Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Devin Haney v Zaur Abdullaev

With Lomachenko in sight, fighting for an interim title 'means everything' to Devin Haney

Devin Haney isn’t fond of the word most often used to describe him.

Though he’s still more than two months away from his 21st birthday, the unbeaten lightweight from Las Vegas believes he left prospect status in the rearview mirror long ago.

Instead of calling him a prospect, it’s fair to say he’s one of the elite boxers 22 and younger in the world.

“He has skills to burn,” Haney promoter Eddie Hearn of Matchroom Sport said. “He has all it takes to be the next biggest fighter in the United States.”

Haney has explosively fast hands and quick feet and has been making a name for himself since turning pro in 2015, a month after his 17th birthday.

He was too young to legally fight in the U.S., so he began his career fighting in Tijuana, Mexico, where his youth was not a hindrance.

And though he didn’t fight 10 complete rounds over the four fights, he said it prepared him in a way that not much else could have done.

“I went down there and learned what it took to be a pro and to fight on the road and do all those things,” Haney said. “A lot of people told me I shouldn’t go and they said it was corrupt, or whatever, and I wouldn’t get treated fairly. But I believed in my skills and my dad advised me to go. It helped me get ready for the next step in my journey.”

He went 20-0 with 13 knockouts as a teenager, and has since improved to 22-0 with 14 knockouts heading into his fight Friday at The Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden in New York against Zaur Abdullaev for the interim WBC lightweight title in the main event of a card streamed on DAZN.

Vasiliy Lomachenko just defeated Luke Campbell last month in London to win the vacant WBC belt, so it seems odd to see an interim WBC belt at stake. But WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman told Yahoo Sports on Monday that Top Rank, Lomachenko’s promoter, said Lomachenko would not fight again this year and that his first bout in 2020 would be a unification bout with the winner of the Dec. 14 match between Richard Commey and Teofimo Lopez.

Given that, the WBC agreed to sanction Haney-Abdullaev for the interim title. It’s a pretend belt because anyone who follows the sport even marginally is aware that Lomachenko is the best in that class, but it’s important for Haney.

“The WBC interim world championship means a lot to me,” Haney said. “Some people kept labeling me a prospect when I knew I was so much more. Being able to fight for an interim world title means everything. This not only makes me the WBC mandatory for Vasiliy Lomachenko, but I'm able to do interim title defenses until Loma is ready to fight.”

It might seem a bit rushed for a 20- or a 21-year-old with limited amateur experience to be looking to fight a pound-for-pound great like Lomachenko. But Haney, who says his ring IQ “is crazy,” has already sparred many elites, including WBC welterweight champion Shawn Porter.

Haney was also one of Floyd Mayweather’s sparring partners when Mayweather was training for his 2017 fight with Conor McGregor. Mayweather can be notoriously difficult on sparring partners, and Haney said “Money May” kept setting traps, but Haney was astute enough to pick up on what Mayweather was trying.

The experience did wonders for his confidence.

“Seeing how Floyd handles his business has motivated me to work even harder,” he said. “It was a crazy experience. He was fast and he was very smart. He was setting traps for me, but I felt like I held my own.”

If he gets past Abdullaev, he’ll soon have the opportunity to fight one of the world’s elite talents.

And that, Haney said, is why he got into the sport.

“If you’re not trying to prove you’re the best, what’s the point?” he said. “I feel I’m ready so I’m not looking for tune-ups or easy fights. If I fight the best, that’s the best way to prove myself and what I’m all about.”

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/wit...193832041.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Devin Haney v Zaur Abdullaev

Should be another good look at Haney. Figure they'll wrap the interim belt around him and keep him in the wings as they already have him slated to appear on the Saunders card in Nov. Looking forward to Michael Hunters fight trying to crack the top 5 v Kuzmin. Any idea what happened to the Daniel Roman fight?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lots of talk that Haney is the guy to trouble Loma because of length and movement. Many say that’s what will trouble Loma. That he needs to get close to use his matrix pivots. That someone that can stay away can nullify that and with the speed of foot to pivot with Loma and fire like Pedraza did further complicates the range issue. But I think you need special power as well. You’re not going to win the majority of the fight with Loma so if you are to win you need to capitalize on the portions you do win. Haney may develop power, long guys can be late to realizing punching potential. Loma is a special cat, I hope Haney understands that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That welterweight Daniyar Yeleussinov who just fought looks like he may be a force. Haney should not rush to fight Loma, he's way too inexperienced.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ah bollocks I forgot kuzmin v hunter was on here..... Kuzmin isn't bad, but slow and tires out, I missed the first half of it but I would have thought hunter would look a bit better and slicker v this fellow. Hunter is a good heavyweight for sure but I don't think he'll be champ..... Although there was Charles Martin :S.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Heather hardy is quite amusing to listen to, sounds like she's about to get squashed though.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ez396979@yahoo.com View Post
    That welterweight Daniyar Yeleussinov who just fought looks like he may be a force. Haney should not rush to fight Loma, he's way too inexperienced.
    Didn't see him today but last time out when.he fought the Chilean fellow he didn't look like he's headed for the top, he's got some good offensive talent but the Chilean fellow who wasn't that great gave him a good few whacks. I don't know if he has enough time to develop to a real star.

I may also be mixing up parts of his career with other guys :S

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    Ah bollocks I forgot kuzmin v hunter was on here..... Kuzmin isn't bad, but slow and tires out, I missed the first half of it but I would have thought hunter would look a bit better and slicker v this fellow. Hunter is a good heavyweight for sure but I don't think he'll be champ..... Although there was Charles Martin :S.
    Yep looked like he could have picked his spots rather than some give and take and knocked himself for it afterward. Decent showing though and calls out Povetkin which seems doable. Hey a DAZN card that isn't dropping every 10 minutes . Must be working on the lines around here. Hardy tough, Hardy taking a pounding though.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Abdullaev is 10/1 (10 returns 110)

The "new Floyd" looks the business but the Russian looks too neat and tidy to be that big a dog. Can't resist.

Fight don't go distance - 7/4 (10 returns 27.50)

In case Haney blows him away.
    Last edited by Fenster; 09-14-2019 at 04:18 AM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Remember when Brian Kenny at least acknowledged the other guy in the ring . Wow the man is nose deep. Haney very sharp but bit windows open on his right side.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Haney looks electric (especially that jab), Russian scared to let his hands go because of the speed counters

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Remember when Brian Kenny at least acknowledged the other guy in the ring . Wow the man is nose deep. Haney very sharp but bit windows open on his right side.
    I used to love Brian Kenny. I was sad when he left Friday night fights and was happy when DAZN got him. He has not been good though. He has been very biased.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Haney looks electric (especially that jab), Russian scared to let his hands go because of the speed counters
    Quality punch selection there, literally painted him at will.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Haney for sure looked impressive. It’s always hard to tell how good he is until he steps up in competition. There are a few really good young prospects though. Haney, Shakur, and Teofimo all seem to have superstar potential. I’m in no way saying they will for sure be superstars, but they at least all look like they could if things work out for them.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I reckon Eddie will feed an old name to him like Crolla or Burns-Selby winner to boost his profile.

Thread Information