Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Will These Fighters Turn The Clock Back Or Will They Get Their Clock's Cleaned?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Will These Fighters Turn The Clock Back Or Will They Get Their Clock's Cleaned?

Lived long enough to finally see my era call it quits after loss upon loss. Fighting since the early 1990s.....James Toney, Evander Holyfield, Roy Jones Jr, Bernard Hopkins, Shannon Briggs and recently Zab Judah to name a few.

NOW IT'S TIME FOR THE BOXERS WHO BEGAN THEIR CAREERS AROUND 2000 TO CALL IT QUITS.
    BUT THEY WON'T.

Chris Arreola turned pro 2003. His Prime IMO was around 2008 when he beat up in coming M Tann, Chazz Witherspoon, Travis Walker & Jamee McCline. Held a minor title (NABF) back in 2009. 1st title shot loss to Klitschko followed by another loss to Adamak in 2010. Not past his prime, but exposed as a fighter who couldn't control his weight and his SEE food diet. He saw food. He ate it all. I think his demise started around 2014.
    Set to face Adam Kownacki 19-0

Does he turn the clock back or get his clock cleaned?

Andre Berto turned pro 2004. His prime IMO was around 2008 when he wona major title defeated the likes of Luis Collazo, Juan Urangy, Carlos Quintana. 2010 his demise began Ortiz, Guererro, Karass, 2015-2018 pretty decent names where he split wins/losses to PBF & Porter, beating victor Ortiz and Devon Alexander.
    Set to face Migel Cruz 18-1

Jean Pascal turned pro 2005. His prime IMO was around 2008, winning titles at SMW. Froch gave him a setback, but he bounced back defeating Adrian Diacanu, Chad Dawson, Lucian Bute and 2 fights with Bernard Hopkins in two highly competitive fights. By 2015 with mounting injuries and meeting Kovalev, his best days were no behind him
    Set to face Marcus Browne 23-0

Chad Dawson turned pro in 2001. His prime IMO was around 2006 defeating Harding, a showcase of skills on display when he beat Adamak for the title. Took out the old guards of Glen Johnson & Tarver. By the time he fought Pascal for a minor setback, he bounced back with wins over Adrian Diacanu & 2 fights with Hopkins. By 2012 he was exposed as being chinny, add on a bad decision to drop down for Ward, followed up with Stevenon 1 TKO & 1 KO loss, his prime was now past him. After a 2 year hiatus he is set to face Quinton Rankin 15-5-2

Last edited by SlimTrae; 06-19-2019 at 08:33 PM.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Will These Fighters Turn The Clock Back Or Will They Get Their Clock's Cleaned?

Chris Arreola is the only one in the list that I can see make some money but only because it is at heavyweight where the competition is weak and the money good.

Andre Berto is a gatekeeper and should lose to Migel Cruz.

I like Jean Pascal after his war with Froch but again should lose to the unbeaten fighter.

Is Tarver still fighting?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Will These Fighters Turn The Clock Back Or Will They Get Their Clock's Cleaned?

Seems Tarver gave up after 2 failed drug tests.

Per this link he did throw a punch at his girlfriend's son because he couldn't anty up on some waffles.
    https://www.tampabay.com/news/public...bill_170923549

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It’s weird that you started off by referencing fighters like jones, Hopkins, and Toney then you use fighters now who aren’t anywhere near that caliber.

Arreola was never good. He is still big and strong so there is a chance he lands a big shot but I doubt he does anything significant.

Berto hasn’t been good for a long time and was never great to begin with. He had great speed and now that he is old, his biggest weapon is gone.

Pascal is just washed up. He has gotten hit way too many times.

Dawson is so far beyond his prime. I don’t know who the guy he is fighting is but if he is any sort of top fighter, he should KO Dawson

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In one way the worst thing that can happen is that they somehow succeed in turning back the clock and are fed right back into the wood chipper that is the elite level as safe 'opponent'. For Arreola he's a bit like the run away train on the tracks. You know it's not going to end well and things are in danger but you just cannot refuse to watch. I thought he lost to both Kassai and Harper before Wilder and he knows this is the last stop with Kownacki. Style wise it will suit Arreola and he won't have to go hunting Kownacki. Martin held his own with Kownacki late and as nuts as it sounds..if one of the 3 fights listed possibly ends in an 'upset' I think this could be the one. Still like Kownacki to win though, but if it's easy peazy with no facial damage I'll be shocked.

Berto man where does one start. Honestly I raked Berto over the coals early on and have always seen him as an unfinished rushed product. The man was full of flaws and in a away was a pre Broner type. Talent obvious but the pieces never meshed. The difference also being Berto is a class guy and a friggin warrior regardless of gaps in his game. He's clearly on the recycling center conveyor belt and even at 35 and so inactive I give him a big chance with Cruz. Cruz hasn't done much since being schooled by Josesito Lopez and was found often with 2's and 3's. His best bet would be a grinding physical approach to Berto but not sure he's strong enough, low blows aside, or has the mental make up to cope with hand speed trying to get inside that even at this point has to favor Berto. Now watch him go and 1 brick poor ol Andre

What is it about an old soul nearing the end that we start to root for them. I did that with Pascal when he hung in with Alvarez and then took the undefeated over hyped Albiali out to the wood shed and battered him. But it's all very predictable, very fast and entertaining bombs first few rounds and then the legs go drunken giraffe stiff and stop working in unison. Not terribly impressed with at times dirty Marcus Browne but he should have enough to keep it smart and stronger down the stretch. And he still lost to Hot Rod

Have to add one. Antonio DeMarco v Jamal James in July. Whoever made that fight is a sadist, can't see anything other than a brutal brutal win for 6'2 James.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    It’s weird that you started off by referencing fighters like jones, Hopkins, and Toney then you use fighters now who aren’t anywhere near that caliber.

Arreola was never good. He is still big and strong so there is a chance he lands a big shot but I doubt he does anything significant.

Berto hasn’t been good for a long time and was never great to begin with. He had great speed and now that he is old, his biggest weapon is gone.

Pascal is just washed up. He has gotten hit way too many times.

Dawson is so far beyond his prime. I don’t know who the guy he is fighting is but if he is any sort of top fighter, he should KO Dawson
    My bad for the confusion.
    1st sentence was meant as closure for my era of fighters who began their careers when I was young. Finally they have let it be after losing time and time again.

I was inspired to make this thread while looking at upcoming fights and noticing so many fighters who are past, still lining up for another shot.
    No way was I intending to identify 'great' fighters looking to turn the clock back, rather fighters who have long lost their youth, their rankings, yet still trying to fight on.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I suspect these guys are all done, cant see any of them actually regaining top form. Arreola and Pascal I cant see winning their fights, and dont know anything of Berto or Dawsons opponents. If they do log a decent performance they could still get a shot at a belt based on their name of course.

El Kabong Guest

Arreola vs Kownacki should be fun while it lasts. Kownacki looks like a very limited but persistent pressure fighter who has power in both hands...kind of similar to what Arreola once was actually. I think given the mileage Arreola has on him will sink him UNLESS (in my best Teddy Atlas voice) he's the smarter fighter. Arreola is older he's got to fight smarter, he was once like Kownacki is right now so how would older Arreola beat a young version of himself with the tools he has now? I don't think he can but that's his best option.

Berto vs Cruz is probably the closest on here. I have no idea about Cruz but his last few fights haven't been the best. Berto is coming from a year long layoff so maybe he'll be fresh. Miguel Cruz lost to Josesito Lopez just last year a guy Berto TKO'd in 2015...Berto's last fight was a SD win over Devon Alexander which ain't a terrible result although Alexander had been on the slide. I think berto could pick up a W here.

Pacsal vs Browne.....like a sheep to the slaughter.

Dawson vs Rankin....well I'm thinking this is a warm up for Bad Chad dipping a toe back in the light heavy division to try and set up a fight vs a contender or maybe a big payday vs someone, anyone.

So Berto could possibly win and look good, but after that there's not much hope for him. Dawson should win if he's got anything at all left but after that not much hope for him. Pascal will get hammered, and Arreola will get into a brawl because he loves those as much as a buffet and he'll be in for an all he can eat smorgasbord of rights and lefts until he's stopped.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A good turn back the clock fight Is Nate Cambell vs Juan Diaz.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don’t forget about Enzo Mac...

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Don’t forget about Enzo Mac...
    Jesus for a second I thought he was lacing the gloves up again....scary thought

Thread Information