Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  20
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I’m hard on Loma, fair or foul?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Why I’m hard on Loma, fair or foul?

I enjoy seeing greatness. I like seeing dynasties. Pick a sport, when someone is doing what hasn’t been done, I’m interested. Motocross, I watched Ricky Carmichael, don’t even really care about Motocross. F1 I watched Michael Schumacher, don’t even really care about F1. But at those times I cared. Sport to sport to sport greatness is interesting. But boxing, it’s my sport. I always care about it all. The most exhilarating is upsets of course but top guys can’t get upsets because top guys are favorites. And this is why I am hard on Loma...

I think he is great, the question is how great. Aggressive fighters are always overrated compared to defensive fighters. Pac-Man was going to destroy Mayweather because offensive fighters look better against inferior competition. But that isn’t how it really is. Tyson was unbeatable, except no.

In the end greatness is judged on what you do. Not fake accomplishments like fastest to, but real accomplishment like SRL beating Hearns. Not people saying you are... but proving you are... And my issue is this...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QZXZQfy-ln0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IpO_hVmzePc

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=14Ctt9DWjQo

And so on.

Greatest ever should not be a debate, yet. Top now? If he beats the Commey/Lopez winner to unify he will still be behind Crawford since Crawford already did everything he is trying to do and without losing to a journeyman. But I don’t even say he can’t be the best ever, or say he can’t pass Crawford. My thing is only that there is more to do to do it. I want to see him unify, I want to see him fight Tank, fight Garcia, fight Berchelt. Depending on the order I may root for him in all these fights because my desire to see greatness will take over.

My thing is that I don’t like seeing it said BEFORE HE HAS PROVEN IT.

Fair or foul?

(FTR I don’t ask to grandstand. I ask because I’m willing to accept I get things wrong. Lord knows I never imagined a scumbag like Trump could be POTUS. And the board is slow so...)

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why I’m hard on Loma, fair or foul?

Agree. Gotta be fair, Crawford isn’t the only one I would put above him either. Inoue, Canelo?
    P4p is a meaningless crock of shit. I love watching Loma box, but he spent most of his career in the amateurs, so to achieve what others have in the professional ranks, he will ALWAYS be playing catch up.
    People love to put guys on a pedestal, only to shoot them down.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

El Kabong Guest

Lomachenko's issue is that there's nobody as special as he is around for him to fight. In his 14 pro fights he has fought: Rigondeaux, Linares, Nicholas Walters, Gary Russell Jr. and he's beaten them pretty good, kinda cut it close with Russell Jr.

I think the fights that have to be made are either Gervonta Davis steps up to Lightweight which he's only 24 he hasn't done it ALL at super featherweight just yet (so maybe HE wants to take his time getting to Loma) or Loma is going to have to bulk up and get to welterweight and lord knows how he'd do there with the extra weight. He's a talented enough boxer, but timing, opponents, those are seemingly working against him at present.

I wouldn't put Lomachenko at outright #1 but he has been a very impressive fighter as a pro. I think Bud Crawford (and Errol Spence for that matter) deserves a shot vs Pac or Floyd and he should remain focused on those 2. Canelo as P4P? Please dude he's a Golden Boy protected asset he's been gifted decisions vs GGG and he's been popped for PEDs as well.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I say you are being too harsh on Loma.

In the short space of time he has achieved more than most fighters, fought top competition and is winning very impressively.

Crawford has done the same by winning at 3 weights but I do not rate him as the best welterweight.

Loma is a joy to watch and a marvel at the art of boxing. He is very special and should be appreciated. I think he is undersized at lightweight and fighting bigger men which makes his achievements even better.

Give the man a chance.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

In the short space of time he has achieved more than most fighters, fought top competition and is winning very impressively.

Crawford has done the same by winning at 3 weights but I do not rate him as the best welterweight.

Loma is a joy to watch and a marvel at the art of boxing. He is very special and should be appreciated. I think he is undersized at lightweight and fighting bigger men which makes his achievements even better.

Give the man a chance.
    Sometimes there’s a common link.

Some hate Mayweather (Master) so would jump at the chance to put anyone above him.

El kabong made some valid points about the Loma division etc.

I like Loma and put him above a drugs cheat like Canelo...Canelo is a great fighter but put a special top tier Boxer against him he gets outboxed as already proved when a out of prime, old Mayweather beat him him 11 rounds to 1.

Loma has superb footwork and can use his skills to nullify long reach and weight against him and I like his style..it’s refreshing and dangerous.

He is also a southpaw which is another advantage against everyone else..I see Loma and Crawford as the top fighters today and if Crawford beats Spence and unfifys the 147 division then I would want to see Loma beating Tank, Haney and Lopez by close of 2020.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

(Space of time is irrelevant, only matters what you do)

(You can’t knock a guy down P4P because he moves to a strong division, that’s ass backwards)

(Undersized is another fallacy like time used to prop him up. He fought at lightweight as an amateur, he’s a lightweight. He fought as a lightweight as a professional in World Boxing Series before “turning professional”, he’s a lightweight. He weighed 144.5 at his 30 day weigh in, he’s a lightweight)

Give the man a chance.
    I am giving him a chance. What I’m not doing is giving him credit for what he hasn’t done yet.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don’t fault fans for putting Loma at #1, but I do think that there is pressure sometimes. He is one of the fighters who has been pushed from day 1. I have always had Crawford over Loma. Loma is #2, but I don’t think that Usyk or Inoue are far behind.

El Kabong Guest

I want to see more of Usyk at heavyweight. Usyk vs AJ-Ruiz 2 winner would be mint

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    I don’t fault fans for putting Loma at #1, but I do think that there is pressure sometimes. He is one of the fighters who has been pushed from day 1. I have always had Crawford over Loma. Loma is #2, but I don’t think that Usyk or Inoue are far behind.
    I don’t mind if they say “I just think he’s better”. It’s when fake things like quicker, or he’s small get elevated. He’s the same age as Crawford, he fought for his first title and lost the same exact day. Quicker from when a person turned pro is as fake as an accomplishment can be. He has a good shot of becoming number 1, earning it, let him earn it.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What Loma's achieved in 15 fights is unprecedented. 15 fights at championship level. One reason some "genuine" fans don't appreciate Loma is they're so used to seeing "padded" records. 35-0 looks more impressive that 14-1... until you look under the bonnet.

Lets start by comparing Crawford's first 15 fights with Loma's? It is laughable. Crawford had 15 fights against club fighters/"bums" (which is the norm). 19 fights before his first 10-rounder. 22 before his first "world" title shot.

If Crawford had Loma's schedule when he started, he'd have fought Nate Campbell for the WBO title in his 2nd fight, Juan Guzman in his 3rd, Edwin Valero in his 8th and Juan Manuel Marquez in his 11th or 12th. I kid you not.

Crawford has faced 7 former "world" champs in 12 years.
    Loma has faced 9 former "world" champs in 6 years.

Crawford's light-welter unification - Dulorme (WBO), Postol (WBC), Indongo (IBF/WBA).
    Loma's lightweight unification - Linares (WBA), Pedraza (WBO), Campbell (WBC) ..... *And either Commey/Lopez (IBF).*

Crawford is a great fighter, HOFamer, however, even without the "eye test," there's no comparison between the two. Loma is special level talent. (now I read a thousand accusations of "liar" and "dickrider" and "KKK member" )
    Last edited by Fenster; 09-04-2019 at 10:21 AM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dickrider

Problem with Loma is I'm bored of people bumming him, I'd have enjoyed the fight on Saturday night if it wasn't for Timothy Bradley's excessive bumming
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Dickrider

Problem with Loma is I'm bored of people bumming him, I'd have enjoyed the fight on Saturday night if it wasn't for Timothy Bradley's excessive bumming
    You know the trouble with you is that you do not appreciate quality boxing of the highest order if it punched you in the face and knocked you out.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dickrider

You know the trouble with you is that you do not appreciate quality boxing of the highest order if it punched you in the face and knocked you out.
    No I do, I just don't appricate constant bumming, Loma can throw no punches in a round and he the best technician in history and his footwork is amazing and he's so sexy, and he won 396 fights and lost 1 which he avenged twice and he won all loads of belts in just 12 fights, best ever

Get a grip Bradley, he hasn't thrown a punch for the last 3 minutes you balloon, mention that, or the fact that he just lost the first 3 rounds clearly

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dickrider

No I do, I just don't appricate constant bumming, Loma can throw no punches in a round and he the best technician in history and his footwork is amazing and he's so sexy, and he won 396 fights and lost 1 which he avenged twice and he won all loads of belts in just 12 fights, best ever

Get a grip Bradley, he hasn't thrown a punch for the last 3 minutes you balloon, mention that, or the fact that he just lost the first 3 rounds clearly
    Have you heard about Andre Ward not losing a boxing match since he was 12?

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You know what tho they were bumming loma right through the undercard, when buatsi was fighting they rarely talked about the fight, which was actually a reasonably entertaining fight

They just bummed loma all the way through it

Thread Information