Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Joshua v Ruiz 2

Eddie Hearn offers hot air and hype but Joshua punches through the noise

Give Eddie Hearn his due. Not only has the promoter brought the world heavyweight championship to Saudi Arabia, he is also rapidly embracing its culture. In a country ranked 172 out of 180 in the world press freedom index - two places above Syria and seven ahead of North Korea – he did not bother to invite questions from journalists at the final press conference before Anthony Joshua and Andy Ruiz Jr meet in a rematch on Saturday.

Still, Hearn was able to glean a few nuggets by himself. That Ruiz is convinced his opponent will come in lighter and faster, in a bid to dance and entrance for 12 rounds. That Joshua has forewarned his audience that “I am not here to put on a show, I am here to win”. And finally – as every fighter on the bill kept reminding us – that the hospitality of the Saudis has been spectacular.

At one point Joshua even described Diriyah, on the outskirts of the capital Riyadh, as “the real Mecca of boxing”–which will raise eyebrows in Las Vegas to put it mildly. The press conference might have been held in a luxury box overlooking the city’s Formula E track, but there was little chance of Hearn doing a U-turn about coming to the Middle East. In fact the promoter doubled down on his decision, lavishing praise on his hosts as he predicted a “historic” night of boxing.

Addressing his highness Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, he told him: “I can’t tell you how honoured I am to be in the kingdom of Saudi Arabia. We were very close to going to Wales, then I got a message from Prince Khalid. I told him: ‘Don’t waste our time.’ But the passion this man had to bring the fight here was undeniable.

“Sometimes there was shock. Sometimes there was criticism. Sitting here today I can tell you it was a wonderful, wonderful decision.”

Then came a delightfully sycophantic question for the prince. “I know you as the one and only Big K,” said Hearn, beaming like the cat that has not only got the cream but is having it mainlined into his mouth. “How does it feel to be bringing the fight here?”

After a few words of happiness from the prince, Hearn was off again. “Just 10 weeks ago they embarked on getting a purpose-built stadium,” he said. “It is not just done – it is done as one of the most beautiful stadiums in the world. My stomach right now is full of butterflies. This is a new dawn for the sport of boxing.”

History will be the judge of that. But for now at least the big fight playbook is not so very different. At the traditional staredown Ruiz, wearing a New York Knicks top to remind him of where he ripped the WBA, IBF and WBO belts from Joshua’s grasp in June, started shouting: “And still! And still!”

Joshua’s camp replied: “And the new!” Then the boxers smiled and shook hands. At least we can say this with confidence: both men are a credit to their sport.

Earlier the Mexican-American had promised to be better prepared, before engaging in a minor act of clairvoyance. “It has been a long three months in camp and I am ready to rock and roll,” said Ruiz. “I know Joshua will come with a different gameplan, that he has lost weight and will try and box me around. But I am ready. I have been doing this since I was six years old. It has been a long rollercoaster, and there is no way I am going to let these belts go.”

Joshua, meanwhile, hinted at the single mindedness that has possessed him ever since losing his belts at Madison Square Garden. “As soon I got back from New York, I didn’t lose any heart, I didn’t lose any fire in my belly, and I went straight back to hitting the heavy bag at Finchley ABC,” he said. “There is no fear in my heart, no fear in my eyes, no fear in my mind.”

Tellingly, he also gave a warning to those expecting a repeat of their brawl in June. “I am not here to put on a show, I am here to win.”

And after a lot of hype and hot air, that truth carried all the power of one of his overhand rights.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/edd...181803378.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fucking hell, I hate Eddie Hearn. I wouldn't buy a used car from the cunt and I would count all my fingers after shaking hands with him.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just watched the first fight again before work. What had we missed to write ruiz off so readily. Guess the physique was enough for most.

Focused, fast and never hurt once by Joshua. Stalked him down. As long as he doesn't do a Douglas and come out gassing from the start I can't see a different outcome.
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All the psychological "experts" waffling all that shit last time about Joshua being too friendly and whatnot, handing Buster the belts for the cameras and stuff. What's different this time? Nothing. They're just two respectful fellas. Grounded.

3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    The winner is obligated to face the WBO and IBF mandatory, it's already a given that the winner will dump the WBO (Haymon doesn't deal with them regardless) allowing Uysk to fight for the vacant title in February. Whoever wins has to face Pulev (IBF) next or dump that too.

Joshua can't be frozen out as Hearn will have the WBO title regardless and all the top heavyweights... barring Wilder, Fury and Ruiz of course. However, should Joshua lose he's going to need a year or so to ease back regardless.

If he manages to lose twice in a row to the Michelin Man his commercial worth is going to take a gigantic nosedive. There's nothing like two embarrassing defeats in a row to have bandwagon fans deserting en masse and leaving a massively popular fighter suddenly not so popular. He's going to go from Wembley to the O2 and the only chance he's going to get to fight for what the public consider the real title is if Fury beats Wilder twice in a row. He's made lots of money and when you add the fact that he's comfortable financially to the fact that he'll be mentally fucked by the double loss it's a legitimate question as to whether he'll ever be able to get himself back to the top. It definitely won't happen anytime soon.
    Should Ruiz win, a fight vs Wilder is THE dream heavyweight matchup America has been craving, the demographic couldn't be better. If Joshua loses he wont have to worry about that side of the street for a year or two regardless.

However, if he does decide to continue, "downgrade" to the 02 and gets a couple of comeback wins his blip against Buster will swiftly be written off. The greatest fighters in history have had a bogey man.

Haymon will definitely make Wilder against Ruiz at some point no matter whether Ruiz wins or loses on Saturday. If he wins it'll definitely boost his commercial worth regardless of whatever alphabet belts he's left holding. Joshua can make a comeback from losing twice against Ruiz but that's a hell of a blip. If he can't beat Ruiz would you fancy him against Usyk? Really difficult to see him getting back to the top level again. A fight against Fury could make a lot of money but less so if Fury gets sparked by Wilder again.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The winner is obligated to face the WBO and IBF mandatory, it's already a given that the winner will dump the WBO (Haymon doesn't deal with them regardless) allowing Uysk to fight for the vacant title in February. Whoever wins has to face Pulev (IBF) next or dump that too.

Joshua can't be frozen out as Hearn will have the WBO title regardless and all the top heavyweights... barring Wilder, Fury and Ruiz of course. However, should Joshua lose he's going to need a year or so to ease back regardless.

If he manages to lose twice in a row to the Michelin Man his commercial worth is going to take a gigantic nosedive. There's nothing like two embarrassing defeats in a row to have bandwagon fans deserting en masse and leaving a massively popular fighter suddenly not so popular. He's going to go from Wembley to the O2 and the only chance he's going to get to fight for what the public consider the real title is if Fury beats Wilder twice in a row. He's made lots of money and when you add the fact that he's comfortable financially to the fact that he'll be mentally fucked by the double loss it's a legitimate question as to whether he'll ever be able to get himself back to the top. It definitely won't happen anytime soon.
    Should Ruiz win, a fight vs Wilder is THE dream heavyweight matchup America has been craving, the demographic couldn't be better. If Joshua loses he wont have to worry about that side of the street for a year or two regardless.

However, if he does decide to continue, "downgrade" to the 02 and gets a couple of comeback wins his blip against Buster will swiftly be written off. The greatest fighters in history have had a bogey man.

Haymon will definitely make Wilder against Ruiz at some point no matter whether Ruiz wins or loses on Saturday. If he wins it'll definitely boost his commercial worth regardless of whatever alphabet belts he's left holding. Joshua can make a comeback from losing twice against Ruiz but that's a hell of a blip. If he can't beat Ruiz would you fancy him against Usyk? Really difficult to see him getting back to the top level again. A fight against Fury could make a lot of money but less so if Fury gets sparked by Wilder again.
    For what it's worth Fury was robbed against Wilder not sparked. However, Wilder just did terrible numbers against Ortiz - 7000 tickets (less than half Canelo-Kov gate) and 175-225k PPV - "Haymon" did his absolute bollocks if the purses were correct ($27 million). For all his beloved hardcore fanship Wilder's American audience simply don't buy his fights... watch but don't buy. Ruiz loses to AJ that fight is worth relative peanuts, especially in comparison to anything Joshua or Fury can do.

Ruiz is stylistically so different to Uysk the comparison is basically irrelevant. It's a boring old cliche but styles makes fights really is apt in this instance. Even if Ruiz irons AJ out again I don't see him ever beating Uysk or Fury.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Weigh-in

Joshua - 237 (10lb lighter than last time)

Buster - 283 (16lb fatter)

Unbelievable... 3 stone difference.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ruiz has blown this.

Joshua has clearly trained hard and differently.

How can Ruiz weigh more as defending champion, with time to prepare properly, than when he was a last minute stand in! Terrible. And he knows it, because he never took his shirt off.

Unless he ambushes Joshua early, there is no way he wins this.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The original Buster weighed 246, 16lb over his Tyson weight, when being slaughtered for not training against Holyfield. Coincidence? Remember he was absolutely slaughtered, ridiculed for not training, Ruiz makes him look like an athlete.

All that silly waffle about Ruiz being fitter after having a "proper training camp" this time and what not.
    Last edited by Fenster; 12-06-2019 at 03:15 PM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

can't believe it - a whole stone

i'm hoping its tactical (maybe fooling myself) but it can't be.

I remember how disappointed I was in Douglas way back.

Ruiz has to take him out in 3.

Pie munching fucker
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ruiz been packing on da muscle brah!

He's gonna take his shirt off fight night and be a rippled washboard of sinew and functional muscle

Jokes aside he looked like he was seriously sucking his gut in the whole time or was wearing a girdle...maybe that's why he kept his vest on

fat cunt

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

​I'm beginning to think Ruiz has cheated us all.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not sure what to make of this. Does not seem like he did a lot of cardio or jumping rope. For me it can only be one of two things

1. He is so confident and then he has Anthony Joshua's number that the extra pounds for him mean nothing because he is planning on basically dismantling Joshua the same way he did the first time except maybe a couple of rounds earlier so that there for his stamina will not be much of a factor at all

Or........

2. He has literally bit off more than he can chew

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just to keep a little honesty in this thread since someone is BSing to tear the black man down and saying 175k-225k. Most every report outside of people Iike Dan Rafael who has a clear motivation to lie, and even Dan doesn’t say 175, most everyone says 275k+. Most landing around 300. But we knew this guy would say the worst of course. Just a coincidence of course.

https://www.boxingscene.com/wilder-o...275000--144831

And Wilder/Fury is not the whitewash some pretend. Fury landed only 13 more punches in 12 rounds. Considering one guy punches all time hard and the other guy can’t break an egg that’s rather even. Oh, AND the guy that hits harder floored the other guy TWICE, again makes it rather even.

https://www.boxingscene.com/deontay-...-stats--134262

We get it though, as long as Fury doesn’t get knocked down he wins the round haha. Doesn’t matter if Wilder out lands him, fine. Knowing this it’s still a 50/50 fight because even if Wilder needs a KO, well, it’s 50/50 if he will knock him out.

Frankly, I’ll be surprised if Fury doesn’t pull out.(just personal speculation) Wilder nearly killed him in the last fight. Knocking him down for 11 seconds. How long does a person need to stay down to be counted out anyway? Probably up to a judge rather than an unbiased thing like a clock. Because logic
    Last edited by Ron Swanson; 12-06-2019 at 04:54 PM.

Thread Information