockfighting"? No shit, Sherlock. Anybody here who's not a teenager knows that to be true. Personally I've never been an MMA fan (whatever name is cool with me, I still don't care much for it), but then again...... anyone here with more than two brain cells knows that UFC has gained ground whereas boxing has lost it. Know what, Angry One? The rest of the post is nothing I disagree with either. Boxing (promoters) DOES try and tell people what they want. We HAVE had 5 year waits and more (Floyd vs Pac being the poster child of that one).

So back to my main point, so you can go back to fighting with yourself. There ARE fights between top fighters on occasion. They tend to happen more at the lower weights where people (casuals) don't focus so much attention on. Are they always 1-2? (This being your fixation at the moment). No, sport. Sometimes they're 1-3. Oh NO!!!!! The shame! Someone as intelligent as you must know that rankings are subjective anyway, so who the f*ck cares whether the opponent is #2 or #3. All we want are the top fights, like you yourself say when you're not barking incomprehensibly.

Listen, go back to fighting with Primo about whether Joshua is ducking Wilder or not. That should keep you busy for several dozen pages.
    Pointing out when you say things that aren’t true doesn’t make me nit picky and ornery, it makes me honest and accurate

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

pac will get shafted if it goes to the judges
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pointing out when you say things that aren’t true doesn’t make me nit picky and ornery, it makes me honest and accurate

I always keep my promises.

Thread Information