Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to clean up boxing and make it more competitive

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Re: how to clean up boxing and make it more competitive

I totally agree with the weigh in on the day of...guys can die from A) trying to shed too much weight and B) fighting guys who in essence are totally out of their weight class

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Even with a same day weigh in you will have guys cutting weight. I think that they need to force the fighters to fight at their more natural weights. Do monthly or bi-weekly weigh ins of the fighters so that we can have a true idea of their natural weights. Do these for a set number of months and then that fighter can only lose up to 10lbs from that weight. I know it sounds impossible, but it is just an idea. This would keep mismatches from happening. Like the Gamache v Gatti fight, Gamache was a midget compared to Gatti. I know he signed the contract so he knew what he was getting. But someone needs to protect the fighters from themselves.

I agree with greynotsoold about the promoters. I would like to think that if the fighters had their way they would fight more often against the best of their divisions.
    You must be the change you want to see in the world. --Mahatma Gandhi

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Britkid
    Get a Union established in each and every country that has pro boxing. Have them individual Unions affiliated to a World Association; have that Association degree it's own ratings and National/Regional and World Champions for each division.
    I'm not sure unfortunately. Human nature being what it is, I think this would result in about 10,000 alphabet titles.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LawHoops
    in a perfect world-----that is

1 get rid of sanctiong bodies--this has been a popular theme for many years now...its time to stop talking about it and start doing something about it..........hire one commish of boxing and one regulating body and have one world champ per weight class--one belt-------one true champ.....it would give boxing some instant credibility

2 get rid of meaningless weight classes and structure it as follows:

A Heavyweight
    B Light heavy
    C middle
    D welter
    E light
    F feather
    G bantam
    H flyweight
    I straw (maybe)
    and ban roger mayweather for life

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TyBuff
    Even with a same day weigh in you will have guys cutting weight. I think that they need to force the fighters to fight at their more natural weights. Do monthly or bi-weekly weigh ins of the fighters so that we can have a true idea of their natural weights. Do these for a set number of months and then that fighter can only lose up to 10lbs from that weight. I know it sounds impossible, but it is just an idea. This would keep mismatches from happening. Like the Gamache v Gatti fight, Gamache was a midget compared to Gatti. I know he signed the contract so he knew what he was getting. But someone needs to protect the fighters from themselves.

I agree with greynotsoold about the promoters. I would like to think that if the fighters had their way they would fight more often against the best of their divisions.
    Thats actually a very good idea. i really like the idea of fighters fighting at their natural weight, although this would cause a problem for James Toney.

I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo against weigh in on the day of the fight for health reasons. Of course it would never happen due to the mortality rate doubling over any significant period of time.

Thread Information