Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  21
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10 best boxers of all time named..

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: 10 best boxers of all time named..

Mundine was boxing Ottke ears off before the knock out. How the feather fisted Ottke did that is a miracle that I will never understand.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Some people just don’t like math, and that’s okay. Perhaps they are swell spellers, or are charming in a dim sort of way.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuzo View Post
    i rank carlos monzon pretty high. maybe not that high.
    Top 15'ish maybe Yuzo?
    spicoli, its all bullshit.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

An algorithm can only use quantifiable evidence. It can’t take into account the eye test. I’m not sure how boxrec ranks its fighters, but even its rankings of current fighters is pretty bad. It also can’t account for off nights or losing to known cheaters. There are so many things that an algorithm can’t account for that it will never be a good list.

Although when we humans do it, we give completely different lists so maybe we are just as wrong.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I rate Monzon very highly, but he's not Top 10. Ditto for Archie Moore. Fishnets disgraces the list. Way above Fishnets are both Wifredos (Gomez and Benitez). Not having SRL in there just proves the immense ignorance of whoever wrote that list. Even more ignorant for omitting Roberto Duran.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    An algorithm can only use quantifiable evidence. It can’t take into account the eye test. I’m not sure how boxrec ranks its fighters, but even its rankings of current fighters is pretty bad. It also can’t account for off nights or losing to known cheaters. There are so many things that an algorithm can’t account for that it will never be a good list.

Although when we humans do it, we give completely different lists so maybe we are just as wrong.
    A good algorithm will take in to account far more layers than any human is capable of taking into account. FE-opposition, oppositions opposition, oppositions oppositions opposition, etcetera, age, timing compared to prime, 800 other ways. But you can look at this list, I haven’t read about it, and you can tell it’s heavily weighted towards wins/losses and opposition. Unfortunately too weighted. I always say all that matters is who you fight, but I think it’s understood that isn’t all that matters. There’s 1000 layers and you can’t weigh them equally, some of it you have to see, you have to see SRL against Hearns to understand SRLs greatness. To see that a man can be better than they are. It’s not just that a man wins or losses but how they win or lose. And I don’t mean KO or decision, but did he try alternative tactics, did he dare to be great when losing or did he Broner.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    The algorithm can't produce what Lyle wants, it has NOTHING to do with personal bias, cultural, social or political impact.

You don't know anything about Pep, Armstrong, Marciano's or Otkke's "opposition" apart from what you've read (the odd fight/clip doesn't count).
    OK I guess Fenster will take my opinion personally, sorry

The algorithm ....the algorithm apparently doesn't account for successful title defenses but quite clearly stated beside Ali's name is all about his impact outside the ring, why?
    The algorithm wasn't created by the "writer" of those comments, Lyle. The "writer" stole the list from boxrec then added comments. The list is based on a points system not personal opinion.

I didn't take your opinion personally, I merely tried to answer your questions, that's all. You asked where's Pep? Louis? Ottke (the last one is a joke, dude, just some light-hearted irony)? I merely tried to explain they didn't score as highly as others due to the algorithm used.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    The algorithm wasn't created by the "writer" of those comments, Lyle. The "writer" stole the list from boxrec then added comments. The list is based on a points system not personal opinion.

I didn't take your opinion personally, I merely tried to answer your questions, that's all. You asked where's Pep? Louis? Ottke (the last one is a joke, dude, just some light-hearted irony)? I merely tried to explain they didn't score as highly as others due to the algorithm used.
    Then I guess thanks for taking the time to address me personally seeing how I'm the only one with an issue regarding this list of 10 best boxers all time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When I posted this thread I had no idea it was actually taken from a 'Boxrec' list! I also worried that 'top 10 greatest' has been done to death and I would get hammered for it. But now knowing this is actually a Boxrec list,....im fuc*ing astounded!

Algorithms don't take into account rigged scorecards, bad referees, or even chilli in the eyes...(Ali vs Liston) Ae all PBF wins all non controversial wins? Did the judges get ALL his winning rounds right? Does the algorithm take into account layoffs? Struggles to make weight and many other variables humans take into account that gives us our personal OPINIONS? Does an algorithm HAVE an opinion or is its verdict totally inflexible? Obviously so.

An algorithm cant know how hard a puncher is, or how hard a punch a fighter has taken and fights on. All an algorithm has is final results. Stats ultimately don't present the best evidence for valuing fighters. If they did, this top ten would be correct, and we know it isn't.

Stats leading up to Tyson vs Douglas has Tyson winning. Algorithms don't take into account human emotions, response to personal tragedy, determination or even lack of determination of a fighter that has been through an emotional state which changes a result, which changes the algorithm.

Fu*k robots. Give me human opinions and debate any day.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I see human intervention and opinion in the reasoning we see written under that list. Where did the thought of an algorithm come from? Something doesnt add up.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

List is garbage

Thread Information