Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Dadashev suffers brain injury in IBF fight with Matias

Maxim Dadashev has two hour surgery for a subdural hematoma. He suffered the brain swell after fighting Subriel Matias in an eliminator for Josh Taylors IBF juniour welterweight title. He has had to have part of his skull removed to lessen the pressure. Thoughts and hopes that he can pull through and make a decent recovery. Buddy McGirt was in his corner and pulled him out before the start of the 12th

"Maxim Dadashev has been rushed to hospital for brain surgery after his TKO loss to Subriel Matias in Maryland.

The Russian boxer underwent surgery at the University of Maryland's Prince George Hospital Centre in an attempt to reduce swelling on his brain.

Matias pounded Dadashev throughout the 11th round of the fight, and the Russian had difficulty making it back to his corner.

Before the 12th round began, Dadashev’s head trainer Buddy McGirt warned that he was going to stop the fight because of the punishment doled out.

Dadashev had a blank stare on his face and didn’t utter a word.

McGirt then took matters into his own hands and told the referee he wouldn’t be continuing...."

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/boxing-m...064831489.html
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Dadashev suffers brain injury in IBF fight with Matias

OMG that is horrible news.

I knew the fight was going on and of course I was rooting for Matias to come out on top....... but never would I have guessed how it all ended. Damn..... it's this type of ending that makes everyone start second-guessing. Should the corner have stopped it earlier. Should the ref have stepped in earlier. I didn't see the fight, so I don't know whether Dadashev was defenseless at any time, which is usually when the ref steps in. Brain injuries are life-threatening and completely career-ending. Dadashev right now couldn't care less about boxing, and obviously just wants to go back to living a normal life.

My prayers go out to him and to his family, who must be totally devastated.

It's tough to celebrate the win of a local up-and-coming fighter, when his opponent has been left in such a state.

Is it my imagination? Or are these injuries happening slightly more frequently now than 5 to 6 years ago?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fuck me, what a call by Buddy McGirt, might have saved his life, respect to that man. Even pleaded with the Russian 2nd to speak up.
    Last edited by Fenster; 07-21-2019 at 08:19 AM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

These brain injuries are piling up regularly these days. The authorities need to investigate this.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sadly Maxim Dadashev has passed away.

"Super lightweight prospect Maxim Dadashev has sadly passed away due to injuries sustained last Friday night in his eleventh round stoppage loss to Subriel Matias at the MGM National Harbor in Oxon Hill, Maryland. The native of St. Petersburg, Russia had come to call the area of Oxnard, California home since making his professional debut in the spring of 2016. Dadashev (13-1, 11 KO’s) was unable to answer the bell for the final round of his IBF super lightweight eliminator against Matias shortly after his trainer, recent International Boxing Hall of Fame inductee James “Buddy” McGirt stopped the contest.

The bout, which was televised on the streaming platform ESPN+, showed Dadashev leaving the ring under his own power, yet collapsing almost immediately thereafter. The 28-year-old boxer known as “Mad Max” was then taken to UM Prince George’s Hospital Center in nearby Cheverly, Maryland and underwent a surgical procedure to relieve bleeding on his brain before being placed in a medically induced coma. We at Boxing.com extend our deepest sympathies and heartfelt thoughts to the Dadashev family and team"

http://www.boxing.com/maxim_dadashev_passes_away.html
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tragic news this, you could see he was in serious trouble when he was sat down after the 11th with no response to McGirt saying he was gonna stop the fight.
    The promoters won't like it but when the fuck are they gonna introduce mandatory pre fight scans and safer still scans between rounds that take under a minute using these handheld devices.
    You'd never send a Footballer or Sprinter out into a game with a fractured or broken leg so why risk a fighters actual life sending him in there without a brain scan, it's fact that in most cases the damage is done in sparring.
    Seems crazy in 2019 that still nothing more is being done to try and save young fighters lives.

ESPN news report -

Buddy McGirt talks death of Maxim Dadashev

https://www.badlefthook.com/2019/7/2...maxim-dadashev

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

R.i.p
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Heard it on the news on my way home, didn’t see the fight but very sad

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

tragic
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is why it's cringey when fighters say "I'm ready to die in the ring" and why I'm not as critical of guys quitting as most others seem to be. This game ain't no mfing joke.

Yes - Buddy McGirt pulled him out, but it was too late. Maybe buddy's thinks every one of his fighters has Arturo Gatti recouprative skills. But in no way was it McGirt's fault.

I think it's time for boxing to take a serious look at bringing back same day weigh ins. This will force these guys to fight closer to their natural weight. It looked like a 154 pounder vs a 140 pounder in the ring. Some boxers just can't rehydrate after losing all that weight. Taking punches to the head after that can have devastating affects on the brain. Matias was like a terminator. He threw almost well over 1200 punches in just 11 rounds, including (edit: nearly 900, 881 to be exact) 900 power punches, stalking Dadashev for every second of every round.

Also no oxygen and no ice pack on Dadashev's head ? Scandalous in this day and age.

Special thoughts for Matias too. Even the toughest no-heart mofo will be devastated by that outcome. Will he be the same after this ? Boom Boom, Ray Robinson, Emile Griffith all said they were never the same and though their fights with McClellan and Watson were not fatal, Nigel Benn Chris Eubank were never the same

It boggles the mind to think that as this man's brain was in the process of dying, he was still arguing with his trainer to continue on with the fight. Unbelievable. My prayers and thoughts go out to his family. Hopefully they get compensated financially to the max.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I remember how pissed Malinaggi was that Buddy stopped his fight. I think Buddy is going to take this hard, asking himself why didn't he stop it sooner. But as @Denilson-The-Comeback said, he did what he could.

And as Floyd states: this is the only sport that isn't a game.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Terrible. Just 28.

Thank funk Buddy McGirt pulled him out, at least he can take a smidgen of solace for putting Dadashev's health above pride and materialism. Imagine the shit he'd be getting, the backlash, had he not stopped it?
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

McGirt has said he was thinking of chucking the towel in 2 rounds before so it's definitely gonna fuck with his mind, same day weigh ins would help but pre fight & mid fight brain scans is the only way to give fighters the best protection.
    Massive problem is it could kill Boxing, no promoter or tv networks are gonna be up for fighters being stopped fighting before or during fights, ticket refunds, rearranging venues, tv slots and opponents would kill the Sport in time.

Was Matias varda tested?

Those punch stats are insane and he didn't appear to be slowing down, i saw the fight and he was upping the pace with every round and seemed stronger in the last few rounds.

Those stats are up there with Jarrell Miller's punch stats so questions have got to be asked.

El Kabong Guest

Terrible tragedy and it could happen to ANYONE and it could happen in any number of sports.

I feel for Dadashev's family, I feel for Buddy McGirt, I feel for Subriel Mattias, I feel for the Ref....I mean this kind of incident has a ripple effect and we've all seen it play out before and we'll see it play out again even after this.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The buddy should have just stopped it. Max did not have to agree. Most fighters will not agree in fear of repulsion for resignation. RIP a true warrior. Words of regret to his family and friends

Thread Information