Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Underrated fighters

Which fighters do you think get the least amount of respect compared to their skills and resume?

Usyk: The discussion has been had before here. I know that everyone thinks that he is good, but I basically think he is a cruiserweight Loma. He is so technically sound and is easily a top tier fighter now. Honestly, he is a dark horse #1 p4p guy to me (I remember I said the same thing about Crawford years back before he was that highly respected).

Berchelt: I feel as if Davis is always the main guy people talk about at that weight. Berchelt has beaten solid competition and has looked very impressive. He has even called out multiple fighters to no avail. I feel like he is just completely avoided. No one around that weight ever even mentions his name. I feel like fans or the media don’t talk about him much at all.

Juan Francisco Estrada: He is the best at his weight and his resume speaks for itself. He has fought tough competition throughout his career. I think it’s rare for someone at such a light weight to have such tough competition. He is a proven p4p fighter that doesn’t usually get that kind of respect.

Leo Santa Cruz: Santa Cruz has fought good competition and has beaten everyone he has fought. I understand that he isn’t the best fighter in the world, but IMO he is very overlooked by the general boxing media and fans. He has called out big names fighters and many won’t fight him.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Underrated fighters

Berchelt is very good and I am sure if he was given the opportunity he could beat Davis and dominate his weight division.

Josh Taylor is a brilliant boxer and hopefully will show it in his next big fight.

Saw Carlos Canizales at light flyweight dismantle and slowly beat Lu Bin (who was unbelievably only having his 2nd fight) and he was technically brilliant. Canizales just did not tire and kept on going at the same frantic pace.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I’m not sure how good Berchelt is but I am sure he is underrated because he is simply ignored. Loma shouldn’t have been given a pass for not fighting him and Davis shouldn’t be given a pass now if he doesn’t fight him. He definitely belongs on this list.

I say Ortiz, for some reason UK fans always talk about how old he is rather than how good he is.

Julian Williams, the way he dispatched Hurd was damn impressive

Thinking about this I quickly realize I don’t pay as close attention to all things boxing as I used to. I would have had a 20 person list in 2 minutes 8/9 years ago or farther back. I think the propaganda has burned me out. Should stop talking about the sport so much and just watch it.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wilder.
    What a shame we have a knockout artist that is dogged for not being something other than that. How many KO fighters actually had a sweet science style? Not Shavers, not Tua. Not Foreman, not Julian Jackson as we remembered had to have a few come from behind kos as with Graham.

All these supposed great heavies he is so-called ducking couldn't get the belt? Or any belt?
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Wilder.
    What a shame we have a knockout artist that is dogged for not being something other than that. How many KO fighters actually had a sweet science style? Not Shavers, not Tua. Not Foreman, not Julian Jackson as we remembered had to have a few come from behind kos as with Graham.

All these supposed great heavies he is so-called ducking couldn't get the belt? Or any belt?
    Wilder brought that all on himself by fighting bums for so long. Yes he won all the fights, but lord have mercy he fought some absolute shocking bouts. Now he CAN fix it by only fighting the best from now on.

Most underrated at present is Bud Crawford, he's always going to be underrated until he's given a big time fight vs a Pacquiao or Mayweather. All he does is win.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    I say Ortiz, for some reason UK fans always talk about how old he is rather than how good he is.

(hand up) Ooooh!! Me! Me!
    'Cause he hasn't fought AJ or Fury yet.

Agree. I can see why though. He wasn't exactly setting the world on fire before he up and got flattened by Charlo. Since then however, he's been most impressive.... and continues to fly under the radar.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

(hand up) Ooooh!! Me! Me!
    'Cause he hasn't fought AJ or Fury yet.

Agree. I can see why though. He wasn't exactly setting the world on fire before he up and got flattened by Charlo. Since then however, he's been most impressive.... and continues to fly under the radar.
    Yes, even in that loss he did well. Glad he won the title and hope he can be the top guy in the division.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Callum Smith all he does is WIN

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anyone trying top post over the last few hours . And Aaron Davis. Orlando Canizales on any long p4p list. The right hand of Junior Jones. Bert Cooper on a good day.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Anyone trying top post over the last few hours . And Aaron Davis. Orlando Canizales on any long p4p list. The right hand of Junior Jones. Bert Cooper on a good day.
    'Superman' Davis good call!

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

panya pradabsri, moruti mthalane, giemel magramo, jose zepada
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really underrated Beterbievs boxing game. Defense of Regis Prograis. The jab of old Alex Stewart.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i will add arsen goulamirian
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I’m not sure how good Berchelt is but I am sure he is underrated because he is simply ignored. Loma shouldn’t have been given a pass for not fighting him and Davis shouldn’t be given a pass now if he doesn’t fight him. He definitely belongs on this list.

Thinking about this I quickly realize I don’t pay as close attention to all things boxing as I used to. I would have had a 20 person list in 2 minutes 8/9 years ago or farther back. I think the propaganda has burned me out. Should stop talking about the sport so much and just watch it.
    Julian Williams and King Kong Ortiz are both great calls. Williams was impressive in beating Hurd- the knockout loss will be difficult for him to shake in today’s day and age. Both of those guys are very skilled fighters, in my opinion. I would have said Porter but think people realized how good he is after the Spence fight.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If we are talking fighters from any era, the following come to mind for me:
    1. Ezzard Charles: Think fans of later years tend to underrate him because they think solo about his time at heavyweight, and don’t realize that was towards the ends his career and not his best weight. If you look at his time at 175, he is in the discussion for greatest light heavy ever- knocked out a prime Archie Moore! People forget that he was never the same after killing a man in the ring, and that prior to that he was a dominant/ferocious fighter.
    2. Fernando Vargas: People focus on the losses, especially to Tito and Oscar. Look at Fernando’s wins prior to Tito: Yori Boy Campas was a decent win, but his win vs a prime Winky Wright and dominance over Ike Quartey were very impressive. He was too brave for his own good vs Tito, and that may have ruined him.
    3. Reggie Johnson: Very skilled southpaw who lost a disputed decision to a prime James Toney ( after knocking him down). Most remember him as a light heavy and losing to Roy (Roy has a ridiculous one-two that knocks Reggie down in that fight), but that wasn’t his ideal weight and the guy was VERY good at 160.

Thread Information