Thread: Gervonta davis to defend wba title against ricardo nunez on july 27

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Gervonta davis to defend wba title against ricardo nunez on july 27

I thought that Corrales deserved the nod over Miller. I felt that Miller just wasn’t doing enough. Corrales pushed the action most of the fight. And that point deduction was ridiculous. It was nearing the end of the last round with no prior warning. And HE got thrown down.

I thought the ref stopped the Davis fight early. I thought that the ref was going to give him a standing eight count. That’s what should have happened. He was hurt but he was not out. The ref was running in as Nunez leaned over when he looked like he was falling down. You have to give the fighter a chance. Not that Davis wasn’t going to win anyways but you still have to give Nunez a chance

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Was it fought under rules allowing a standing 8 count? Because if not the ref cannot do one

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Was it fought under rules allowing a standing 8 count? Because if not the ref cannot do one
    Not sure. Either way the ref was still a little fast in stopping it.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Pretty sure the unified rules don’t allow so I just assume they can’t unless I know differently. I think the kids head snapping around so violently convinced the ref more was happening than really was, and perhaps Davis’s devastating power had something to do with it. Better to be too early than too late sort of thing. Hard to say, but it all could be fixed if standing 8s were allowed more and used more. But then you run into the concern of Refs potentially using standing 8s to rig fights. Using it when unwarranted, suddenly a lost round is a 2 point won round, that’s a big swing

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Pretty sure the unified rules don’t allow so I just assume they can’t unless I know differently. I think the kids head snapping around so violently convinced the ref more was happening than really was, and perhaps Davis’s devastating power had something to do with it. Better to be too early than too late sort of thing. Hard to say, but it all could be fixed if standing 8s were allowed more and used more. But then you run into the concern of Refs potentially using standing 8s to rig fights. Using it when unwarranted, suddenly a lost round is a 2 point won round, that’s a big swing
    Thats one where I've been on both sides regarding the S. 8 count. They did away with in the late 90's I believe but it would appear to be another reasonable tool for the referee. I mean honestly some refs already rule arbitrarily at times and already have little repercussions for a completely blown or iffy call and seemingly only answer to the tv interviewer. On one hand a ref could assess a fighters shape after being staggered bad, have them step forward etc and then decide but on the other it also allows the damage to 'reset' and a hurt fighter to recover to only take more. I do think anytime a fighter is held up by the ropes or near falling through it should be an automatic knockdown, the ol Holyfield v Cooper scenario maybe.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nunez wasn't doing too badly before the stoppage. As much as I would like to say it was quick, Nunez kind of earned it. He seemed to be holding his own (even though I think eventually his inability to hurt Davis would be a big factor) and then committed a cardinal sin... He took his eyes off his opponent to smugly shrug off Davis's power to the crowd or his corner and then got turned into a bobblehead with his eyes closed. He wasn't the same after that punch because he never saw it. Every big shot after that rag dolled him.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Thread Information