Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Nigel Benn fighting again at 55 - contracts signed

I had my 4 horsemen era when I was too young to have sustained interest, a lack of sustained interest in boxing, my Benn era, then another gap. I was always interested in the sport as I boxed myself but the pro’s my interest came and went. Lots of talk about nothing really there just, Benn occupies a large portion of my boxing fandom. Years devoted really only to him. That’s how I’ll remember him, this I won’t watch.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    I had my 4 horsemen era when I was too young to have sustained interest, a lack of sustained interest in boxing, my Benn era, then another gap. I was always interested in the sport as I boxed myself but the pro’s my interest came and went. Lots of talk about nothing really there just, Benn occupies a large portion of my boxing fandom. Years devoted really only to him. That’s how I’ll remember him, this I won’t watch.
    You will, even just to see Benn not get hurt.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ricardo Mayorga is also fighting on the card just to make things more bizzare!!

The British Boxing Board saying no, no way, has not deterred Benn. Having been turned down for a license there, Benn has sucessfully obtained license to fight under the auspices of the British and Irish Boxing Authority (BIBA). This also explains the announced (though not officially) addition of another veteran former champ to the card: Ricardo Mayorga no less.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.box...rga/128164/amp

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    This is nuts. Look I'm probably one of the biggest Benn fans here..well ok in the States ..but really he rather not. Being fit at 55 is to be celebrated and a goal but it doesn't translate to being fit when it comes to getting punched in the head repeatedly. And let's face it, Benn knows about that too. Giving and taking with immeasurable determination and fire. You didn't watch Benn fights from a chair quipping pointers and observations, you watched Benn fights standing up pacing in and out shouting till your teeth rattled. But he did his bid and rang every drop of self and soul until that slow stagger to careers exit door. Maybe that's playing a part in wanting to reclaim it, go out standing hands raised rather than frustratingly broken on that stool. That scene gutted the hardest man. A man makes his decisions and Benn has earned to do as he see fit but I think of the most tragic night he had and am hard pressed to want to see him now putting himself at 55 with massive inactivity in a position to temp same. No need, you're a legend.

Alot of people dead against this fight especially fighters

Nigel Benn comeback: Billy Joe Saunders implores Benn’s family to scrap 55-year-old’s boxing return

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-a9120716.html

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nigel Benn v Sakio Bika - Confirmed

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roy Jones was first choice but wanted $10 million, Hopkins, Lacy and Collins all approached but priced themselves out as well.

Ringside brain scanners being used for this too and Nigels had multiple brain scans and all clear upstairs which amazes me given the wars he's been in?

Bika has never been stopped or even dropped ( I think) in the pros.

He can clearly still bang but can he take one at 55?

Freak Show - Yes

Intriguing- Big Yes

£14.99 PPV stream for this one on some random website I've never heard of.

Benn certainly talks a good fight in the presser but this could go badly wrong.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I do not think this will be a one time fight. If Benn wins then there will be a clamour for more fights. If this fight makes money then more opponents will come out challenging Benn.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That’s the thing.

I don’t want to see Benn banged out but where does this end ?

Benn was my first proper boxing hero and I was a bag of nerves when he was in the ring. Not had that before or since (Lewis to a lesser degree and big Frank for different reasons as he belonged to the nation).

I was there at his final fight when he quit on his stool which was a sad way for a proper warrior to go out.

Although I was wrong - it wasn’t his final fight.

Is eubank still having financial difficulties ? You can see what’s coming here....
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    That’s the thing.

I don’t want to see Benn banged out but where does this end ?

Benn was my first proper boxing hero and I was a bag of nerves when he was in the ring. Not had that before or since (Lewis to a lesser degree and big Frank for different reasons as he belonged to the nation).

I was there at his final fight when he quit on his stool which was a sad way for a proper warrior to go out.

Although I was wrong - it wasn’t his final fight.

Is eubank still having financial difficulties ? You can see what’s coming here....
    See that's where I'm at too. Now a rivalry turn you can see as both have been out equally and the history is set in stone. Azumah Nelson came back at 50 so he and Fenech could have the trilogy after a decade out. But with a Bika it just feels like a set up and not some one off. It's rolling the dice to detract from any possible 'legends' type revival that would surely do decent though it would be a similar circus atmosphere.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am sure they approached Eubank and he was probably acting like a cock as usual. I can see Roy Jones asking for loads of money but Collins probably would accept if offered again.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I suppose it all comes down to how they all are financially.

If Benn does surprise us all and does ok - looking good when he does it- then you can see what will happen.

But in boxing's defence a lot of other sports have a 'seniors' tour and events so if they want to why should anyone stop them

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    I suppose it all comes down to how they all are financially.

If Benn does surprise us all and does ok - looking good when he does it- then you can see what will happen.

But in boxing's defence a lot of other sports have a 'seniors' tour and events so if they want to why should anyone stop them

Benn has just built a 10 bedroom house in Australia so he's definitely not doing this for the money.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not doubting Benn at all having financial motives. I'm completely convinced he has 'stuff in the basement' and is raring to go.

It's the others who may follow.

Hell if Benn eubank III fought next year on ppv I'd be a pre ordering now!

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whilst Benn is financially rich he is not boxing for the love of the sport or to clean up whatever demons he has if he was not being paid his worth.

Training hard, getting up for morning runs, putting your body through a lot of pain you will ask yourself "why am I doing this?".

Knowing that you will be getting a huge amount of money eases the pain. He will earn more money than anything else he will do in his everyday life. That is what motivates and drives most people. He is "fortunate" at his age to be able to box and demand an interest in him. If he is a success watch his old foes come out of the woodwork and ask for rematches.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi everyone, I am a big boxing fan and I just want to say that I am relly worried about Nigel, I think his son may have laid him to this foolhardy decision . It isn't right for lighter wait classes to fight old, only heavywaits can get away with it. If Klitchko brothers wanted to try I could see it, but Nigel is passed it since a while what does everyone think? Agreed or disagree?

Thread Information