Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: IBF might force Canelo or Golovkin to fight a mandatory against Derevyanchnko

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default IBF might force Canelo or Golovkin to fight a mandatory against Derevyanchnko

Gennadiy Golovkin might meet Sergiy Derevyanchenko in an IBF-mandated middleweight title fight after all.

Thirteen months after the IBF stripped Golovkin of its 160-pound championship, Golovkin soon could find himself in position to fight for it again. And it might not require Canelo Alvarez to agree to face him a third time September 14.
    Multiple sources have informed BoxingScene.com that the IBF could strip Alvarez of the 160-pound championship he won from Daniel Jacobs on May 4 if he doesn’t agree to make a mandatory defense versus Derevyanchnko next. The IBF sent Alvarez’s representatives a letter six weeks ago that instructed them to initiate negotiations with Derevyanchenko’s team to make that fight....

rest of story here ...https://www.boxingscene.com/ibf-stri...-title--140667
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: IBF might force Canelo or Golovkin to fight a mandatory against Derevyanchnko

This doesn’t make a lot of sense, a win against Culkay gets him another crack? In less than a year? Why so quick? I could see them mandating Canelo has until October (since that’s when Jacobs won it) but next, doesn’t seem right. Where as they were definitely right to strip GGG. He was overdue a mandatory, he won that belt in 2015 FFS, they granted him an exemption for an Alvarez fight and when that fell through he should have fought his long overdue mandatory. Choosing to fight Martirosian after years out of the ring and moving up a weight class(GGG gonna GGG) should get you stripped.

But this, Jacobs beat Derevyanchenko in October. So Alvarez should have until October. Then again Canelo doesn’t seem interested in any of the fights that actually should be made at 160 so if he doesn’t fight a Derevyanchenko, Andrade, Charlo type, F it, strip him.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: IBF might force Canelo or Golovkin to fight a mandatory against Derevyanchnko

I say again and again, this is why I don’t pay attention to belts. Having ONE belt per weight class makes sense. When you have 10 belts per weight class then these kinds of ridiculous things happen. Who cares if he has all of the belts? It honestly doesn’t matter. Nobody will care nor will it affect how anybody looks at his career.

Canelo is like Mayweather was at the end of his career. He makes so much money that belts can just get in the way. It creates no leverage because you can get any fight you want with or without a belt. That’s all belts are good for nowadays. It sometimes creates fights that should happen.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    I say again and again, this is why I don’t pay attention to belts. Having ONE belt per weight class makes sense. When you have 10 belts per weight class then these kinds of ridiculous things happen. Who cares if he has all of the belts? It honestly doesn’t matter. Nobody will care nor will it affect how anybody looks at his career.

Canelo is like Mayweather was at the end of his career. He makes so much money that belts can just get in the way. It creates no leverage because you can get any fight you want with or without a belt. That’s all belts are good for nowadays. It sometimes creates fights that should happen.

The alphabet orgs have cheapened the "value" of the belts themselves. Especially the WBC (World Boxing Corruption). In their rush to shower their favorites with belts, they've made up all sorts of meaningless belts. Sort of like when a kid wins a race at a field day event, and then finds out everybody gets a trophy.

Thread Information