Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default how to clean up boxing and make it more competitive

in a perfect world-----that is

1 get rid of sanctiong bodies--this has been a popular theme for many years now...its time to stop talking about it and start doing something about it..........hire one commish of boxing and one regulating body and have one world champ per weight class--one belt-------one true champ.....it would give boxing some instant credibility

2 get rid of meaningless weight classes and structure it as follows:

A Heavyweight
    B Light heavy
    C middle
    D welter
    E light
    F feather
    G bantam
    H flyweight
    I straw (maybe)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: how to clean up boxing and make it more competitive

And hand each boxer a battle ax. Two men enter ___ man leave?
    Guaranteeing only one champ.

Nah man, seriously I think having less divisions is bad. In a sport were 5 pounds means everything.
    Agree with one belt, but it is what it is. Sanction bodies... they establish some good rules. But for the most part, they are stupid. As for boxing's shortcomings, I can live with it. I guess I like complicated things, and boxing is the most complicated sport around, even if people think it's barbaric.

The best I can wish for is for the best fighters to fight each other. Seldom happens, but when it does it's something special.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LawHoops

1 get rid of sanctiong bodies--this has been a popular theme for many years now...its time to stop talking about it and start doing something about it..........hire one commish of boxing and one regulating body and have one world champ per weight class--one belt-------one true champ.....it would give boxing some instant credibility

A Heavyweight
    B Light heavy
    C middle
    D welter
    E light
    F feather
    G bantam
    H flyweight
    I straw (maybe)
    I agree with your first point but not on your second.One division one champion.

I think the weight divisions as they are make boxing a safer sport for the fighters.Welter to middle is to big a gap for example.It makes it to hard for the boxers to make the weight and dangerous at the same time.
    Balls

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LawHoops

A Heavyweight
    B Light heavy
    C middle
    D welter
    E light
    F feather
    G bantam
    H flyweight
    I straw (maybe)
    UNION
    Hidden Content

Welcome to the 21st Century. No Sex, Drug and Rock'n'Roll. All we have nowadays is AIDS, Meth and Crap Music Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was honestly expecting the answer to be:

MATCH GATTI AGAINST EVERYONE!

Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I also agree with your first opinion but not on the second one. I think they need to have all the sanctioning bodies have an elimination and the winner get one belt that one being the ring, but only after an elimination, and have the ring name the number one contender. as far as weight classes go 5 lbs do make a lot of difference so I believe that should be left as it is now.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

a federal commisoin could do alot more...it could inforce a nationwide orginization for judging...it could force a champion to defend against the number one contender at lesat annually. They could set percentages on purses in relation to a fighters rank to get rid of the money issues. Standardize what kind of contracts promoters/managers/etc can sign with fighters and set up a pension....there are alot of issues that a strong federal commission could do once it got rid of the alphabets.
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The only problem is that I dont see the promoters and the alphabelt organizations letting go very easily. Most of those guys have more power to try to prevent a "good" federal commision from happening. Hopefully I am assumin to much about that, but it is hard for me to see a "good" federal commision being established without some type of interference from the promoters and the alphabelts organization.
    You must be the change you want to see in the world. --Mahatma Gandhi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Make it more like the UFC maybe?

I have to admit, UFC does a way better job of promoting events and UFC as a whole. The top guys fight each other much more often as well. Not so much politics either.

I think if boxing was run this way we'd see the fights we want to see more often. In UFC they put the guys together to fight if the fans want it... there are no promoters in the way creating trouble or overpricing their fighters etc.

One belt is key for sure.

I do think we need the weight classes. Today when nutrition and training is so advanced, the 5lbs can make a world of a difference.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by YounGun
    Make it more like the UFC maybe?

I have to admit, UFC does a way better job of promoting events and UFC as a whole. The top guys fight each other much more often as well. Not so much politics either.

I think if boxing was run this way we'd see the fights we want to see more often. In UFC they put the guys together to fight if the fans want it... there are no promoters in the way creating trouble or overpricing their fighters etc.

One belt is key for sure.

I do think we need the weight classes. Today when nutrition and training is so advanced, the 5lbs can make a world of a difference.
    Because they have too. They wouldn't sell tickets if they didn't because they make a quarter of what the boxers make.....Long live the King of the cage match. Chuck Liddel.
    Hidden Content

Welcome to the 21st Century. No Sex, Drug and Rock'n'Roll. All we have nowadays is AIDS, Meth and Crap Music Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Get a Union established in each and every country that has pro boxing. Have them individual Unions affiliated to a World Association; have that Association degree it's own ratings and National/Regional and World Champions for each division.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The saddest about this, is that it's all wishfull thinking and hoping. we all wish but may never happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well Im going to give a contrary view. With only one belt, there would be a danger that the single champion could avoid the best fighters out there.

Looking back over the history books, how many gr8 fighters never got their chance to fight for the title? At least with the current system, if the path to one belt is blocked the better fighter can get a share of the title by fighting for an alternative belt.

In any one division, we all have an opinion who the best champion is, so its not critical to make it "official" by enforcing aa unification match to produce one champion.

However, this assumes that there is no way of enforcing a champion to fight the best fighters out there.

Currently, the rankings are very subective. An objective formula needs to be found to make them fairer.

More questions than answers in my post, but I doubt we will have any changes to teh boxing authorities any time soon!

El Kabong Guest

A league with a comissioner who is previously unaffiliated with any sanctioning bodies and promoters.

I'm not a fan of Unions but since it's a sport it's ok

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Keep the federal government out of an international port since they can't handle what they've already got to do. Laugh the sanctioning bodies out of existence. Keep the 105, 112, 118, 126, 135, 147, 160, 175, 195, and hw classes. Make it illegal for a promoter to have options on a fighter, or to have more than a one fight at a time agreement with any boxer. Weigh in the day of the fight. Do away with television for all but the biggest fights: when the fighters make their $ from the live gate they'll fight more often and against better foes because who will pay to see a set up record padding fight?
    Fighting more will make boxers more skilled defensively so decisions will have to count again, and a loss or twoor ten shouldn't end a career.

Thread Information