Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Canelo v Kovalev at 175

This is being talked about for autumn

https://www.worldboxingnews.net/2019...v-offer-yarde/
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canelo v Kovalev at 175

I do not know what to make of it. It is very impressive for Canelo to move up 2 weights and fight Kov who is still a force in the division but he has more enticing fights at the lower weights.

I guess this is what happens when you become a franchise champion.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just don’t see Canelo being able to win. Kovalev is just too big and hits way too hard. If Canelo beat Kovalev though, that would be huge.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    I just don’t see Canelo being able to win. Kovalev is just too big and hits way too hard. If Canelo beat Kovalev though, that would be huge.
    Even after Kov has been stopped twice?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Canelo goes up to 175 and beats Kovalev fair and square (no shady Mexican Mafia decisions)......... I'll be the first to give Canelo all the cred........ all the cre...... all the cr...... all the.......

Damn! This is tougher than I thought.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kovalev has the power but Canelo has the speed. There is a way he can win on point. by darting in and out landing cobos. tie up Kov when he gets inside. Movement and speed are on his side. the only problem is Canelo is a warrior. That's the only thing that may cost him. If he wants to stand and fight.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chasing fighters on the slide when you walk into the ring now weighing over the class limit anyway. Sorry i'm done with the smoke and mirrors crap. I give him credit for improving himself as a fighter and appreciate his skills but this is the exact kind of free floating, do whatever I want, cherry pick now/ marinate till later selfishness that has turned the sport into a circus. The sanctioning bodies in his back pocket are just scavengers at this point enabling this crap to continue and further erode the foundations of the sport. It's used as a fluff into inflate the subscription pricing plans for shoddy technology filled streams after the boxing fans got wise again. First we saw that the ppv fights being pushed were not worth the money so we stopped buying and they inflated numbers to convince us we were missing out when x amount of people saw it live for 75 bucks a pop here in the states so we'd buy the next. Then they just try to include it in the subscription and front load it with tune ups and meaningless fights and back load it with big fights that are mismatches or close decision robberies so disgruntled fans come back and pay, then hope for justice in rematches. I'm still a fan of the science but the sport has just become a scam full of hype men trying to write stories instead of fostering competition that naturally unfolds the drama surrounding victory, defeat, redemption, sacrifice and righteousness of the warrior spirit.

When I ask myself if I can trust any of those things in the way these matches are made and fights unfold. The answer is "very little". Was it a great win or was it a case of someone being under prepared, over hyped, skipping a rehydration weigh in, someone not having fought in a year and a half, someone coming up 2 weight classes for big money, juicing, looking to cash out? Cutting corners and convincing us were getting a quality product is something all companies used to do after they made their first million, and many sports fell victim to juicing etc. There was always a purity to the concept of 2 warriors deciding their fate against one another and while it didn't always turn out that way (biting, loaded wraps, tainted meat etc), but even if we couldn't believe the outcomes, we didn't feel bent over on the set ups as much.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Canelo stands and fights I'm afraid his Franchise will go the way of Blockbuster.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am definitely not a fan of Canelo or his promoter and these products of the press(Golden Boys) get away with murder in negotiating catchweights and Floyd did the same thing and I am not a member of their fan clubs. Canelo always drags it out and fights someone who is slipping in age and ability. There are definitely other fighters toady in title positions that will rearrange his face. Cherry picking is the name of the game and if Kov can be inspired then Canelo's position becomes expired because until now if anyone has noticed he 's been the bigger boy in some cases. Floyd had too much talent for Canelo but Kov if he goes in throwing straight punches will blow out Canelo's candle.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have no problem at all with the fight, unless its at 170 or something silly which would make Kovalevs entire preparation about desperately cutting weight, and of course this isnt an unlikely scenario. If Canelo takes him on at 175? Why the hell not, lets see it. For all the talk of these guys Canelo should be fighting at 160, none of them are fighting each other or looking the part. Half the people who knock this will also say they have no interest in a 3rd GGG fight, so.... what, then.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Personally I'd hate to see Kovalev go that way rather than the tempting and much needed unification showdowns v a Bivol, Beterbiev or Gvozdyk. In any order these are solid fights. Especially after Kovalev has done a pretty fine job at fighting his way back into relevance and remains a solid complete fighter imo. The division feels like a full party underway and Canelo would be the little rich kid waltzing in complaining that the music is too loud. But it is Canelo and his golden purse strings in tow so I won't knock Kovalev jumping at the lottery as well as knowing he stands a respectable chance in his own mind. Really when it comes to well rounded boxers with top notch sticks I'd have to put him up there with in top 4'ish best Canelo has faced. And he punches like a mule. Not thrilled if it happens..frankly plenty of business for Canelo at 160 or 168..you wanna go up, go get some Benavidez, and plenty of business at 175 for Kovalev. This would just be a trinket grab for sake of "history" over a guy many consider on the slide.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Personally I'd hate to see Kovalev go that way rather than the tempting and much needed unification showdowns v a Bivol, Beterbiev or Gvozdyk. In any order these are solid fights. Especially after Kovalev has done a pretty fine job at fighting his way back into relevance and remains a solid complete fighter imo. The division feels like a full party underway and Canelo would be the little rich kid waltzing in complaining that the music is too loud. But it is Canelo and his golden purse strings in tow so I won't knock Kovalev jumping at the lottery as well as knowing he stands a respectable chance in his own mind. Really when it comes to well rounded boxers with top notch sticks I'd have to put him up there with in top 4'ish best Canelo has faced. And he punches like a mule. Not thrilled if it happens..frankly plenty of business for Canelo at 160 or 168..you wanna go up, go get some Benavidez, and plenty of business at 175 for Kovalev. This would just be a trinket grab for sake of "history" over a guy many consider on the slide.
    I think that’s a good way of putting it. Not that it’s a bad fight but both have a ton of people at their own weight class to take care of. I guess it’s kind of like the Spence vs Garcia match. Both great fighters but fighting each other wasn’t the best decision.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Even after Kov has been stopped twice?
    Yes. Canelo is no Ward and he got careless against Alvarez in their first fight. He wouldn’t do that against Canelo. He would box and stay out of range.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Canelo will cherry pick Munguia, if he doesn’t GGG probably will since Munguia is so ripe for the taking.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    I think Canelo will cherry pick Munguia, if he doesn’t GGG probably will since Munguia is so ripe for the taking.
    You think that Munguia has proved himself enough of a fraud to cash out already?

Thread Information