Thread: Fighters who've beaten one of your favorites and you still became a fan

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Fighters who've beaten one of your favorites and you still became a fan

Don't know whether this has been talked about before, but.......

In my case, I'd say Alexis Arguello. This classy Nicaraguan boxer-puncher ATG twice defeated a local favorite, Alfredo Escalera, in classic bouts. Yet he won over the Puerto Rican boxing fans with his class and grace in and out of the ring.

He's one of my all-time favorites.

Was devastated when he suffered those two nasty KO losses to Aaron Pryor.

I was also a big Sugar Ray fan, even though he beat one of our ATG's in Wilfredo Benitez in a classic match between master boxers.

Duran I didn't care for at first, as I viewed him as not been a good sportsman. He beat our Esteban deJesus in their rubber match and I was devastated. But Roberto kind of grew on me as his career went on. One of the best of all time.

I was a fan of Pacquiao before he beat Miguel Cotto... and became even more of a fan when he crushed Margacheato's eye socket.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Fighters who've beaten one of your favorites and you still became a fan

I’ve been trying to think and honestly I can’t think of any. I’ve definitely had fighters who I didn’t like and they grew on me, but I don’t think that has happened after they beat a fighter that I liked.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Fighters who've beaten one of your favorites and you still became a fan

Tito beat my favourite fighters in Campus and Carr so I reluctantly became a fan of his until he fought Vargas. Then Tito did his thing to Vargas.

Mike McCallum after he beat Herol Graham. I looked at the bodysnatchers career and thought that he was really a good fighter to lose against and there was no shame in that.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This sickens me to say because I hated him so much for so many years but eventually I became a fan of SRL, long after he retired for good. He beat all my favorites but once he was gone I eventually gave in to the fact he did everything I want a fighter to do. Take on all the best guys, show skill and show heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good spot for Roy Jones jr pulling the pair on me in Hopkins and Toney. Wouldn't say I became a fan but that was the mic drop time for Jones Jr. He toyed with Toney before and during the fight, all that weight stuff is on Toney.

Humberto Gonzalez wins 2 and 3 v Carbajal. Chiquita always had fight fan appeal once the bell rang but the adjustments he made and came back from, new respect. Whitaker over Nelson maybe.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Manny Pac. I couldn't stand him beating up Barrera and then working his way up to the near murder of Hatton. However, once he whipped DLH I warmed a little. Then even though he kept winning I gradually conceded that he was just superb and enjoyed him for what he was.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    This sickens me to say because I hated him so much for so many years but eventually I became a fan of SRL, long after he retired for good. He beat all my favorites but once he was gone I eventually gave in to the fact he did everything I want a fighter to do. Take on all the best guys, show skill and show heart.
    100% agree, I despised him for his manipulation during his comeback especially robbing Hearns in their second fight.

However looking back at his welterweight career he was an ATG and proved it by beating the very best.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Eubank I suppose who beat my first boxing hero Nigel Benn (I don't count Frank Bruno as a hero of mine - we all liked him for a different reason).

Didn't like Eubank till the end of his career but went to his last 3 fights as a fan.
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Thread Information