Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Joshua v Ruiz 2

Joshua v Ruiz: Fighters meet in Saudi Arabia for first time on press tour

Andy Ruiz Jr said he wants more than "15 minutes of fame" as he faced Anthony Joshua for the first time in the run up to their 7 December rematch.

The unified world heavyweight champion spoke in Saudi Arabia, where the fight will be held despite criticism over the country's human rights record.

Promoter Eddie Hearn said boxing has at times been "narrow minded" over venues.

Ruiz, 29, has faced criticism over a loss of focus since beating Joshua but said he will "prove everybody wrong".

The American - who fights under the Mexican flag - has shared videos and images of his improved lifestyle, including a new mansion and Rolls Royce.

He has also undertaken opportunities with countless talk shows and sponsors but said: "A lot of people are saying I am not training or taking it seriously. There are a lot of responsibilities to this.

"The hunger still remains. I don't want it to be 15 minutes of fame. I want it to last, to be a generation, to be champion for more years.

"I am going to make history and win in the same fashion and the same way I did on 1 June and prove everybody wrong."

Ruiz stopped Joshua in seven rounds in New York in June to land one of the biggest shocks in the history of heavyweight boxing.

Joshua, 29, lost for the first time in his career in New York and simply told those present in Diriyah that he was "humbled" by his welcome in Saudi Arabia and "looking forward to the challenge".

Joshua's trainer, Robert McCracken, said the Briton was "driven now" and "determined" to get the IBF, WBA and WBO titles back.

Manny Robles, trainer of Ruiz, warned he now wanted to "turn the page" after the first shock win and said "there will be changes" to his fighter.

"We know Joshua is a great fighter and will bring it so that is the reason why we need to be at our best," said Robles. "You can expect a better Ruiz - faster, leaner, stronger than the first time around."

The fighters shared words and smiles as they posed for head-to-head photos in Diriyah and will stage further news conferences in New York and London before the weekend.

Staging the event in Saudi Arabia has prompted criticism, with Amnesty International stating the country has an "abysmal human rights record".

In a news conference which featured a laser show and contained praise for the Kingdom from dignitaries, no questions were posed from reporters as Hearn led the questioning from the top table.

Hearn said: "This is such a monumental occasion for our sport. Sometimes our sport is very narrow minded - there is a whole world out there. This is such a monumental opportunity for the sport.

"Some people may think from the outside this was a strange destination. They also said that for the Rumble in the Jungle and Thrilla in Manila. This is an event that will go down in history just like those iconic moments in our sport."

Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman has said he wants to reform the country both in social and economic terms as part of his 'Vision 2030' plan - but he has also been strongly linked with the murder of Saudi journalist and critic Jamal Khashoggi inside Saudi Arabia's consulate in Istanbul.

Social reforms have included lifting the ban on women being able to drive, while high-profile pop stars have been enticed to perform in Saudi Arabia in order to enhance the country's image.

At the news conference, Prince Abdulaziz Al Saud, chairman of the country's General Sports Authority, said: "We want to reflect to the world what Saudi Arabia is and hopefully everyone can come and enjoy this match.

"Anyone who wants to come to Saudi is more than welcome to come and watch. I think it will boost the interest in boxing in general. Boxing is an old sport but relatively new for Saudi Arabia. We would like to open the interest in boxing in the Kingdom, encourage the youth and have an ecosystem around it."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/49586059
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Joshua v Ruiz 2

Buster Ruiz looked like a dude who won a comp to hold Joshua's belts, it was clear in Saudi who the star attraction was.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Someone needs to stick something large and spikey up ajs arse, he talks some shit, all deep and meaningful, sounds like he's trying to convince himself

Id like to hear him tell us he's gonna fuckin rip the cunts head off
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

AJ is irritating me more and more every time I see him

Hope Ruiz is in prime 'shape' come December
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nah having ruiz as champ would be shit

I hope and I'm pretty sure it's just a blip on ajs record and we can get back to having the 3 big name hws who are gonna give us a show or 2

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No - if Ruiz wins again then we have a 'new' top 3
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ruiz will be a one hit wonder and AJ will be back to win the titles.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd give Buster Ruiz a good chance against Fury considering what Fat John Mc did to him back in the day, those were the days, too, Frank Maloney promotions, think at the Elephant and Castle leisure centre (the little swimming pool was fantastic, had that wavy water shit and stuff, until the rats - literally, rodents from the sewer - joined in with us.
    Last edited by Fenster; 09-05-2019 at 01:11 PM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    You might have to eat these words before the close of the year..I will remind you.

Ruiz got dropped, got up and refused to loose..same again next time..

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    You might have to eat these words before the close of the year..I will remind you.

Ruiz got dropped, got up and refused to loose..same again next time..
    I will remind you too.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I only just realised ruiz is the security man where I work

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    I only just realised ruiz is the security man where I work
    Well ask him for a free ticket for the fight then.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's put on a bit of weight mind

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    He's put on a bit of weight mind
    Buy him some more food and cakes. AJ will be happy.

El Kabong Guest

This fight is intriguing based on the upset which happened last time. I mean AJ did look like he was going to cruise for a bit until he got hurt and he just never recovered. I think this fight will probably be a bit more boring, more of a chess match. I doubt after the beating he took that AJ would come in looking to squash Ruiz, BUT in my opinion he should do exactly that because Ruiz wouldn't expect it right out of the gate, Ruiz would probably expect AJ to fight smart. However AJ just throwing caution to the wind plays a little into Ruiz's hands as it'll open him up for counters.

Regardless of weigh in I'm going to say AJ by split decision.....split decision robbery because AJ will get knocked down a few times again, Ruiz might get knocked down once, but he's sturdier. It'll set up a rubber match because why the hell not.

What kind of odds can I get for an AJ split decision win?

Thread Information