Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Nigel Benn fighting again at 55 - contracts signed

According to his son Connor this is 100% happening!

Benn's son, Conor, who is an active welterweight fighter, is reported as saying: "He's back! I wonder who will he face."

Conor also confirmed to World Boxing News (WBN) that his famous father has a fight signed against a former WBC world titleholder who fought as recently as two years ago, although he did not say specifically who his father's opponent would be.

"It's guaranteed he's definitely fighting," Conor told WBN.

"One hundred million percent. Contracts have been signed. The ins and outs I'm not too sure of or what's in the contract word for word. But it won't be with Eddie Hearn, Frank Warren, Top Rank and ESPN or anything like that. It will be a Benn Promotions show."

The popular former world champion was quoted as saying: "20 years (later), I'm back. I'm ready. One more time. Feels good."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...y-jones-jr/amp

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Nigel Benn fighting again at 55 - contracts signed

Why not? But he's still got a ways to go to catch this guy........

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-...shire-35086977

"Steve Ward, 59, regains world's oldest boxer title"

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've read Benns fighting an ex light Heavyweight champion who held the title only 2 years ago.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

​I wouldn't want to fight him, even if he is 55
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nigel Benn can do whatever he likes as long as he passes the boxing medical and is fit to fight should be allowed to fight. If idiots are will to pay him then it is very tempting.

However WTF is he really doing boxing at his age. There are far easier things to do than gets smashed in the face for a living. There really is no need for him to climb back in the ring. He was washed up and finished 20 years ago and never liked sparring when he was at his peak so now to get in the ring because he feels fit and probably bored is really stupid.

It does not matter if he fights someone his level. This is a dangerous sport. Hope he does not get hurt trying this but he would be best just doing 3 rounder’s and see where he is at from there.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nigel Benn v Sakio Bika ?

World Boxing News has learned further details of the sensational comeback pencilled in for British legend and two-weight world champion Nigel Benn. WBN initially revealed details of Benn’s decision to return at the age of 55 last week, with more information added ahead of a planned press conference. Benn is now set to battle it out over ten rounds in a return to the city of his first bout with arch-nemesis Chris Eubank. ‘The Dark Destroyer’ will face a former WBC title holder at the Resorts World Arena on November 23. In regards to an opponent, Sakio Bika keeps popping up in the equation. Bika is based in Australia and has spent time in Benn’s gym previously. Bika, 40, makes complete sense and would be a tough test for Benn with a fifteen-year age gap after a two-decade plus layoff. ‘The Scorpion’ last fought in 2017, the last of two victories in Australia following defeat to Adonis Stevenson in 2015. Four years out of world class doesn’t tell the whole story of Bika, who is a warrior and a very hard man to beat. Kudos must go to Benn for agreeing to fight Bika way into his veteran years if the Cameroonian-born former Contender star is confirmed next week.

If you use this content, you legally agree to credit World Boxing News and backlink to our story Nigel Benn, 55, set to fight over TEN ROUNDS in Birmingham on Nov 23 | WBN - World Boxing News

https://www.worldboxingnews.net/2019...ds-birmingham/

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bika was a tough, dirty, strong boxer who gave Joe Calzaghe hell when they fought.

I am sure Benn's son was against him making a comeback when it was stated a couple of years ago.

Still insane but when you get idiot you tubers who do jot know how to box on ppv cards you know the Boxing world has gone insane.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I’m beginning to think this might actually happen
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it is a very bad idea. 4 rounds or whatever as a test, but 10 rounds and against Bika? Seems a bit stiff. Two old men in Benn and Eubank clinching and posing might make some sense, but not against a fighter a generation younger. Like it or not 55 is ancient and even for a non boxer in a hard labor occupation. I don't like it, but it is his choice and I will cheer him on.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sakio Bika is as tough as nails, a guy who was an elite level fighter and who is 15 years younger than Benn. At 40, it's not inconceivable that he could still be fighting professionally.

Unless this is going to be an exhibition match, it sounds like lunacy to me
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    Sakio Bika is as tough as nails, a guy who was an elite level fighter and who is 15 years younger than Benn. At 40, it's not inconceivable that he could still be fighting professionally.

Unless this is going to be an exhibition match, it sounds like lunacy to me
    Benn should get beat unless he has had a word in Bika's ear to lay down at the right time.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bookmakers have begun taking bets on a shock return for UK legend Nigel Benn against former WBC champion Sakio Bika. Benn, a 1990’s icon, is set to make an unbelievable comeback at the age of 55. The fight is scheduled to take place in Birmingham on November 23 over ten rounds. An opponent is yet to be formally locked in, although Bika is the frontrunner by some margin at this stage.

If you use this content, you legally agree to credit World Boxing News and backlink to our story Bookmakers begin taking bets, release odds for Nigel Benn v Sakio Bika | WBN - World Boxing News

https://www.worldboxingnews.net/2019...kio-bika-odds/

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So it's 100% happening 🤤

Nigel Benn comeback fight: 55-year-old British boxing legend to announce November 23 return at press conference this week

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/6...g-november-23/

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nigel Benn comeback: Former world champion labelled ‘fittest 55-year-old on planet Earth’

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-a9119366.html

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is nuts. Look I'm probably one of the biggest Benn fans here..well ok in the States ..but really he rather not. Being fit at 55 is to be celebrated and a goal but it doesn't translate to being fit when it comes to getting punched in the head repeatedly. And let's face it, Benn knows about that too. Giving and taking with immeasurable determination and fire. You didn't watch Benn fights from a chair quipping pointers and observations, you watched Benn fights standing up pacing in and out shouting till your teeth rattled. But he did his bid and rang every drop of self and soul until that slow stagger to careers exit door. Maybe that's playing a part in wanting to reclaim it, go out standing hands raised rather than frustratingly broken on that stool. That scene gutted the hardest man. A man makes his decisions and Benn has earned to do as he see fit but I think of the most tragic night he had and am hard pressed to want to see him now putting himself at 55 with massive inactivity in a position to temp same. No need, you're a legend.

Thread Information