Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Andy Ruiz Jr vs Anthony Joshua rematch

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    Pretty sure ruiz will have already signed something that doesn't give him much of a choice where the rematch is... But if he wants to go go fully anti contract hardball, good for him, makes it funny for everyone watching.
    I am sure Ruiz is playing hard ball and has no legal leg to stand on when he signed the contract for the rematch.

If he is going “fully anti contract hardball” then he will want the fight in USA. I do not blame him as history has shown he will not win a decision over here and have a favourable ref.

If Ruiz does decide to fight in the UK he will be expected to be compensated adequately for fighting AJ in UK. Where that additional money is coming from is probably where the impasse is currently, is it coming from Eddie/Sky/AJ.

The worst case could be Ruiz not having the rematch, being stripped of his title and becoming another people’s champion.

Yes, it does make it funny for everyone watching
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Do you guys realise Ruiz is "promoted" (advised) by Al Haymon? Look him up if you've never heard of him, the most "powerful" man in boxing.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Pretty sure ruiz will have already signed something that doesn't give him much of a choice where the rematch is... But if he wants to go go fully anti contract hardball, good for him, makes it funny for everyone watching.
    I do not blame him as history has shown he will not win a decision over here and have a favourable ref.
    What history proves Ruiz can't win a decision in Britain?

And the fact he can't have a "favourable ref" in the UK is a good thing, right? Nobody should have a "favourable" ref.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    I do not blame him as history has shown he will not win a decision over here and have a favourable ref.

And the fact he can't have a "favourable ref" in the UK is a good thing, right? Nobody should have a "favourable" ref.
    You said yourself AJ is worth millions so things are going to work in his favour.

Why else is Ruiz insisting he has the fight in USA?

I thought Wlad was winning against AJ before the stoppage but I believe AJ was in front by the judges. The ref prematurely stopped the fight against Takam protecting AJ’s knockout record.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If I was Ruiz I would demand fucking everything to make sure I was financially secure for life - and the next generation.

If he loses the rematch (for the record , at present, I don't believe he will) he's not going to be getting a rematch or another big pay day any time soon and will have to build up again - these guys who get labelled one time wonders have a habit of disappearing.....

How long have they got to sort this rematch it's doing everyone's head in.

I think it's fair to have it in the UK and will be in the contract. But as for the pay day fuck yes Ruiz should milk it.
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You said yourself AJ is worth millions so things are going to work in his favour.

I thought Wlad was winning against AJ before the stoppage but I believe AJ was in front by the judges. The ref prematurely stopped the fight against Takam protecting AJ’s knockout record.
    So all AJ's fights have been fixed in his favour? Interesting. Even the stoppages are bogus.

Does this corruption, skulduggery and manipulation only apply to AJ or all British fighters? Have you ever noticed it anywhere else in the world? Any other fighters? There are lots and lots of rich ones.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So all AJ's fights have been fixed in his favour? Interesting. Even the stoppages are bogus.

Does this corruption, skulduggery and manipulation only apply to AJ or all British fighters? Have you ever noticed it anywhere else in the world? Any other fighters? There are lots and lots of rich ones.
    When did I say all AJ's fights have been fixed in his favour. The stoppage against Takem was not necessary it could have carried on.

This happens is boxing, especially when the fighter carries a lot of power.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When did I say all AJ's fights have been fixed in his favour. The stoppage against Takem was not necessary it could have carried on.

This happens is boxing, especially when the fighter carries a lot of power.
    history has shown Ruiz will not win a decision over here
    Wlad was winning against AJ before the stoppage and the ref prematurely stopped the fight against Takam protecting AJ’s knockout record.
    That's two cases of "corruption" you've identified regarding AJ's career - the ref was "fraudulent" in the Takam contest and "judges" in Wlad's case.

What fights weren't predetermined? Is this shameful, dishonest, unethical practice exclusive to British fighters?

((#not all, #not all, #not all )
    Last edited by Fenster; 08-05-2019 at 03:09 PM.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Most fights where there is a lot of money/power at stake there are elements of favouritism for the “house fighter” and it is not exclusive to British fighters.

It has happened for years and can be the difference for a win or loss which is why they stack the odds in their favour no matter how trivial.

Obviously a knockout makes all the posturing redundant but even then fighter like Buster Douglas nearly lost his titles when he beat Tyson.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you watch these arguments for who changes what is said and takes evidence of occurrence to a sarcastic “all” to dismiss the witnessed evidence then you know who has a poor argument.

Fact is UKAD created a real issue for UK fighters in their policy. The only champions that will travel to the UK right now are those that are absolutely sure they are significantly better than their opponent or getting paid through the roof. Until they inform opponents of failed drug tests anyone will be justified in refusing to travel. Contract or not. Does anyone really believe if a fighter fights their contract in court with the argument “they are willing to put me in with a fighter they know is on PEDs without telling me” that said fighter will lose their case? Eddie wouldn’t even take it to court it’s so easy to see the outcome. So what about the commissions, does anyone think they are eager to side with UKAD not informing them?

But let’s say the commissions do strip Ruiz, has it hurt Fury? Can’t Fury get a big fight any time he wants? Don’t they call him the champion without a belt? So wouldn’t they call Ruiz a champion without belts? Who really gets hurt most if Ruiz is stripped? Ruiz, who could still have a PPV with Wilder or Joshua twice going around picking up another mans belts? Maybe you can pick up another mans belts once without a stigma but twice, I don’t know man. I think that puts him in a very bad light.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am sure Ruiz is playing hard ball and has no legal leg to stand on when he signed the contract for the rematch.

If he is going “fully anti contract hardball” then he will want the fight in USA. I do not blame him as history has shown he will not win a decision over here and have a favourable ref.

If Ruiz does decide to fight in the UK he will be expected to be compensated adequately for fighting AJ in UK. Where that additional money is coming from is probably where the impasse is currently, is it coming from Eddie/Sky/AJ.

The worst case could be Ruiz not having the rematch, being stripped of his title and becoming another people’s champion.

Yes, it does make it funny for everyone watching
    Depends on the contract Ruiz signed. If he decides not to fight Joshua again and signs to fight somebody else he could contractually be liable for every penny he makes from the new fight plus x million dollars in penalties. And that's before the sanctioning bodies get involved.

Realistically if he tries to duck out of the agreement he'd probably spend an indefinite period out of boxing and in various courtrooms and be stripped of his titles which Joshua would then fight somebody else for and by the time the whole thing was resolved in the courts he'd be a distant memory with no leverage to get any kind of decent fight and massive legal debts.

Ruiz can make as much noise as he wants but the contract he signed will almost certainly mean he has to do what Joshua wants.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    If I was Ruiz I would demand fucking everything to make sure I was financially secure for life - and the next generation.

If he loses the rematch (for the record , at present, I don't believe he will) he's not going to be getting a rematch or another big pay day any time soon and will have to build up again - these guys who get labelled one time wonders have a habit of disappearing.....

I think it's fair to have it in the UK and will be in the contract. But as for the pay day fuck yes Ruiz should milk it.
    If Matchroom are even minimally competent at drawing up contracts, and I'm sure they are, Ruiz' purse for the rematch will have been included in the original contract. He'll be able to stamp his foot and make threats and may get a few extra quid but it won't be anything substantial. Maybe he'll get a Nando's all-you-can-eat-free card valid for however long he's in Britain.
    Last edited by Kirkland Laing; 08-05-2019 at 06:48 PM.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post

If Matchroom are even minimally competent at drawing up contracts, and I'm sure they are, Ruiz' purse for the rematch will have been included in the original contract. He'll be able to stamp his foot and make threats and may get a few extra quid but it won't be anything substantial. Maybe he'll get a Nando's all-you-can-eat-free card valid for however long he's in Britain.
    I remember Whyte turning down the April fight specifically because the rematch clause stipulated what he would be entitled to which was in his opinion very low.

These rematch clauses need to be banned and made illegal.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I remember Whyte turning down the April fight specifically because the rematch clause stipulated what he would be entitled to which was in his opinion very low.

Even assuming it would be possible to ban the formally legally codified result of the disparity in negotiating leverage between a champion and a challenger, which it isn't, why would you want to do this? What difference does it make?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Even assuming it would be possible to ban the formally legally codified result of the disparity in negotiating leverage between a champion and a challenger, which it isn't, why would you want to do this? What difference does it make?
    I think they banned "options" in boxing, where the promoter of the champion has a say in the next fight(s) of the challenger should they win. So they could do the same with rematch clauses, it gives the challenger very little say in the next fight in terms of money, venue and other key factors of their career. It could be argued Ruiz could earn far more if he was free to negotiate on a fair level field.

Thread Information