Thinking about the other thread about Tyson, I’m wondering what this forum thinks about him. I know that to the casual fan, Tyson is one of, if not the best fighter of all time. Casual fans were excited about the knockouts and he was mega popular in his prime.

Obviously as knowledgeable fans, we know that he isn’t the best fighter ever. I’ve never seen him as #1 on any heavyweight list or really even top 3. The strange thing is that I think that Tyson was a great fighter, but he just never proved that he could be elite. He had the physical skills to be elite but not the mentality. He also didn’t have the will power to overcome his vices.

Making an all time list is tough because it constantly changes. I think that Tyson could realistically range anywhere from about 7-13 range on all time heavyweights. P4P wise, I’m not 100% sure he cracks top 100. It’s definitely possible but I have never made that big of list.

So while he was a great fighter, I don’t think he ever proved to be elite. What say you?