Having recently been called racist because I honestly think people more often than not choose their own poverty, I thought I would put the question out there as an open question. I really struggle with this question as I have been as poor as anybody on this forum. I have seen the recklessness and laziness of parents. I have been in very disadvantaged positions as a child. It was very obvious that my parents were either lazy or wasteful. I was really bad with money as a young adult too having never really been taught how to respect it, but from a relatively young age I knew the importance of saving, of working hard, of upgrading a skill set and in turn have always seemed to do okay. I am just not sure what people are spending their money on to be poor all the time. Or why they are not moving to new towns. Or learning new skills.

I mean, I earn a pretty average income, nothing special going on. I think I bought a new TV about 8 years ago. The same old couch sits across from me. I can only assume a lot of people are trying to keep up with the Jones family across from them as personal debt levels are high here. All you do really is pay the bills, buy some food, the occasional replacement clothing, some fuel, some books and you are set. I get that bad things happen too and they do to me also. But insurance is not expensive, covering your health each month is only a single night out sacrificed.

I can see how people stay poor if they are drinking regularly, buying new clothes constantly, eating out constantly, gambling in the bookies, smoking, and what have you, but a normal simple person can surely save up and with a brain find a career that tides them over. I was reading one excuse for poverty being house price inflation meaning new people cannot catch up with those that own already, but how does that work when I had nothing too? I am not a special person. You just need discipline, to stay smart, and to accept that you cannot have everything you want NOW!

I really do think it ends up being a personal choice. When I was a young adult, I chose to be poor as I would spend a lot on food, drink and travel. But then I calmed down and it became easy. I am not earning much more than a decade ago, but live more smartly.

In your opinion, why are people staying poor?