Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Deontay Wilder vs Luis Ortiz 2

Deontay Wilder next fight: WBC champion ‘signs’ for rematch vs Luis Ortiz to delay unification bout against Anthony Joshua

The American tweeted to say he had signed for a rematch against the man he beat in March 2018 and boxing fans think he is simply ducking AJ

Anthony Joshua wants to fight Deontay Wilder, but the American has other plans.

The current WBC champion announced he has ‘signed’ a contract to fight Luis Ortiz adding on Twitter ‘all my controversial fights must get dealt with ASAP.’

Wilder beat Ortiz in their first fight in New York last year, knocking the Cuban out in the 10th round to inflict his only professional defeat.

His previous fight was a first round knockout of Dominic Breazeale to record the ninth-straight defence of his WBC title.

Joshua, who fights Andy Ruiz Jr at Madison Square Garden on 1 June, recently spoke about wanting face-to-face talks with Wilder to finally arrange a meeting in the ring.

The WBA, IBF and WBO heavyweight champion, clearly frustrated with the failed attempts from promoters and broadcasters to engineer the clash, said: “I think they should sit us down face-to-face and talk about what the issues are man to man and get this fight sorted this year.”

Former heavyweight boxer David Haye believes AJ is the best of the bunch right now due to his unblemished record.

“Anthony Joshua’s never had a draw,” he told talkSPORT.

“If you look at Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder, they had a fight, I was strangely happy with a draw because it’s hard to go into an opponent’s back yard and take the title off the champion after being knocked down so heavily, twice.”

At the start of May, Joshua’s promoter, Eddie Hearn revealed Ortiz had been offered $7m to fight the Brit in New York when he was looking for a replacement for Jarrell Miller, who was kicked off the card for failing a drug test.

Initially, the Cuban’s camp accused Hearn of making ‘lowball’ offers in negotiations, though they soon retracted this statement when he threatened to ‘expose’ them.

“I got two phone calls when the [Miller] news broke straight away. One was Jay Jimenez who is Luis Ortiz’s manager,” Hearn revealed.

“Jay Jimenez phoned me up and said, ‘I can’t believe this, I don’t think Luis will be ready.’

“I said, ‘Find out if Luis will be ready.’

“He came back the next day or two days later and said, ‘Make us an offer.’

“I made them an offer $6million – that was my first offer…

“No reply, this was on Friday. Monday I said, ‘I’ll call you.’

“Later on that day I came back and said, ‘Right, this is it, $7million for June 1. [If he wins, he gets] a rematch for quite a bit more and if he loses, I’ll give you another fight for a lot of money for security.’

“Nothing back.”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/5...nthony-joshua/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Deontay Wilder vs Luis Ortiz 2

WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder says he has agreed a rematch with Cuba’s Luis Ortiz.

American Wilder beat Ortiz with a 10th-round knockout in March 2018.

“To all my fans, I want to announce that Luis Ortiz and I have signed for a rematch, with the date and site to be announced shortly. All my controversial fights Must get dealt with ASAP!!” the 33-year-old posted on Twitter.

Wilder has won 41 of his 42 fights, the other being a controversial draw with Britain’s Tyson Fury in December.

He knocked out Dominic Breazeale in the first round earlier this month to retain his world title.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/her...051223574.html

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don't know and don't care whose fault it is that the fights between the big 3 aren't happening, because in reality it's a bit of everybody's fault. So in the meantime we just have to fights like this.
    in Itself , obviously it's not a bad scrap, but there's really no point in it. But hey , when did Boxing ever give a fuck about that.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like the rematch, let's hope Ortiz wobbles him early enough in a round to finish him off unlike last time when Wilder was gifted 40 seconds extra recovery time for no apparent reason 😉

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It’s a great fight. You really have to respect who Wilder has been fighting lately. Hell, anyone that isn’t a Joshua fanboy wanted him to be fighting Ortiz in June because he is the 4th best HW.

But at the same time, I don’t care. If it’s not some combo of the big 3 I don’t care. There are 3 more fights at least that need to happen between them. With the rate people fight today that’s 2 years, add a couple other fights in between and it’s 4 years. That’s more than enough time for a new big name to come along.

Strange in that I really would have respected Joshua if he had fought Ortiz but it doesn’t move the needle for me for Wilder, a fighter I think far less of. Says a lot.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Odd choice for Wilder. Ortiz gave him a tough fight last time out. He must be very confident that he will win because it would be very bad for him to pick up a loss

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Odd choice for Wilder. Ortiz gave him a tough fight last time out. He must be very confident that he will win because it would be very bad for him to pick up a loss
    This could be another Stiverne where he smashes him in round 1.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    This could be another Stiverne where he smashes him in round 1.
    If true, that really boosts Wilder

El Kabong Guest

Each fight that AJ, Fury, and Wilder have that aren't against each other is a fight wasted simple as that. Not a whole bunch more to be said about it.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One thing I meant to say earlier on, this was a done deal by Wilder’s TV People. If you watch in the ring after the Brezeale fight, they got Ortiz in there and tried to talk up a rematch . I’m not into defending Wilder too much , but to be fair, he more or less ignored it and walked out of the ring and left Ortiz there, all in all making it a bit of a damp squib.
    I don’t reckon Wilder was on board with it and pretty disinterested, so I won’t use the fact the he’s fighting Ortiz to say he’s ducking anyone, because I don’t reckon he’s that excited by this fight.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You can't spark a match twice and feels a bit what Wilders aiming for. Ortiz looked pretty ordinary last out trying to keep light on his feet and jabbing and managed to let Hammer back into the fight. Would have loved Whyte v Wilder, least it leads to crossover appeal with UK-AJ and facing an improved fighter.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why and who cares.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    One thing I meant to say earlier on, this was a done deal by Wilder’s TV People. If you watch in the ring after the Brezeale fight, they got Ortiz in there and tried to talk up a rematch . I’m not into defending Wilder too much , but to be fair, he more or less ignored it and walked out of the ring and left Ortiz there, all in all making it a bit of a damp squib.
    I don’t reckon Wilder was on board with it and pretty disinterested, so I won’t use the fact the he’s fighting Ortiz to say he’s ducking anyone, because I don’t reckon he’s that excited by this fight.

The Showtime TV guy, Jim Gray, mugged Wilder off in the interview saying - "nobody wants to see you fight Ortiz again," whilst Ortiz was in the ring.

Nothing to do with the TV company wanting it, quite the opposite, Wilder chose Ortiz, he walked out thanks to Jim Gray not letting them sell shit nobody wants (barring Wilder groupies).
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

The Showtime TV guy, Jim Gray, mugged Wilder off in the interview saying - "nobody wants to see you fight Ortiz again," whilst Ortiz was in the ring.

Nothing to do with the TV company wanting it, quite the opposite, Wilder chose Ortiz, he walked out thanks to Jim Gray not letting them sell shit nobody wants (barring Wilder groupies).
    I might be wrong, but I thought he said "nobody wants to see you fight Brezeale" and that's why Brezeale walked off? he may have mentioned Ortiz as well, but that would be strange as they even made a half baked effort at interviewing him in the ring. I might be wrong, i'll have to try to find it on you tube.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

I might be wrong, but I thought he said "nobody wants to see you fight Brezeale" and that's why Brezeale walked off? he may have mentioned Ortiz as well, but that would be strange as they even made a half baked effort at interviewing him in the ring. I might be wrong, i'll have to try to find it on you tube.
    Just found it he said people don't want to see Brezeale, Ruiz or the guy that Fury is fighting, he didn't name Ortiz but he was definitely getting at the fact that people only wanna see Wilder, AJ & Fury fighting and no one else

Thread Information