0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canelo v Kovalev at 175

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
    I thought Korobov won, other than that I think we're in agreement. I don't like all the weight hopping either unless it's against top guys everyone near the weight wants Canelo for obvious reasons but he can only fight 1 at a time if its Charlo or Andrade next I'd accept that
    To be fair to Canelo, I think there are loads of acceptable fights out there, Charlo, Andrade, Smith , Kovalev, to name but a few. I just don't think that GGG is an acceptable fight bearing in mind the options he has. What does he need to prove against GGG? I think we all know that the longer time goes on, the more comfortable (I don't want to say easier) a fight Canelo will have with GGG. he's been there, done that , whether people like that or not . GGG doesn't have a belt , so I really don't feel it's meaningful in comparison to his other options.
    but we know already which fight will get made , don't we ?
    Right on brother there are many fights with which Canelo can build a legacy of sorts against I think Canelo still needs to prove he can beat GGG clearly I thought he got beaten badly in the first and won a close one in the 2nd, it could have gone either way you're right brother that the longer in the tooth GGG gets the odds tilt further in Canelo's favor GGG deserves another crack but I'm happy for him to wait or earn his way to it

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with Primo(well both of you). Regardless of how you scored them, the difference between the first and second fight was massive, a rubber match favours Canelo tremendously, to the point where it isnt even that interesting imo. I think people sort of overlook that their first fight was a straight up screwjob, GGG won that going away. The second was indeed very hard to score, but watching it live I honestly didnt think GGG was going to finish the fight during the mid rounds, and given what he is that was very telling. He managed to rally late and nick a championship round or two to his total credit, but its as predictable as can be what happens if they fight a 3rd, at least to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    I agree with Primo(well both of you). Regardless of how you scored them, the difference between the first and second fight was massive, a rubber match favours Canelo tremendously, to the point where it isnt even that interesting imo. I think people sort of overlook that their first fight was a straight up screwjob, GGG won that going away. The second was indeed very hard to score, but watching it live I honestly didnt think GGG was going to finish the fight during the mid rounds, and given what he is that was very telling. He managed to rally late and nick a championship round or two to his total credit, but its as predictable as can be what happens if they fight a 3rd, at least to me.
    Good call my man if GGG wins a belt or earns the Canelo jackpot against a top 5 type guy I'm good but his diva shit wanting to jump directly to go I ain't playing wit even if you thought he won both Canelo fights, what have you done for me lately holmes Rolls ain't no royce

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo banging out Kovalev without a catchweight would be boss

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Postponement of Canelo Alvarez's September fight is another puzzling move

In a surprise move, Golden Boy Promotions announced on Wednesday that Canelo Alvarez would not be fighting Sept. 14 because a "decision was made in an effort to secure the right opponent and to do justice to the level of promotion required for a boxing star of his magnitude."

Said Alvarez via a press release: "As a Mexican, it's a responsibility and an honor to represent my country in both May and September. Those are my dates. However, as a world champion in multiple weight classes, I also have the responsibility of delivering the most exciting and competitive fights possible. That's why Golden Boy and my team have decided to postpone the date in order to do right by my fans by promoting the best fight possible and with the best opponent possible."

The Saturday date, which is part of Mexican Independence Day weekend, has been a staple for Alvarez; he has fought on it in eight of the last 10 years. His not stepping through the ropes on what has become known in boxing as "Canelo's day" is significant.

First, it means Alvarez and Golden Boy weren't able to entice WBO light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev to take their offer. Sporting News has learned from a source close to the situation that the offer started at $4 million and ended up getting raised to $6 million.

Kovalev and his camp wanted more money considering Daniel Jacobs earned around $12 million to face Alvarez in May. He had every right since he is a more prominent name than Jacobs, and he brings a more marquee bout due to the historical nature for Alvarez chasing a fourth world title in four different weight classes. Seeing that he wasn't likely going to get what he wanted, Kovalev shifted course and will take on Anthony Yarde on Aug. 24 in his native Russia.

Also, the move now allows Alvarez's rival Gennady Golovkin to step in and steal the date. The Athletic reports Golovkin is in conversations to square off with WBO junior middleweight champion Jaime Munguia.

The plan all along looked to be that, when both guys signed multi-year deals with DAZN, Canelo-GGG III would settle their score once and for all. However, Alvarez changed his tune. He didn't want to face Golovkin once again and give him the satisfaction of another lucrative payday. The 28-year-old felt he did enough to win both fights (Sporting News had Golovkin winning both bouts) and didn't see a trilogy fight as necessary.

Other options included WBA (super) super middleweight champion Callum Smith and WBO middleweight titleholder Demetrius Andrade. But given what Alvarez is looking for at this point, Smith and Andrade don't fit the bill.

Alvarez could have fought either Golovkin or Kovalev, and this would all be a moot point. Now it's hard to decipher what Alvarez is looking for in terms of an opponent. If it comes down to paying the opponent in the case of Kovalev, then he needs to tell Golden Boy to up the ante. Fighters know what other fighters are making. It isn't a dirty little secret. Boxers put their bodies on the line every time they enter the ring. One punch gone wrong could be the end of not only a fight, but a career and, most importantly, a livelihood. Because of that, boxers deserve to be compensated for what they feel they're worth.

The Golovkin matter is puzzling. Canelo-GGG III is one of the rare marquee attractions that doesn't need a title at stake to give it the extra pomp and circumstance. Maybe Alvarez is hurt and wants to heal before a return at the end of the year.

Based on what we know, Alvarez is displaying ignorance in refusing to face Golovkin, and his promoter doesn't want to pay Kovalev what he deserves.

What could happen — and what might be the most likely scenario — is Kovalev beats Yarde, raises his value and then takes on Alvarez later this year. But in the event Kovalev loses, that changes the complexity of the situation, and everything would be up in the air. DAZN isn't paying the Mexican star $35 million per fight for the next nine fights to take on low-quality opposition.

A press release and a statement from Alvarez wouldn't have been necessary had he not shown such disdain for Golovkin and fought him in eight weeks and still made a deal for Kovalev.

Unfortunately, as it always seems to be in boxing, the most obvious moves for the betterment of the sport are the ones not made.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/pos...185512568.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Were they low balling Kovalev because they knew they wouldn’t agree to the fight? Was it just to make it look like they were trying to put Canelo in with a monster? Offering Kovalev half of what Jacobs made is insane.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

'Canelos dates' . Sounds like a case of Kovalev and people knowing Canelo needs them more..it's the entire point of moving up..and should be likewise compensated. Hate to be a Donny-Downer but they 'hope' to have Golovkin take the date v 154 Jaime Munguia? Talk about picking up the scraps.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    'Canelos dates' . Sounds like a case of Kovalev and people knowing Canelo needs them more..it's the entire point of moving up..and should be likewise compensated. Hate to be a Donny-Downer but they 'hope' to have Golovkin take the date v 154 Jaime Munguia? Talk about picking up the scraps.
    They should have GGG vs Dennis Hogan, since he just made Jaime look a fool. Come on GGG, step up to Dennis Hogan!

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think His Majesty has reached the point in his golden career where he doesn't actually doesn't HAVE to fight anybody.

He just needs to make it SEEM like he's willing to fight them.

His fans will "OOH" and "AHH" and swallow the blue pill all day long.

A perfect blueprint for any future boxing King of the World that might be born in the same golden cradle.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kovalev might have taken an offer like that if he was ten years younger, but for a guy at the end of his career its obvious that he wouldnt.

Everyone knows this is just more of Canelo ducking the rocky fielding rematch anyways.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For clarity, the great majority of what people are reporting Jacobs was paid for the Canelo fight was not for the Canelo fight. It was his signing bonus to come to DAZN. Yes, he was paid to come to DAZN to fight Canelo but his purse was 2.5 million. A 6 million dollar purse for Kovalev is not the insult it is made out to be. It just isn’t the windfall people expect from Canelo.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Which points to the genius way offers are made by Team Canelo. Too low for the opponent to accept......... not low enough to be deemed inappropriate by some fans.

It is an underrated skill.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Which points to the genius way offers are made by Team Canelo. Too low for the opponent to accept......... not low enough to be deemed inappropriate by some fans.

Do they even make the terms? It’s not PPV, it’s subscription based. The money generated can not be immediately calculated so doesn’t that mean DAZN chooses the acceptable opponents and how much they get paid? I know DAZN is wildly over spending but are we to believe they have said “Canelo, we will give you 35 million per fight, let you choose your opponents and you can choose how much we will pay them”?

Or is it more likely DAZN says “you get your 35, we want you to fight these guys and this is how much we will pay for him, this is how much for him, this is how much for him, pick”

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post

Do they even make the terms? It’s not PPV, it’s subscription based. The money generated can not be immediately calculated so doesn’t that mean DAZN chooses the acceptable opponents and how much they get paid? I know DAZN is wildly over spending but are we to believe they have said “Canelo, we will give you 35 million per fight, let you choose your opponents and you can choose how much we will pay them”?

Or is it more likely DAZN says “you get your 35, we want you to fight these guys and this is how much we will pay for him, this is how much for him, this is how much for him, pick”
    Hopefully the latter option and would explain why they want to delay these fights to generate more interest and money. I am sure Canelo would be on a % of the ppv sales.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post

I'm not privy to the particulars of the arrangement and if someone is..... please let us all in on it.

In any galaxy including this one, 35 per fight is an overly whopping, outlandish amount by any standards. Even if it's like you put it, which I'm not disputing, it paints everyone else into a corner and makes Canelo look like the willing warrior.

A false premise, just like it was when Fishnets was calling the shots...... for the simple reason that no respectable opponent is going to play Fido begging for table scraps against Canelo, while His Majesty pockets a cool 35 million.

Thread Information