Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Reparations... for or against?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Reparations for slavery...... yay or nay?

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Reparations...... yay or nay?

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    I think Germany have given out reparations for the horror committed after the Second World War.
    Uh, nope. Germany was demanded to pay massive reparations after the first world war, which had a lot to do with causing the second. Its so obvious why this is always a bad idea.
    No, they gave reparation to the Jewish community. If they can do it, then anyone can.
    Anyone can? Poor way to begin this argument. You are wrong by A degree that makes this too hard to argue.
    Where there is a will, there is a way.
    So you're wanting a rematch of the War between The States? You think that'll be positive? Because it seems like that's what you're wanting.

If reparations ever occur (and they won't on account of it's Democrat pandering because they're deathly afraid of being abandoned by a certain demographic) I'll be paying EXACTLY $0.00

.....it's a hill on which I will die

I would rather burn my money, my home, and all possessions and salt the Earth on which I have planted so that nothing ever grows on it again than have it pay for sins I never committed.

Understand the gravity of that @Master?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Reparations for slavery...... yay or nay?

No need for a rematch.

Reparation has been done before, it could be done for this situation. I do not know the specific details how it happens because I have no real interest but if the will is there then I am sure it can be worked out.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

El Kabong Guest

No need for a rematch.

Reparation has been done before, it could be done for this situation. I do not know the specific details how it happens because I have no real interest but if the will is there then I am sure it can be worked out.
    Well you don't comprehend the politics of the situation very well then. I can tell you that much.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You're completely correct Kabong, but Master wasnt unreasonable either. The whole exchange just goes to show why this idea is so unreasonable. It can never work. Never has or will, its not a good concept.

El Kabong Guest

You're completely correct Kabong, but Master wasnt unreasonable either. The whole exchange just goes to show why this idea is so unreasonable. It can never work. Never has or will, its not a good concept.
    The unreasonable part is it's been 154 years since slavery has ended and this is being brought up now, WHY? I know we're all being told racism is worse than ever and our President is somehow this huge racist, but that doesn't play to the facts of what the President has accomplished for the Black community....the truth of the matter is that for the first time in a long time Black voters are seeing their political power not as a monolith, but as a dynamic group that demands and deserves results and the Democrats can't have that.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    The unreasonable part is it's been 154 years since slavery has ended and this is being brought up now, WHY? I know we're all being told racism is worse than ever and our President is somehow this huge racist, but that doesn't play to the facts of what the President has accomplished for the Black community....the truth of the matter is that for the first time in a long time Black voters are seeing their political power not as a monolith, but as a dynamic group that demands and deserves results and the Democrats can't have that.
    Didnt you just answer the question though? Im actually asking because i dont know and it hurts my eyes to read much because im shitfaced.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think you all should pay reparations ........ to me.

That is because I am great, and you all are crazy fools who should shut yo jibber jabber.

That is all.

If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So the general gist is "slave reparations" is a piss take.

How about these reparations - The government has quietly ruled out compensating black African veterans of the second world war who were paid a third as much as their white counterparts. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-get-uk-payout

Many people are obviously outraged, claiming it's yet another example of the evil racist UK, we should take down the statues, do away with the war memorials, whilst others say enough of this "race baiting," how far do we go back searching for wrongdoings.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If I may weigh in on that..... (may I?)

I would side with the veterans on this one. It's a more measurable issue. It's fairly recent in comparison to slavery. It was a clear injustice with dollars and cents (or pounds) attached.

The fact that the government says it's too much trouble to go back and do the necessary investigations does not hold water. Frankly it's B.S.

At least that's MY opinion. It's what divides opinion between people. But in this case it was a clear wrong that should be righted.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    If I may weigh in on that..... (may I?)

I would side with the veterans on this one. It's a more measurable issue. It's fairly recent in comparison to slavery. It was a clear injustice with dollars and cents (or pounds) attached.

The fact that the government says it's too much trouble to go back and do the necessary investigations does not hold water. Frankly it's B.S.

At least that's MY opinion. It's what divides opinion between people. But in this case it was a clear wrong that should be righted.
    As long as denilson doesn’t get any I’ll throw in a couple bucks

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

victimhood is a pit you'll never escape because compassionate people keep pushing you back in
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Not sure of the practicality or realistic chance of this not ending in a gigantic clusterfeck. Honestly I don't know a single adult man or woman who doesn't know this is primarily a topic geared towards politics rather than some rising wave to seek 'justice' in any way. We as a whole would do better to use such a push to educate what humanity is capable of at it's worst but I believe we're moving more towards half thought out quick fixes..reparations..and are denying that our past..toppling historical statues and monuments into dark warehouses..made us what we are, in fact made us better today. No on reparations for me, though I have to say also that 1865 is really not that long ago. We can all trace our roots over generations be it a slave who was held on a Plantation that still stands today or some chucklehead on a boxing forum whos distant relatives fought both for the Confederacy and the Union army. We don't get do overs. Learn from history, respect and own it in all of it's pros and cons, and move forward.
    1865 really isn't that long ago. I've been around now for fifty years and i can tell you people who haven't that fifty years feels about as long as the blink of an eye. And while the world seems to be constantly changing I can tell you that the beliefs and motivations of your fellow humans don't change very much over half a century so the difference between how for instance pre civil war Confederates and their progeny today feel about these kinds of issues isn't significantly different in a lot of cases. It's basicallt three blinks of an eye.

As far as the reparations issue goes, this is unfortunately more than some people read in a year but some of you will welcome the perspective. This is one of America's top black journalists who wrote the article that has kicked off the whole reparations issue. It's five years old now but has been resonating more and more over the years. I challenge you all to read it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...ations/361631/

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can you just tell us whether he wants reparations or not? Then we know whether to read it or not

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can you just tell us whether he wants reparations or not? Then we know whether to read it or not
    It's a little bit of the history of the whole issue. Doesn't matter what the guy who wrote it thinks although he testified to congress recently I'm sure I remember seeing. The history is educational though regardless of the reparations issue.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"The popular mocking of reparations as a harebrained scheme authored by wild-eyed lefties and intellectually unserious black nationalists is fear masquerading as laughter. Black nationalists have always perceived something unmentionable about America that integrationists dare not acknowledge—that white supremacy is not merely the work of hotheaded demagogues, or a matter of false consciousness, but a force so fundamental to America that it is difficult to imagine the country without it."

It is brilliantly insightful. Thanks Kirkland. People do not like difficult questions and would rather dismiss them, so I expect it would be beyond many to even contemplate the value of another perspective, let alone try and reexamine long held beliefs thru another lens. It is worth the effort, but it is an effort nonetheless, and so it is easier to just mock, roll the eyes and pretend that confronting difficult questions us in itself a vapid and stupid exercise.

Fuck that kind of entrenched privileged cowardice.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Thread Information