Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sergey Kovalev v Anthony Yarde

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    This job is really ruining my boxing viewing, might have to quit. Missed everything was that last shot a half jab?
    Yes, but Yarde was exhausted after giving everything in round 8.

I think Yarde is too muscle bound and tired too quickly.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That last jab brought the bread whew

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yarde was naive throwing his left from the waist. He isn't Roy Jones and basically wasted the chance to score with the jab.
    Over protected and over rated WBO media product.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

People saying Kovalev is past it at 36 are forgetting that B-hop's career pretty much started when he was 36 (After he beat Trinidad)

B-hop is a true legend, man.

But the fight ?

It was a valiant effort by Yarde but not quite valiant enough. I got my prediction wrong becase I thought it'd be a one sided win for either man and not be close. It was anything but.

The "How to Beat Kovalev" book is written & even civilians know it, but for some reason Tunde Ajayi didn't. Kovalevs resistance to body shots is almost equivalent to Khan's chin resistance. Kovalev has no poker face when it comes to them.

Yarde looked more effective when he tried to emulate Tysons side to side style of upper body movement, slipping inside the jab than when he was trying to be Mayweather. Which is ironic since he always says he based himself on Tyson until he met Tunde and he tried to create a new Floyd. He needs to get away from the TMT gym and stop trying to emulate the Mayweather style.

Why Yarde didn't just throw a 5 punch combination to the balls when he had Kov in trouble. It worked for Ward.

But push the pace and it's hasta la vista Krusher. Even when he had hurt Kovalev in the 8th. Yarde still didn't have his legs under him. He still wasn't able to stand back and really sink his punches in

And that's one the reason Kovalev didn't take a knee because Yarde was head-hunting too much. That's why amateur experience is important because when you're fatigued you resort back to the fundamental basics you were taught when you coming up. Yarde had only 12 amateur fights and that's why Kovalev despite his tiredness punched and clinched his way through the 8th, but a better, more schooled fighter than Yarde wouldn't have allowed that to happen.

At the end of the 8th Buddy McGirt (Kovalev's Trainer) said he was gonna throw in towel if Kovalev kept getting hit. That lit a fire. Buddy must have been real nervous with his previous fighter dying in that fight because he took too much punishment.

As everyone knows Yarde is gonna have to work on his stamina because all muscles do for most fighters is get their plug pulled out in the late rounds. Yarde's lack of 12-round conditioning was his eventual downfall. It's called boxing. Not Bodybuilding! "Skillz pay the Billz!" Muscles sell fights. People see muscles and the zero at the end of a record with all the KO's and they get weak in the knees.

But anybody knocking Yarde for going down on a jab should understand that he had ZERO left in the tank. A slight breeze woulda laid him out. Kovalev deserves a Heisman for the stiff-arm jab he showed in this fight. Yarde's lack of exp, no sparring during camp & lack of real conditioning bc of his muscle mass all worked to his detriment in the latter half of the fight. Hopefully he learns from this & comes back better.

And I know when a 36 year old fighter known for having stamina issues has far superior stamina than you, then it's not a good look. But kudos to Yarde for travelling to Kovalev's backyard and acquitting himself well for a major portion of the fight, but it really was too much of a step up, too quickly.

As for Kovalev if he can just control himself and not grope any more women on planes he will earn a mega payday with Canelo.

Last edited by Denilson-The-Comeback; 08-25-2019 at 12:25 PM.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Brave effort from Yarde. Good performance from Kovalev. First impressions of this fight turned out to be true. A step to far too soon. He had his opportunity, he nearly got it done. He was brave, if a little naive/stupid. He immediately had Kovalev going once he made an effort to hit the body, he should have invested more in that.

Yarde can come again. He needs to make changes though. Sparring a must, new trainer is a must. I know he's loyal to Tunde but he's not getting the best out of him, you wonder if he's even trying. He gave him next to no advice the whole time. screaming lions in the camp is fine in training and at press conferences, you need something a bit more constructive during a fight though.

The usual call for Yarde to ditch the weights, too muscular. I've no idea what his training is like but he looks to me like an incredibly aesthetically gifted bloke, not one that's packing on muscle banging weights. Him being fucked was all to do with a thousand punches on the noggin, not an impressive physique.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

David Haye expertly tells Anthony Yarde what he must do to become a world champion after Sergey Kovalev loss

Anthony Yarde came within touching distance of becoming the WBO light heavyweight world champion on Saturday night in Russia when he had Sergey Kovalev reeling.

The champion had successfully jabbed his way to a commanding position in the fight before Yarde rocked him in the eighth round and did everything in is power to knock him out.

Somehow, Kovalev survived and would come out the next few rounds with his second wind firmly behind him. Unfortunately, Yarde was spent.

Speaking in the BT Sport studio, former two-weight world champion David Haye said Yarde needed to have the physical tools to show that intensity at points in every round to become the very best – but he did show signs he can get there.

“I think he’ll review that fight and he’ll realise that in the eighth round where he had the most success, he needs to train like he fought in that round,” Haye started. “The intensity that he was punching… it was there, it was clearly in him. He just needs to be able to do that for a minute of every round. That intensity that he fought then, he needs to be able to do that for a minute every round.

“What he was doing in the first few rounds with Kovalev was good enough to beat the calibre of opponents that he was fighting up until this point. Now he realises that’s not enough. ‘What I did in the eighth round is more what I need to do’. Give me a minute of that intensity for a minute of every round for 12 rounds and I’ll show you a world champion.”

Haye knows a thing or two about what it takes to become a world champion and Yarde proved he had many of the tools previously doubted prior to his clash with Kovalev.

His chin was solid throughout the bout, he fearlessly traded and had the power to trouble the very best. Only exhaustion and experience got the better of him and he can correct both.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/5...ergey-kovalev/
    Last edited by Master; 08-25-2019 at 09:08 PM.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

this went as most non brits expected. too much, too soon
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    I had never heard of Anthony yard till this week. Just looked at his record and recognise no one on it.

Looking forward to watching it at a reasonable fight time!
    Yarde is our version of Roy Jones Junior. He is a very athletic boxer.
    Don’t compare the two
    lmao maybe old roy
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All these years on boxing message boards and I’m still regularly surprised by the majority reaction.

Everyone, everyone, should be incredibly pleased with Yarde’s performance.

But what still manages to surprise me is how fans are always “he should change X and Y and then...” he’s 28, sure he’s inexperienced so he can make more changes than most but history says most likely he is what he will be for the most part. And what he is is enough to enjoy. Will he be a world champion, that depends on which champion he fights. He probably won’t ever be the best at 175, but maybe the best move up and a lesser guy has a belt. Or maybe he never becomes champion but he gives us 5/6 exciting fights and makes some good coin doing that. That would be fantastic too.

There are lots of ways to have a great career, they don’t all include drastic changes leading to titles. In fact that is rare. It would not be surprising to see him have a few exciting fights taking heavy damage during them then drop off. As long as he gets out healthy with money to take care of himself and those he cares about then good on him.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I missed this but glad Kovalev won. From the sounds of it he doesn't have many fights left.

Why are you glad Kovalev won if you didn't watch it?
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I missed this but glad Kovalev won. From the sounds of it he doesn't have many fights left.

Why are you glad Kovalev won if you didn't watch it?
    Because he has had a good career and it is nice to see an older fighter still winning well. I'm a fan, but simply didn't get to see this one live. Have since watched and apart from a sloppy round 7 and 8 he looked mostly in control. Kind of doing a Calzaghe in refining his career towards the end by being a bit more calculated. But totally different styles. They change for different reasons. Kovalev hasn't got long now.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im glad Kovalev won too. Never liked him as a boxer, I just admire the way he is as a man.

El Kabong Guest

David Haye giving Yarde advice? Yarde RUN!

Yarde apparently fought well enough to make it competitive. I hope too much wasn't taken off him and he's able to rebound and continue to develop as a fighter.

With Kovalev I hope he just completely shitmixes Canelo...I know they'll probably set some bullshit catchweight so it's advantage Canelo but I want to see Canelo get KO'd

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It’s weird that both Yarde and Brown lost within a few weeks of each other. Both were supposed to be up and coming light HWs. Both do have great opportunities to comeback and make great careers.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Also, when a fighter calls another fighter out like this, I just feel that they know something we don’t. Kovalev of 4-5 years ago would destroy Canelo. He was in his prime and just too good. Now, I think Canelo sees that he has slowed and is no longer so aggressive. He is much more gun shy but can still get hit.

I actually doubt that Canelo is really that much smaller than Kovalev. Their weights probably won’t be that much different. The one thing that Canelo needs to watch out for is that he has fought some big punchers in his career and has been able to withstand those shots. The problem is that almost all fighters eventually wear down from that. Kovalev could take years off of Canelo’s fighting career even if Canelo wins. Kovalev is just a big puncher.

Thread Information