Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  28
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: can roman gonzalez become a force again?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default can roman gonzalez become a force again?

he is 32 so not the freshest daisy for a lower weight fighter and hasn't fought since last september. it didn't look like he had lost a step in his last fight and has seemed to indicate he wants to continue his career. a rematch with estrada or a third go round with rungvisai can propel back to the top. we also missed an ioka fight at flyweight as the japanese fighters management thought their man wasn't ready at that stage. it's a big enough fight to appeal to nietes. yafai and ancajas would leap at the opportunity i would assume. so can gonzales reach the top of the sport again or has he reached the point of no return and will now become a name on a record for others?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: can roman gonzalez become a force again?

I think Chocolatito has a few more fights left in him. 32 might seem a bit long in the tooth, but some of the other big names in the division are near that age themselves. I don't think he needs to see Rungvisai again, as it would probably be the same result or worse. Wasn't that long ago it seems like that Gonzalez was considered in the top 2 or 3 p4p...... funny how things change in a short time. I don't think he's ready to become "a name" on others' records just yet.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You could claim that the Roman were the best fighter in the world before he went up. A fourth weight has been added to the claim. Only one real loss. I would love him fighting with Ioka. I think he can return to the top of the department if he is without injury

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I want to see him try he lays out Yafai right now

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roman Gonzalez was hugely entertaining and gave us some highly entertaining and exciting matches. I hope he can get some big matches, avenge his losses and make some big money to retire on. His last fight he looked as good as ever but was against a limited opponent.

Truthfully I think he will lose his next big fight but want him to at least win a version of a world title if he is managed correctly.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He can’t be what he was. When a fighter is past their best they’re past their best. The idea of a guy regaining their best for a night isn’t real. An opponent can make them look great, they can show great courage, heart, even have a great fight. But their best abilities are gone.

That said he could be a champion

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think he's been the same since his last trainer passed. Physically I think he can continue, mentally? well.... maybe that's a different story. Loss, loss of his trainer and KO loss is a lot to take in so close together. Unless there's an Apollo creed looking that's going to fill that space and help him find his mojo again and remind him to box when he feels inclined to brawl.... history could repeat itself when he faces a strong fighter.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Roman Gonzalez was hugely entertaining and gave us some highly entertaining and exciting matches. I hope he can get some big matches, avenge his losses and make some big money to retire on. His last fight he looked as good as ever but was against a limited opponent.

Truthfully I think he will lose his next big fight but want him to at least win a version of a world title if he is managed correctly.
    Calling Fuentes limited is a lil harsh brother sure he's on the slide but most of his losses were against top guys

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hard for me to see him coming back to form. Didn't have to pull out of the hbo finale with a torn meniscus? Hard road back and Estrada, Wanger and Yafai all all with Hearn now. Always like to see the greats come back reasonably but more often they'll get patched back together should he go on and brought in for the massive scalp right off.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

Calling Fuentes limited is a lil harsh brother sure he's on the slide but most of his losses were against top guys
    Fair enough I do not know much about him.

Gonzales looked good and finished the fight well.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roman moved up in weight he struggled the guys are bigger and can take his punches.
    At the lower weights he was simply devastating probably a case of no your limits but you would have to say a great little fighter a joy to watch.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    He can’t be what he was. When a fighter is past their best they’re past their best. The idea of a guy regaining their best for a night isn’t real. An opponent can make them look great, they can show great courage, heart, even have a great fight. But their best abilities are gone.

That said he could be a champion
    he'll never regain his peak form. rungvisai's size may always be a struggle. estrada and ioka are on form. if gonzalez has anything left those are 2 winnable fights.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gonzalez has a special place among Japanese combat fans

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roman Gonzalez has announced that he will return to the ring on 2019年12月23日 against a limited Filipino Diomer Diocos (14-5-3, 4) in an eight-round match at 116. This is in the Murata Ryota undercard

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Baal View Post
    Roman Gonzalez has announced that he will return to the ring on 2019年12月23日 against a limited Filipino Diomer Diocos (14-5-3, 4) in an eight-round match at 116. This is in the Murata Ryota undercard
    great to see him back in action, can't expect too much from the opponent given roman's inactivity

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Thread Information