Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  38
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 133

Thread: In what round will Canelo stop Kovalev?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    13,712
    Mentioned
    616 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    584
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: In what round will Canelo stop Kovalev?

    I’m going with Kov. I know you shouldn’t bet with your heart but I just can’t take canelo. So what’s the deal with DAZN. Is it only streaming? Can you get one fight or you need to get a subscription. I’m really getting tired of paying 80 or more bucks for a fight. I’ve been waiting to watch them on allthebestfights.com which sometimes puts them up hours after it’s live or YouTube TV which u never know when the fight will be shown.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3,037
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    639
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: In what round will Canelo stop Kovalev?

    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    I’m going with Kov. I know you shouldn’t bet with your heart but I just can’t take canelo. So what’s the deal with DAZN. Is it only streaming? Can you get one fight or you need to get a subscription. I’m really getting tired of paying 80 or more bucks for a fight. I’ve been waiting to watch them on allthebestfights.com which sometimes puts them up hours after it’s live or YouTube TV which u never know when the fight will be shown.
    You can just subscribe for the month then cancel, it'd cost you 20 American quids though. Cheaper to sign up. For the year but if you don't like their service then that's pointless.

    Dazn is excellent value in Canada, actually underpriced, seems like there is less stuff on the American version though.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    13,712
    Mentioned
    616 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    584
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: In what round will Canelo stop Kovalev?

    Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    I’m going with Kov. I know you shouldn’t bet with your heart but I just can’t take canelo. So what’s the deal with DAZN. Is it only streaming? Can you get one fight or you need to get a subscription. I’m really getting tired of paying 80 or more bucks for a fight. I’ve been waiting to watch them on allthebestfights.com which sometimes puts them up hours after it’s live or YouTube TV which u never know when the fight will be shown.
    You can just subscribe for the month then cancel, it'd cost you 20 American quids though. Cheaper to sign up. For the year but if you don't like their service then that's pointless.

    Dazn is excellent value in Canada, actually underpriced, seems like there is less stuff on the American version though.
    Why is that, like what is the difference between US and Canadian content

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3,037
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    639
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: In what round will Canelo stop Kovalev?

    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    I’m going with Kov. I know you shouldn’t bet with your heart but I just can’t take canelo. So what’s the deal with DAZN. Is it only streaming? Can you get one fight or you need to get a subscription. I’m really getting tired of paying 80 or more bucks for a fight. I’ve been waiting to watch them on allthebestfights.com which sometimes puts them up hours after it’s live or YouTube TV which u never know when the fight will be shown.
    You can just subscribe for the month then cancel, it'd cost you 20 American quids though. Cheaper to sign up. For the year but if you don't like their service then that's pointless.

    Dazn is excellent value in Canada, actually underpriced, seems like there is less stuff on the American version though.
    Why is that, like what is the difference between US and Canadian content
    Wiki has a list of what dazn has the rights to in each country.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DAZN under sports rights section.

    Dazn Canada just has a ridiculous amount of stuff, all nfl games, English league (which I don't watch) champions League, serie a.. they don't have the spainish or french football league anymore though, a good amount of cricket and some other randomness :S... USA seems to be mostly just the fighting stuff, of which there is a good amount, you can have a look on wiki, it's hard to read on the phone or I'd sumarize it

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    13,712
    Mentioned
    616 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    584
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: In what round will Canelo stop Kovalev?

    Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    I’m going with Kov. I know you shouldn’t bet with your heart but I just can’t take canelo. So what’s the deal with DAZN. Is it only streaming? Can you get one fight or you need to get a subscription. I’m really getting tired of paying 80 or more bucks for a fight. I’ve been waiting to watch them on allthebestfights.com which sometimes puts them up hours after it’s live or YouTube TV which u never know when the fight will be shown.
    You can just subscribe for the month then cancel, it'd cost you 20 American quids though. Cheaper to sign up. For the year but if you don't like their service then that's pointless.

    Dazn is excellent value in Canada, actually underpriced, seems like there is less stuff on the American version though.
    Why is that, like what is the difference between US and Canadian content
    Wiki has a list of what dazn has the rights to in each country.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DAZN under sports rights section.

    Dazn Canada just has a ridiculous amount of stuff, all nfl games, English league (which I don't watch) champions League, serie a.. they don't have the spainish or french football league anymore though, a good amount of cricket and some other randomness :S... USA seems to be mostly just the fighting stuff, of which there is a good amount, you can have a look on wiki, it's hard to read on the phone or I'd sumarize it
    That’s cool I appreciate it. I’ll probably do it for the month and try it out like u said.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    57,004
    Mentioned
    1467 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2708
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: In what round will Canelo stop Kovalev?

    Andre Ward adamant Canelo Alvarez would not dare call him out if he defeats Sergey Kovalev

    Andre Ward insists Canelo Alvarez would not dare call him out if he prevails against Sergey Kovalev.

    The Mexican is stepping up two weight divisions on November 2, looking to become a four-weight world champion by seizing the WBO world light heavyweight title.

    Ward has been retired for more than two years after stopping Kovalev in June 2017 to secure back-to-back wins against the Russian, but at just 35 years of age, speculation remains over a potential comeback with the American admitting he left plenty of money on the table to walk away undefeated.

    With Canelo now the biggest name in the sport and able to offer tens of millions of dollars to the right opponent, a smiling Ward knocked back the possibility of facing him in the future.

    "I'm going to say this, I think people forget that I left a lot of money on the table (by retiring)," Ward told Fight Hub TV.

    "Not a little bit, a lot, tens of millions of dollars, so if Canelo beats Kovalev, god bless him.

    "He wouldn't do that (call me out). There's a difference between calling out Kovalev and me, I'm the man who beat Kovalev.

    "Don't you all remember? Twice!"

    Ward then offered his early analysis of the biggest fight left on the schedule this year.



    Ward added: "I don't know yet, there are a lot of variables, how heavy is Canelo coming in? Will he come in heavy concerned about the extra weight of Kovalev? Or stay somewhat light to remain faster.

    "How is his knee? He's got a bad knee, I know all about that. What does Kovalev have left?

    "How is Canelo going to get through the range? If it goes past six rounds, I like Canelo, but there are a lot of variables."

    https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/and...095300132.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    58,691
    Mentioned
    517 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2987
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: In what round will Canelo stop Kovalev?

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Andre Ward adamant Canelo Alvarez would not dare call him out if he defeats Sergey Kovalev

    Andre Ward insists Canelo Alvarez would not dare call him out if he prevails against Sergey Kovalev.

    The Mexican is stepping up two weight divisions on November 2, looking to become a four-weight world champion by seizing the WBO world light heavyweight title.

    Ward has been retired for more than two years after stopping Kovalev in June 2017 to secure back-to-back wins against the Russian, but at just 35 years of age, speculation remains over a potential comeback with the American admitting he left plenty of money on the table to walk away undefeated.

    With Canelo now the biggest name in the sport and able to offer tens of millions of dollars to the right opponent, a smiling Ward knocked back the possibility of facing him in the future.

    "I'm going to say this, I think people forget that I left a lot of money on the table (by retiring)," Ward told Fight Hub TV.

    "Not a little bit, a lot, tens of millions of dollars, so if Canelo beats Kovalev, god bless him.

    "He wouldn't do that (call me out). There's a difference between calling out Kovalev and me, I'm the man who beat Kovalev.

    "Don't you all remember? Twice!"

    Ward then offered his early analysis of the biggest fight left on the schedule this year.



    Ward added: "I don't know yet, there are a lot of variables, how heavy is Canelo coming in? Will he come in heavy concerned about the extra weight of Kovalev? Or stay somewhat light to remain faster.

    "How is his knee? He's got a bad knee, I know all about that. What does Kovalev have left?

    "How is Canelo going to get through the range? If it goes past six rounds, I like Canelo, but there are a lot of variables."

    https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/and...095300132.html



    Andre Ward would come back for that fight, big time bucks $$$$ and Andre Ward would fight Canelo in California and Andre Ward would win....these are facts my friends! Also I'm thinking if Canelo doesn't get popped for peds in the build up to this fight it's all very fishy especially if he beats Kovalev by KO....I'm very suspicious of Canelo.
    "Drown in a vat of whiskey.....death where is thy sting?" - W.C. Fields.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,984
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    379
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: In what round will Canelo stop Kovalev?

    I think that most people realize that Ward would be willing to come back if it meant making tons of money. If Ward is at all the same fighter then Canelo has basically zero chance at winning

  9. #69
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    20,535
    Mentioned
    443 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1644
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: In what round will Canelo stop Kovalev?

    All Canelo-Ward talk is really a moot point. It'll never happen. Canelo's picking off Kovalev because serious flaws were detected in him that Canelo can feasibly exploit. Because for all of his name recognition, Kovalev is the weakest of the four current 175-lb champions. Canelo's picking off Kovalev, and then will scurry back down and out of the 175-lb division.

    In fact, I have a new nickname for him..... "Sniper". With all apologies to "Sniper" Pedraza, who is lately not doing the nickname justice anyway. What is a sniper anyway? A marksman who picks off his carefully picked target from a safe distance and then slinks away. Canelo went up to 168 to pick off the incredibly weak and vulnerable champion Fielding..... and now is doing the same thing with Kovalev.

    How fukking transparent.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,696
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    506
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: In what round will Canelo stop Kovalev?

    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I'd say it depends.

    If he brings him down to 170..... waits 3-4 years..... and fights Kov in Texas (or Vegas) with CJ Ross as a judge..... I wouldn't bet against Canelo.
    Depends on if it goes to the judges. I always felt Kov was hyped up and a good Chad Dawson would have stopped him too.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

    Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    57,004
    Mentioned
    1467 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2708
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: In what round will Canelo stop Kovalev?

    Canelo Alvarez is daring to be great, but he's no Henry Armstrong

    There was a lot of talk about history at Union Station in Los Angeles on Wednesday when Canelo Alvarez and Sergey Kovalev met face-to-face to officially kick off their bout for Kovalev’s WBO light heavyweight on Nov. 2 at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas.

    Boxing historians have difficult jobs these days because many of the sport’s most cherished records have been bastardized by the explosion of sanctioning bodies and weight classes.

    Alvarez holds the WBA middleweight belt, which is the oldest of the four major sanctioning bodies — WBA, WBC, IBF and WBO — and also the most grotesque in the way it makes a mockery of the sport’s rich history.

    The WBA has three champions at heavyweight, two at cruiserweight and light heavyweight, three at super middleweight, two at middleweight and super welterweight, one (shockingly) at welterweight, two at super lightweight, one at lightweight and super featherweight, two at featherweight, super bantamweight and bantamweight, one at super flyweight, flyweight, light flyweight and minimumweight.

    If math isn’t your thing, that’s 29 men over 17 weight classes who the next time they fight will be introduced as a WBA world champion.

    And that’s just the WBA.

    It’s difficult to put a modern fighter’s accomplishments into proper historical perspective given the level of nonsense that the sanctioning groups pull.



    If Alvarez defeats Kovalev, he’ll become the fourth Mexican boxer and the 20th overall to win titles in four weight classes. He could join Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas Hearns and Mike McCallum as the only 154-pound champions to go on to win the light heavyweight title. It would be a magnificent achievement.

    There’s still nearly two months before the bout, which will be streamed on DAZN, but the early guess is that Alvarez will get it done. He’s a great body puncher, a much better defensive fighter than he’s given credit for and has a legendarily strong chin.

    Alvarez is too smart to drop his hands and allow Kovalev to tee off. He’ll create angles, move up and down, confuse Kovalev and win a clear decision.

    If he pulls it off, it will be an extraordinary feat. He’d hold WBA and WBC belts at middleweight, the WBA belt at super middleweight and the WBO belt at light heavyweight, if he defeated Kovalev.

    That, inevitably, will bring up talk of Henry Armstrong, who simultaneously held the featherweight, lightweight and welterweight titles at a time when there were only eight weight divisions in boxing.

    Armstrong, who is the second-greatest pound-for-pound boxer behind only Sugar Ray Robinson, won the lineal featherweight title on Oct. 29, 1937 by knocking out Petey Sarron. On May 31, 1938, he won the lineal welterweight title when he decisioned the legendary Barney Ross. And then, in his next fight on Aug. 17, 1938, Armstrong won a split decision over Lou Ambers to become the lineal lightweight champion.

    Doing that may be the single greatest feat by one man in boxing history. Anyone who tries to compare what Alvarez is attempting doesn’t understand a thing about boxing history.

    Sarron and Ross are members of the International Boxing Hall of Fame and Ambers won 88 fights in a nine-year career. Among those are wins over Hall of Famers Armstrong, Fritzie Zivic, Tony Canzoneri, Baby Arizmendi and Beau Jack.

    This is no criticism of Alvarez, but his super middleweight title came via a third-round knockout of the lightly regarded (to be kind) Rocky Fielding.

    Alvarez has stood out in an era when champions are everywhere and it’s difficult to make big fights. Alvarez has repeatedly sought the greatest challenges and for that, he’ll one day be enshrined in the International Boxing Hall of Fame.

    His only loss, in 2013 to Floyd Mayweather, helped him improve by leaps and bounds. He learned from the defeat, another sign of a brilliant fighter.

    Kovalev promoter Kathy Duva hit the right notes as she spoke of both men during her remarks in the news conference, noting both were what she called “throwback fighters.” A throwback fighter is someone like Robinson, who in February 1943 fought Jake La Motta twice, with a fight against California Jackie Wilson, in between.

    “I want to give special thanks to Sergey Kovalev and Canelo Alvarez,” Duva said. “That’s not just on behalf of Main Events. Right now, I’m speaking to both of you as a lifelong boxing fan, not just as Sergey’s promoter. There are precious few throwback fighters like Sergey and Canelo in boxing today. Unfortunately, at some point around the turn of the last century … boxing began to lose its way. Certain fighters, TV executives, critics, [and] members of the media became so obsessed with won-loss records that they began to forget that this is a sport.

    “Instead of building a legacy, preserving an ‘0’ and avoiding an unnecessary risk became the goal. To this day, some fighters are actually praised for it, though it blows my mind. Competition suffered because of that.”

    That has never been Alvarez. He has uplifted his sport repeatedly by accepting these kinds of challenges.

    He deserves to be commended for challenging Kovalev rather than agreeing to a mundane title defense against the likes of Sergiy Derevyanchenko he was virtually certain to win. He was stripped of his IBF belt for not fighting Derevyanchenko because his heart wasn’t in it and it wasn’t much of a fun fight. There’s a cruel irony in there that his one-time rival, Gennadiy Golovkin, had no problem jumping on what should be the easy title win when Alvarez declined it.

    But let’s not let the mess the sanctioning bodies have made of the championship lineage in this sport obscure one unassailable fact: What Alvarez is attempting to do is nowhere near on par with what Armstrong did in a 10-month span in 1937-38.

    It’s rare in today’s boxing, to be sure; but don’t even start to compare it in any way with what Armstrong did.

    That feat has never been replicated and, given the direction of the sport, may never be accomplished again.

    And that’s true no matter who wins on Nov. 2 at the MGM Grand Garden.

    https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/can...175129848.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,513
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    392
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: In what round will Canelo stop Kovalev?

    Crazy to think people can look at this size difference...

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uYsctokjwxs

    and call it a cherry pick. Kovalev is SIGNIFICANTLY larger, more racist and aggressive towards women than him.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3,037
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    639
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: In what round will Canelo stop Kovalev?

    Bloody ell, I'd say he'd need a step ladder but I'm assuming he'll be going for a full body assault, that is quite a size difference, it'll be a nice win for Alvarez if he manages it but I'm assuming they know kovalev is close to being finished but wotever, I'm looking forward to this one.

    I hope Alvarez takes on Andy ruiz for the Mexican heavyweight title after this, I'd watch.
    Last edited by palmerq; 09-20-2019 at 02:17 AM.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,984
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    379
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: In what round will Canelo stop Kovalev?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Crazy to think people can look at this size difference...

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uYsctokjwxs

    and call it a cherry pick. Kovalev is SIGNIFICANTLY larger, more racist and aggressive towards women than him.
    Low risk high reward. That’s why it’s a cherry pick. Worse comes to worst, Canelo loses and uses size as the excuse. Kovalev is also name recognition. There are many people between middleweight and light heavyweight that would be a harder match up.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    57,004
    Mentioned
    1467 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2708
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: In what round will Canelo stop Kovalev?

    Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Crazy to think people can look at this size difference...

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uYsctokjwxs

    and call it a cherry pick. Kovalev is SIGNIFICANTLY larger, more racist and aggressive towards women than him.
    Low risk high reward. That’s why it’s a cherry pick. Worse comes to worst, Canelo loses and uses size as the excuse. Kovalev is also name recognition. There are many people between middleweight and light heavyweight that would be a harder match up.
    Callum Smith comes to mind.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Canelo v Kovalev at 175
    By Beanz in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 07-23-2019, 11:57 PM
  2. Canelo,GGG,Ward,Kovalev
    By imp in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-18-2015, 01:07 AM
  3. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-01-2011, 12:35 PM
  4. FROCH to stop taylor before the 5th round
    By SEANIE in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-19-2009, 08:04 PM

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2019 Saddo Boxing - Boxing