Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  20
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 48

Thread: Why I’m hard on Loma, fair or foul?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    58,631
    Mentioned
    517 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2987
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Why I’m hard on Loma, fair or foul?

    Could Teofilo Stevenson or Felix Savon have immediately gotten GIGANTIC fights vs Ali/Holmes/Tyson?


    Hmmmm
    "Drown in a vat of whiskey.....death where is thy sting?" - W.C. Fields.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,975
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    378
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Why I’m hard on Loma, fair or foul?

    Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Could Teofilo Stevenson or Felix Savon have immediately gotten GIGANTIC fights vs Ali/Holmes/Tyson?


    Hmmmm
    Those fighters were all great. No way would Loma have been able to step up to fighters of that caliber on his second fight. Salido was a rough and experienced fighter, but not the most skillful.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    This Lunatic Asylum
    Posts
    22,964
    Mentioned
    402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2824
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Why I’m hard on Loma, fair or foul?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Loma from the get go was about instant super stardom and all the rewards from fighter to promoter that came with it. I don't see this particular racism angle in regards to Crawford v Loma. Honestly I wasn't fond of Loma and the microwave type push he had rolled out to him based on Amatuer and Gold medal accolades from the beginning. It was surreal to see a guy handed a title shot as headliner on HBO in only his second 'pro' fight. He was HBO ppv in debut. I remember De La Hoya making his post Gold medal debut as some 6 rounder v the guy running the beer stand at the Great Western Forum. But honestly and with respect to some ok'ish guys over his first year..you could have skipped them all and gone 1-0 right into his 1st trinket too. It's padding as much as it's a normal mostly excepted process for a fighter of high caliber to showcase..market..grow seats and fans before having it handed a trinket on a silver platter. The learning craft and honing skills feels secondary for some early on. No sane individual can deny Lomas skill and he is very much a pleasure to watch aside from some clowning and mocking from time to time. But rarely if ever has a fighter been given the opportunities, for the sake of a promoter too, that he has been given. Every record in history can be torn apart but truth be told aside from Walters and Russell Jr, Linares on the rebound just to get ko'd next, where were these fresh undefeated top division threats he vanquished. Rigo again two divisions is two divisions. Feel the same way about it as with Mikey up for Spence, Brook up for GGG so on and so forth. I don't mind Loma at all but make no mistake right now he and Arum more so are about collecting trinkets, not being involved in super fights.
    Loma's had it "handed on a platter?" If what he's done is so "easy" why haven't others done it? Why waste their time with all the training camps and obligations whilst receiving peanuts when they can jump in the deep end? He's not half the star in America guys like Oscar was when he turned pro. There are literally dozens of American fighters who could CHOOSE Loma's path and get the same TREATMENT from Bob, Eddie, Al, Oscar, any top promoter.

    You'd prefer Loma had "earned" a title shot by having 15-20 fights against the guy who runs the beer stand? Then maybe a championship rated fighter or two - like Ramirez - before the alphabet org allowed him the honour of paying for a shot?

    He didn't bypass "learning the craft and honing skills" against club fighters because he was "handed it on a silver platter," the risk/gamble paid off. He proved to be the real deal, not just an outstanding amateur.

    Robeisy Ramirez? Heard of him? Two-time olympic gold medalist? Massive bidding war between promoters to sign him, went with Bob. Last month he got knocked down 30 seconds into his debut and lost the fight against a 4-2-2 hotdog seller.
    Yes handed on a platter. The immediate championship opportunity that is. I didn't say easy, not his opposition not his dedication...but the professional doors afforded and maybe I'm thick..ok I'll spot you that one.. but I don't think their are dozens that could simply dictate demands for roll out multi title shots as they please. Let alone be literally promised a title fight by a 2nd pro start. Even if you lose, you'll get matched for it again right away v a guy not even ranked by say the Ring. What fighter doesn't have risk/reward. And it paid off on the second try. Loma was fortunate to have outside guarantees from the fat cats. He is the exception..in skill as well as his professional start.

    Yeh maybe I'm old fashion but I like a guy to build up. Not talking 20-30 gimmes but what is so wrong with a guy regardless of stature actually being required to have a few fights where the lights are a little less blinding. Loma in a way is a representation of our want for immediate gratification and how the sport has changed exposure and media wise. Beer vendors have to work to. Journeymen and contenders have to eat too. Guys like Narciso Valenzuela have to make money grubbers like Bob Arum choke on those hot dogs for a split second when they drop Oscar on his arse. And fans of every ilk want to see the next coming. Oscar may have been huge coming out but guys then didn't have the easy amatuer fan following and point and click of today. Fans would have called foul if an Oscar would have been allowed to jump right into a title. Shat you can't even get fans to find a consensus on what actually constitutes a 'pro' fight vs an amatuer bout today. But I get it..times change and honestly man I'm not hating on the individual or faulting the man for maximizing advantages and shooting for history. Jebus the last thing I want is to defend trinket syndicates or fooking Oscar types but yeh if you're whole thing is covering yourself in those same trinkets like a gawdy Christmas tree than why shouldn't one be expected to get in line. What I want from a guy many are calling an all time great ffs are career defining fights. More so for fans, a super fight but as of late Arum looks content of some big showcases where Loma as expected will dazzle.
    Pete Rademacher? 1956 USA Gold medalist. On his debut fought Floyd Patterson for THE world championship (the days of ONE champion). Teofilo Stevenson and Felix Savon, offered absolute fortunes, tens of millions, to fight Ali and Tyson on debut. These guys were much more famous than Loma.

    I don't think your view is old school, it represents the modern model created by multiple alphabets. Every org with their own ratings. There's no set method to getting a title shot, never has been. You don't get what you "deserve," you get what you negotiate. And fighters have a say in their matches, they're not forced into facing the hotdog seller or "world" champion.

    If Loma represents "modern-day gratification," and what he's achieved isn't unique, we'll be seeing plenty of fighters emulating him - 14 championship level fights in a row. Fantastic.
    Last edited by Fenster; 09-06-2019 at 10:02 AM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    9,318
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    657
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Why I’m hard on Loma, fair or foul?

    Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Not a fan of Tim Bradley on the commentary..how dare he not know which Fury was fighting Povetkin?!

    Hughie is future PPV.
    Id go as far as saying Bradley is fuckin shit at commentary and espn should really look for someone else otherwise people are gonna switch off

    Ward wasn't much better either, almost as boring as his fights
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    56,969
    Mentioned
    1464 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2706
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Why I’m hard on Loma, fair or foul?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Loma from the get go was about instant super stardom and all the rewards from fighter to promoter that came with it. I don't see this particular racism angle in regards to Crawford v Loma. Honestly I wasn't fond of Loma and the microwave type push he had rolled out to him based on Amatuer and Gold medal accolades from the beginning. It was surreal to see a guy handed a title shot as headliner on HBO in only his second 'pro' fight. He was HBO ppv in debut. I remember De La Hoya making his post Gold medal debut as some 6 rounder v the guy running the beer stand at the Great Western Forum. But honestly and with respect to some ok'ish guys over his first year..you could have skipped them all and gone 1-0 right into his 1st trinket too. It's padding as much as it's a normal mostly excepted process for a fighter of high caliber to showcase..market..grow seats and fans before having it handed a trinket on a silver platter. The learning craft and honing skills feels secondary for some early on. No sane individual can deny Lomas skill and he is very much a pleasure to watch aside from some clowning and mocking from time to time. But rarely if ever has a fighter been given the opportunities, for the sake of a promoter too, that he has been given. Every record in history can be torn apart but truth be told aside from Walters and Russell Jr, Linares on the rebound just to get ko'd next, where were these fresh undefeated top division threats he vanquished. Rigo again two divisions is two divisions. Feel the same way about it as with Mikey up for Spence, Brook up for GGG so on and so forth. I don't mind Loma at all but make no mistake right now he and Arum more so are about collecting trinkets, not being involved in super fights.
    Loma's had it "handed on a platter?" If what he's done is so "easy" why haven't others done it? Why waste their time with all the training camps and obligations whilst receiving peanuts when they can jump in the deep end? He's not half the star in America guys like Oscar was when he turned pro. There are literally dozens of American fighters who could CHOOSE Loma's path and get the same TREATMENT from Bob, Eddie, Al, Oscar, any top promoter.

    You'd prefer Loma had "earned" a title shot by having 15-20 fights against the guy who runs the beer stand? Then maybe a championship rated fighter or two - like Ramirez - before the alphabet org allowed him the honour of paying for a shot?

    He didn't bypass "learning the craft and honing skills" against club fighters because he was "handed it on a silver platter," the risk/gamble paid off. He proved to be the real deal, not just an outstanding amateur.

    Robeisy Ramirez? Heard of him? Two-time olympic gold medalist? Massive bidding war between promoters to sign him, went with Bob. Last month he got knocked down 30 seconds into his debut and lost the fight against a 4-2-2 hotdog seller.
    Yes handed on a platter. The immediate championship opportunity that is. I didn't say easy, not his opposition not his dedication...but the professional doors afforded and maybe I'm thick..ok I'll spot you that one.. but I don't think their are dozens that could simply dictate demands for roll out multi title shots as they please. Let alone be literally promised a title fight by a 2nd pro start. Even if you lose, you'll get matched for it again right away v a guy not even ranked by say the Ring. What fighter doesn't have risk/reward. And it paid off on the second try. Loma was fortunate to have outside guarantees from the fat cats. He is the exception..in skill as well as his professional start.

    Yeh maybe I'm old fashion but I like a guy to build up. Not talking 20-30 gimmes but what is so wrong with a guy regardless of stature actually being required to have a few fights where the lights are a little less blinding. Loma in a way is a representation of our want for immediate gratification and how the sport has changed exposure and media wise. Beer vendors have to work to. Journeymen and contenders have to eat too. Guys like Narciso Valenzuela have to make money grubbers like Bob Arum choke on those hot dogs for a split second when they drop Oscar on his arse. And fans of every ilk want to see the next coming. Oscar may have been huge coming out but guys then didn't have the easy amatuer fan following and point and click of today. Fans would have called foul if an Oscar would have been allowed to jump right into a title. Shat you can't even get fans to find a consensus on what actually constitutes a 'pro' fight vs an amatuer bout today. But I get it..times change and honestly man I'm not hating on the individual or faulting the man for maximizing advantages and shooting for history. Jebus the last thing I want is to defend trinket syndicates or fooking Oscar types but yeh if you're whole thing is covering yourself in those same trinkets like a gawdy Christmas tree than why shouldn't one be expected to get in line. What I want from a guy many are calling an all time great ffs are career defining fights. More so for fans, a super fight but as of late Arum looks content of some big showcases where Loma as expected will dazzle.
    Pete Rademacher? 1956 USA Gold medalist. On his debut fought Floyd Patterson for THE world championship (the days of ONE champion). Teofilo Stevenson and Felix Savon, offered absolute fortunes, tens of millions, to fight Ali and Tyson on debut. These guys were much more famous than Loma.

    I don't think your view is old school, it represents the modern model created by multiple alphabets. Every org with their own ratings. There's no set method to getting a title shot, never has been. You don't get what you "deserve," you get what you negotiate. And fighters have a say in their matches, they're not forced into facing the hotdog seller or "world" champion.

    If Loma represents "modern-day gratification," and what he's achieved isn't unique, we'll be seeing plenty of fighters emulating him - 14 championship level fights in a row. Fantastic.
    100% agreed, Loma himself did not want easy fights to pad his record he wanted to go straight for titles. It would be a waste of time watching Loma beat up club fighters.

    Loma is a marvel.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    This Lunatic Asylum
    Posts
    22,964
    Mentioned
    402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2824
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Why I’m hard on Loma, fair or foul?

    100% agree with me? Are you ill? If not, you're gonna be fuming when you find out your kids have hacked your account. ()
    Last edited by Fenster; 09-06-2019 at 11:56 AM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    20,485
    Mentioned
    443 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1642
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Why I’m hard on Loma, fair or foul?

    @Master , Fenster's actually giddy you agree 100% with him. It's just a little awkward for him to admit it, since he's only used to people disagreeing with him. (That's what I'm here for).

    In fact, Loma is one of those topics.

    Not that it's really an arguable topic, since it really boils down to personal preference. Personally, I prefer the old style way of working your way up to a title shot. Not taxi cab drivers and Tijuana bartenders mind you. We're already had a redhead and a melon-head who've gone that route. No.... I mean a methodical route to a championship fight, with anywhere from 10-20 fights under your belt against constantly improving opposition.

    It's arguable that Loma isn't the ONLY fighter in world boxing history with the initial talent to have merited a shot very close to the beginning of their pro boxing career. I refuse to adhere to the notion that Loma is several levels above any other fighter that ever lived. He's a special talent, to be sure. He also benefited from a long illustrious amateur career. How he got the title shot right out of the gate is beyond me. Promotion, string-pulling, bribes.... whatever. Most of us are not privy to the goings on behind the boxing scenes.

    Still... there's something special about a prospect accumulating ever-increasing scalps on his resume until he finally gets his big shot.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On the levee
    Posts
    38,771
    Mentioned
    336 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    4725
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Why I’m hard on Loma, fair or foul?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Loma from the get go was about instant super stardom and all the rewards from fighter to promoter that came with it. I don't see this particular racism angle in regards to Crawford v Loma. Honestly I wasn't fond of Loma and the microwave type push he had rolled out to him based on Amatuer and Gold medal accolades from the beginning. It was surreal to see a guy handed a title shot as headliner on HBO in only his second 'pro' fight. He was HBO ppv in debut. I remember De La Hoya making his post Gold medal debut as some 6 rounder v the guy running the beer stand at the Great Western Forum. But honestly and with respect to some ok'ish guys over his first year..you could have skipped them all and gone 1-0 right into his 1st trinket too. It's padding as much as it's a normal mostly excepted process for a fighter of high caliber to showcase..market..grow seats and fans before having it handed a trinket on a silver platter. The learning craft and honing skills feels secondary for some early on. No sane individual can deny Lomas skill and he is very much a pleasure to watch aside from some clowning and mocking from time to time. But rarely if ever has a fighter been given the opportunities, for the sake of a promoter too, that he has been given. Every record in history can be torn apart but truth be told aside from Walters and Russell Jr, Linares on the rebound just to get ko'd next, where were these fresh undefeated top division threats he vanquished. Rigo again two divisions is two divisions. Feel the same way about it as with Mikey up for Spence, Brook up for GGG so on and so forth. I don't mind Loma at all but make no mistake right now he and Arum more so are about collecting trinkets, not being involved in super fights.
    Loma's had it "handed on a platter?" If what he's done is so "easy" why haven't others done it? Why waste their time with all the training camps and obligations whilst receiving peanuts when they can jump in the deep end? He's not half the star in America guys like Oscar was when he turned pro. There are literally dozens of American fighters who could CHOOSE Loma's path and get the same TREATMENT from Bob, Eddie, Al, Oscar, any top promoter.

    You'd prefer Loma had "earned" a title shot by having 15-20 fights against the guy who runs the beer stand? Then maybe a championship rated fighter or two - like Ramirez - before the alphabet org allowed him the honour of paying for a shot?

    He didn't bypass "learning the craft and honing skills" against club fighters because he was "handed it on a silver platter," the risk/gamble paid off. He proved to be the real deal, not just an outstanding amateur.

    Robeisy Ramirez? Heard of him? Two-time olympic gold medalist? Massive bidding war between promoters to sign him, went with Bob. Last month he got knocked down 30 seconds into his debut and lost the fight against a 4-2-2 hotdog seller.
    Yes handed on a platter. The immediate championship opportunity that is. I didn't say easy, not his opposition not his dedication...but the professional doors afforded and maybe I'm thick..ok I'll spot you that one.. but I don't think their are dozens that could simply dictate demands for roll out multi title shots as they please. Let alone be literally promised a title fight by a 2nd pro start. Even if you lose, you'll get matched for it again right away v a guy not even ranked by say the Ring. What fighter doesn't have risk/reward. And it paid off on the second try. Loma was fortunate to have outside guarantees from the fat cats. He is the exception..in skill as well as his professional start.

    Yeh maybe I'm old fashion but I like a guy to build up. Not talking 20-30 gimmes but what is so wrong with a guy regardless of stature actually being required to have a few fights where the lights are a little less blinding. Loma in a way is a representation of our want for immediate gratification and how the sport has changed exposure and media wise. Beer vendors have to work to. Journeymen and contenders have to eat too. Guys like Narciso Valenzuela have to make money grubbers like Bob Arum choke on those hot dogs for a split second when they drop Oscar on his arse. And fans of every ilk want to see the next coming. Oscar may have been huge coming out but guys then didn't have the easy amatuer fan following and point and click of today. Fans would have called foul if an Oscar would have been allowed to jump right into a title. Shat you can't even get fans to find a consensus on what actually constitutes a 'pro' fight vs an amatuer bout today. But I get it..times change and honestly man I'm not hating on the individual or faulting the man for maximizing advantages and shooting for history. Jebus the last thing I want is to defend trinket syndicates or fooking Oscar types but yeh if you're whole thing is covering yourself in those same trinkets like a gawdy Christmas tree than why shouldn't one be expected to get in line. What I want from a guy many are calling an all time great ffs are career defining fights. More so for fans, a super fight but as of late Arum looks content of some big showcases where Loma as expected will dazzle.
    Pete Rademacher? 1956 USA Gold medalist. On his debut fought Floyd Patterson for THE world championship (the days of ONE champion). Teofilo Stevenson and Felix Savon, offered absolute fortunes, tens of millions, to fight Ali and Tyson on debut. These guys were much more famous than Loma.

    I don't think your view is old school, it represents the modern model created by multiple alphabets. Every org with their own ratings. There's no set method to getting a title shot, never has been. You don't get what you "deserve," you get what you negotiate. And fighters have a say in their matches, they're not forced into facing the hotdog seller or "world" champion.

    If Loma represents "modern-day gratification," and what he's achieved isn't unique, we'll be seeing plenty of fighters emulating him - 14 championship level fights in a row. Fantastic.
    Rademacher come on now that's a stretch. He had to scrap up financial backing from friends, grant rights to Cus and still ended up in the red in that one. The match was widely dismissed as the eventual mismatch it turned into.

    True enough, Stevenson and Savon had offers from both Arum and King because well that's what promoters do but in all reality those propositions were dead on arrival. They had no want for it and both amatuer stars were in no position to negotiate anything professional in Castros Cuba unless turning back on Country, fame and family was an option. Also Arum from what I understand wanted a series of Stevenson exhibitions for a rapidly declining Ali ', 3 rounders. Stevenson wins all that money and he would have kept none of it directly. I remember some mumbles of Savon and Tyson in mid 90's with the future up in the air for Mike who was fresh out of the clink. Speaking for myself it was respectfully laughable with major players..actual professionals like Holyfield, Bowe, Lewis, Moorer etc there.

    No I do think Loma is unique. In talent as well as ,again, early opportunities presented. It's not about the ranking bodies as the only rankings mentioned were The Ring. By my count Loma didn't start defeating those until going to second title run. This is all going backwards and Loma is where he is and as stated is special. But I simply do not believe amatuer stars, partial pro-amatuer phenoms, should bypass established professionals..be they fringe who get maybe 1 single shot in a career or be they legitimate long time contenders who have done the rounds and years and done the time for a major career defining opportunity. Sport is bigger than 20-40 'stars' greedy promoters trip over themselves fawning over.
    Last edited by Spicoli; 09-07-2019 at 10:11 PM.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On the levee
    Posts
    38,771
    Mentioned
    336 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    4725
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Why I’m hard on Loma, fair or foul?

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Loma from the get go was about instant super stardom and all the rewards from fighter to promoter that came with it. I don't see this particular racism angle in regards to Crawford v Loma. Honestly I wasn't fond of Loma and the microwave type push he had rolled out to him based on Amatuer and Gold medal accolades from the beginning. It was surreal to see a guy handed a title shot as headliner on HBO in only his second 'pro' fight. He was HBO ppv in debut. I remember De La Hoya making his post Gold medal debut as some 6 rounder v the guy running the beer stand at the Great Western Forum. But honestly and with respect to some ok'ish guys over his first year..you could have skipped them all and gone 1-0 right into his 1st trinket too. It's padding as much as it's a normal mostly excepted process for a fighter of high caliber to showcase..market..grow seats and fans before having it handed a trinket on a silver platter. The learning craft and honing skills feels secondary for some early on. No sane individual can deny Lomas skill and he is very much a pleasure to watch aside from some clowning and mocking from time to time. But rarely if ever has a fighter been given the opportunities, for the sake of a promoter too, that he has been given. Every record in history can be torn apart but truth be told aside from Walters and Russell Jr, Linares on the rebound just to get ko'd next, where were these fresh undefeated top division threats he vanquished. Rigo again two divisions is two divisions. Feel the same way about it as with Mikey up for Spence, Brook up for GGG so on and so forth. I don't mind Loma at all but make no mistake right now he and Arum more so are about collecting trinkets, not being involved in super fights.
    Loma's had it "handed on a platter?" If what he's done is so "easy" why haven't others done it? Why waste their time with all the training camps and obligations whilst receiving peanuts when they can jump in the deep end? He's not half the star in America guys like Oscar was when he turned pro. There are literally dozens of American fighters who could CHOOSE Loma's path and get the same TREATMENT from Bob, Eddie, Al, Oscar, any top promoter.

    You'd prefer Loma had "earned" a title shot by having 15-20 fights against the guy who runs the beer stand? Then maybe a championship rated fighter or two - like Ramirez - before the alphabet org allowed him the honour of paying for a shot?

    He didn't bypass "learning the craft and honing skills" against club fighters because he was "handed it on a silver platter," the risk/gamble paid off. He proved to be the real deal, not just an outstanding amateur.

    Robeisy Ramirez? Heard of him? Two-time olympic gold medalist? Massive bidding war between promoters to sign him, went with Bob. Last month he got knocked down 30 seconds into his debut and lost the fight against a 4-2-2 hotdog seller.
    Yes handed on a platter. The immediate championship opportunity that is. I didn't say easy, not his opposition not his dedication...but the professional doors afforded and maybe I'm thick..ok I'll spot you that one.. but I don't think their are dozens that could simply dictate demands for roll out multi title shots as they please. Let alone be literally promised a title fight by a 2nd pro start. Even if you lose, you'll get matched for it again right away v a guy not even ranked by say the Ring. What fighter doesn't have risk/reward. And it paid off on the second try. Loma was fortunate to have outside guarantees from the fat cats. He is the exception..in skill as well as his professional start.

    Yeh maybe I'm old fashion but I like a guy to build up. Not talking 20-30 gimmes but what is so wrong with a guy regardless of stature actually being required to have a few fights where the lights are a little less blinding. Loma in a way is a representation of our want for immediate gratification and how the sport has changed exposure and media wise. Beer vendors have to work to. Journeymen and contenders have to eat too. Guys like Narciso Valenzuela have to make money grubbers like Bob Arum choke on those hot dogs for a split second when they drop Oscar on his arse. And fans of every ilk want to see the next coming. Oscar may have been huge coming out but guys then didn't have the easy amatuer fan following and point and click of today. Fans would have called foul if an Oscar would have been allowed to jump right into a title. Shat you can't even get fans to find a consensus on what actually constitutes a 'pro' fight vs an amatuer bout today. But I get it..times change and honestly man I'm not hating on the individual or faulting the man for maximizing advantages and shooting for history. Jebus the last thing I want is to defend trinket syndicates or fooking Oscar types but yeh if you're whole thing is covering yourself in those same trinkets like a gawdy Christmas tree than why shouldn't one be expected to get in line. What I want from a guy many are calling an all time great ffs are career defining fights. More so for fans, a super fight but as of late Arum looks content of some big showcases where Loma as expected will dazzle.
    Pete Rademacher? 1956 USA Gold medalist. On his debut fought Floyd Patterson for THE world championship (the days of ONE champion). Teofilo Stevenson and Felix Savon, offered absolute fortunes, tens of millions, to fight Ali and Tyson on debut. These guys were much more famous than Loma.

    I don't think your view is old school, it represents the modern model created by multiple alphabets. Every org with their own ratings. There's no set method to getting a title shot, never has been. You don't get what you "deserve," you get what you negotiate. And fighters have a say in their matches, they're not forced into facing the hotdog seller or "world" champion.

    If Loma represents "modern-day gratification," and what he's achieved isn't unique, we'll be seeing plenty of fighters emulating him - 14 championship level fights in a row. Fantastic.
    100% agreed, Loma himself did not want easy fights to pad his record he wanted to go straight for titles. It would be a waste of time watching Loma beat up club fighters.

    Loma is a marvel.
    See. Alwaaaaays knew you mod wankers were in some sort of reach around gang

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    This Lunatic Asylum
    Posts
    22,964
    Mentioned
    402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2824
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Why I’m hard on Loma, fair or foul?

    It's very simple why Loma got an alphabet shot in his second fight, there's nothing "shady," no conspiracy, it's how every single fight is made between fighters, promoters and governing body.

    Promoters/managers canvass alphabet organisations on behalf of their fighters. The higher profile, the more the org is interested, as the dough they receive (sanction fees) is bigger and the publicity and promotion propels their business .

    Loma asked his promoter, Bob, to get a title fight, the WBO and Nevada commission agreed he's safe and competent to challenge no.7 contender Ramirez, he accepted. Loma destroyed him, therefore proving to the WBO he was a worthy challenger for their champion. Salido accepted the challege. The Texas commission approved it. TV company bought it. Worldwide TV bought it. And everyone made a little coin.

    If you don't accept that's the norm, feel free to explain how anyone "deserves" a shot at an alphabet?
    Last edited by Fenster; 09-08-2019 at 01:23 PM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,975
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    378
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Why I’m hard on Loma, fair or foul?

    I can see both sides, but I lean more on the side of waiting for a title shot. The reason why is that there are many other fighters who have been fighting professionally for 5+ years and built their way up to it. It’s unfair to just skip them all.

    Another thing is that once you become a star, you start to be able to call the shots. As a fighter, you should have to get through at least 10 guys in order to earn that right.

    You can claim that Loma was on that level, but there will always be fringe contenders that give up and comers tough fights. For example, Salido was more known as a fringe contender but through a lot of grit, he won a belt. He could have easily remained a fringe contender. Imagine Loma still fought Salido but Salido didn’t have a belt. Now the story changes. It isn’t that he fought for a title on his second fight but came up short. The story now is that he stepped up a little too soon and needs a few more tune up fights before he fights for a title.

    My point is that all fighters should go through a period where they have to fight contenders. I don’t think it’s fair that Loma got to skip all of those contenders that are fighting for their lives to get that shot at the title. There is no guarantee that he would have come out without a loss. Maybe he wouldn’t have, but we should have been able to see how it would have played out.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    56,969
    Mentioned
    1464 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2706
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Why I’m hard on Loma, fair or foul?

    10 fights!!!!

    Powerpuncher would you be happy to see Loma beat up 10 fighters in 10 months to satisfy your critera?

    Loma does not have age on his side, just give him a shot which he rightfully earned.

    Loma is not a spoilt child or diva. He even lost the close decision.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,975
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    378
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Why I’m hard on Loma, fair or foul?

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    10 fights!!!!

    Powerpuncher would you be happy to see Loma beat up 10 fighters in 10 months to satisfy your critera?

    Loma does not have age on his side, just give him a shot which he rightfully earned.

    Loma is not a spoilt child or diva. He even lost the close decision.
    So if he fought Salido and lost and Salido wasn’t champion at the time, would that change your opinion? Should he have just leap frogged other people after his loss?

    There are tons of people to fight that are good and that aren’t title holders. Again, there is a chance that he could have lost to a non title holder. Every fighter needs more than one fight to prove that they can beat multiple top contenders before they get a title shot.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    56,969
    Mentioned
    1464 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2706
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Why I’m hard on Loma, fair or foul?

    Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    10 fights!!!!

    Powerpuncher would you be happy to see Loma beat up 10 fighters in 10 months to satisfy your critera?

    Loma does not have age on his side, just give him a shot which he rightfully earned.

    Loma is not a spoilt child or diva. He even lost the close decision.
    So if he fought Salido and lost and Salido wasn’t champion at the time, would that change your opinion? Should he have just leap frogged other people after his loss?

    There are tons of people to fight that are good and that aren’t title holders. Again, there is a chance that he could have lost to a non title holder. Every fighter needs more than one fight to prove that they can beat multiple top contenders before they get a title shot.
    Yes but 10? You can not stipulate a number on a fighter. Each fighter is different and Loma is unique.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,975
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    378
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Why I’m hard on Loma, fair or foul?

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    10 fights!!!!

    Powerpuncher would you be happy to see Loma beat up 10 fighters in 10 months to satisfy your critera?

    Loma does not have age on his side, just give him a shot which he rightfully earned.

    Loma is not a spoilt child or diva. He even lost the close decision.
    So if he fought Salido and lost and Salido wasn’t champion at the time, would that change your opinion? Should he have just leap frogged other people after his loss?

    There are tons of people to fight that are good and that aren’t title holders. Again, there is a chance that he could have lost to a non title holder. Every fighter needs more than one fight to prove that they can beat multiple top contenders before they get a title shot.
    Yes but 10? You can not stipulate a number on a fighter. Each fighter is different and Loma is unique.
    10 or so. Whatever. He beats one contender and then we know he deserves to have a shot at the title? I mean 10 is just a number I threw out, but it has to be more than 1. It could have just been a perfect match up. Who knows? You need to prove that you can beat multiple top ten contenders before fighting for the belt

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-23-2016, 01:50 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-14-2012, 05:42 PM
  3. Hopkins vs Dawson NO FOUL?!
    By outspoken in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 10-18-2011, 04:31 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-23-2011, 11:11 AM
  5. Replies: 56
    Last Post: 01-11-2007, 07:00 AM

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2019 Saddo Boxing - Boxing