Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Underrated fighters

Did you know that Archie Moore was not allowed to fight for the world title until he was 36 and when he did beat Joey Maxim (who had just beaten Sugar Ray Robinson) held the light heavyweight title for a record 10 years! Just imagine how great he would have been considered if he had the opportunity years earlier at the peak of his powers!
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can Xu reminds of Calzaghe a bit, especially when throwing combinations while moving backwards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Felix Valera.

Extremely good chin and an entertainer. Sadly he doesn’t what seems to be proper coaching that could help him be more technical, so he’ll end up being a wasted talent.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

James Buddy McGirt was a wonderful fighter.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

moruti mthalane. he took out tete and casimero, back to back years ago
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    One super fight that got away...McGirt v Chavez. Buddy turned in a masterpiece with Simon Brown. Very low key matter of fact fighter and a top notch boxer puncher.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    One super fight that got away...McGirt v Chavez. Buddy turned in a masterpiece with Simon Brown. Very low key matter of fact fighter and a top notch boxer puncher.
    That was an excellent fight and he put Simon Brown down is that masterclass of a performance. That guy was really “old school” boxer.

I have 3 hour VHS tape dedicated to McGirt’s bouts his and there is no other fighter I have done that for.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    That was an excellent fight and he put Simon Brown down is that masterclass of a performance. That guy was really “old school” boxer.

I have 3 hour VHS tape dedicated to McGirt’s bouts his and there is no other fighter I have done that for.
    That's pretty cool. I used to do compilations of individual fighters but found I was breaking up to many 'complete cards' I recorded. Over editing and I love having complete cards with pre interviews and bios done in lead up. And let's be honest we old geezers know VHS tapes can quickly overtake complete rooms in the home .

I saw McGirt refer to Vincent Releford as the biggest puncher he's ever faced. Do you have that one by chance? He said when Baltazar dropped him he didn't remember a thing afterwards and fought on instinct over the next 7 rounds. The Brown fight was special. McGirt had the ultimate best and worst in two classics, can't forget a young buzzsaw Meldrick Taylor literally making McGirt look two steps behind the longer the fight went. That was one of his roughest nights no doubt.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

That's pretty cool. I used to do compilations of individual fighters but found I was breaking up to many 'complete cards' I recorded. Over editing and I love having complete cards with pre interviews and bios done in lead up. And let's be honest we old geezers know VHS tapes can quickly overtake complete rooms in the home .

I saw McGirt refer to Vincent Releford as the biggest puncher he's ever faced. Do you have that one by chance? He said when Baltazar dropped him he didn't remember a thing afterwards and fought on instinct over the next 7 rounds. The Brown fight was special. McGirt had the ultimate best and worst in two classics, can't forget a young buzzsaw Meldrick Taylor literally making McGirt look two steps behind the longer the fight went. That was one of his roughest nights no doubt.
    This is where you guys from the US are lucky. I do not have McGirt’s early career and his loss to Meldrick Taylor or the knock down he suffered. We only get to know the top US fighters once they were established champions. He lost to the HOF, elite Olympic, and best fighters of the time (although he lost to an unbeaten Frankie Warren which he later avenged and drew his pro debut) it was a joy to watch Buddy box.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ezzard Charles.

Started out as a FEATHERWEIGHT. Racked up a 42-0 amateur record, which included several top titles such as the Golden Gloves.

Went pro as a middleweight, where he marched up the ranks, twice soundly defeating the much avoided and legendary Charley Burley. Establishing himself as a top contender, he was drafted and lost two years of his prime to WW2 (nobody much mentions that)

Came back as a light heavy, where he beat every top contender, and where he OWNED the great Archie Moore, defeating him three times. He was frozen out of a title shot as nobody wanted any part of him, so he went to heavyweight, despite always remaking a natural light heavyweight.

Soon found himself debating the top guys there, including Jimmy Bivems and future King Jersey Joe Walcott. He widely out pointed the great Joe Louis (and at that point, you had to win wide over Louis to get a decision). Made several successful defences before being beaten by Jersey Joe (who did a Marciano on him)

Later on, he gave prime Marciano two life and death bouts, both the toughest fights that Rocky ever had.

A multitalented guy, he was also an accomplished bassoon player and played with many of the jazz greats of his era.

Why this guy isn't regularly mentioned among the elites of heavyweight history, and the all time great P4P fighters is beyond me. Maybe people don't really know their boxing history.

As a heavyweight - a true great who would have held the title for a long time at any time before his own. He was insanely competitive with Marciano and Walcott. He would have easily defeated the guys that came afterwards, like Patterson and Johanssen. Would have possibly outboxed Liston, Frazier and yes, even Iron Mike. Would have given Holyfield absolute hell.

As a light heavyweight - quite simply the best Light-heavyweight who ever stepped into a boxing ring, at any time, against anyone. Ever. Period.
    Last edited by X; 12-06-2019 at 06:40 PM.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Thread Information