Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: As far as Liakhovich/Lyakhovich (however you spell it!) goes...what do U think?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: As far as Liakhovich/Lyakhovich (however you spell it!) goes...what do U think?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default As far as Liakhovich/Lyakhovich (however you spell it!) goes...what do U think?

Q&A: Sergei Liakhovich!

April 7, 2006

By Matt Gorey

http://www.fightnews.com/gorey04.htm

It's been a long journey from obscurity to glory for new WBO Heavyweight champion Sergei "White Wolf" Liakhovich. His climb to the top came to a rousing conclusion April 1st when he dethroned Lamon Brewster by unanimous decision in one of the most exciting heavyweight title fights in recent memory.

Speaking from his home in Scottsdale, Ariz., Liakhovich is clearly enjoying his arrival to the upper echelon of the heavyweight division. "I feel great, it's just so amazing for me right now," he said. "Winning a world title has been one of the best experiences of my life."

Liakhovich and Brewster put on a thrilling display of heart and power that left the frenzied fans at Cleveland State University's Wolstein Center hanging on every punch. The exciting fight may have restored some faith in the heavyweight division for those who saw it. Boxing fans are already talking about a rematch.

A stiff Liakhovich jab smashed against Brewster's face in the first round, detaching his left retina. Brewster underwent successful surgery Tuesday and intends to exercise a rematch clause in the original contract when he is fully-recovered.

Liakhovich said he will happily fight Brewster again but is currently more concerned with his opponent's health.

"I sincerely wish him a full, fast recovery and that's more important than anything else right now," he said. "I respect this guy. He gave me a shot at his title and I will give him a rematch when he's ready."

According to Liakhovich's manager Ivaylo Gotzev, the question isn't if a rematch will happen, but when. "We'll give him a rematch not just because we're contractually obligated, but because it was a terrific fight and Brewster was a man to give Sergei a shot at his title," he said. "We only have to ask when because of the injury."

Liakhovich is planning to celebrate his title-clinching victory in the coming days. Though the champion is pleased with his accomplishment, he's already itching to return to the gym and get back to work.

"I need to get back in the gym and start working on some things with my great Kenny Weldon," he said. "He gives me everything I need in a trainer and I'm looking forward to getting back in there."

The Brewster fight was a dramatic, see-sawing brawl with constant momentum changes until Liakhovich seized control in the later rounds, shaking off any ring rust from more than a year of inactivity. Overall, Liakhovich was satisfied with his performance but sees room for improvement.

"I felt really good out there. I came back after a long layoff and it was a little hard, especially going straight into a fight for a world title," he remarked. "It was a lot of pressure, but I handled it well. I'm still learning, I'm still working and next time I will perform much better."

Brewster connected with a flurry of bombs to Liakhovich's head and body in the seventh round, prompting the "White Wolf" to take a knee for the bout's only knockdown. Liakhovich explained what went through his mind.

"He took me to the ropes and hit me very well a few times and I took it," he esaid. "I took some time to recover by taking a knee and I came back stronger. It was a tactical move, in boxing you need to be thinking out there."

Two rounds later, Liakhovich delivered a punishing blow to Brewster's temple that sent the former champion staggering into the ropes. Liakhovich proceeded to unload on his dazed foe. The only thing that kept Brewster upright was his indomitable spirit.

"I said to myself, 'Damn, this guy is really something,'" Liakhovich said, laughing with awe. "I remember I just punched and punched and punched and he would not go down. He showed incredible guts and he's a great fighter."

The win cemented Liakhovich's status as a national hero in his native land of Belarus. The fight was televised in the former Russian republic and provided citizens with a joyful distraction from current political turmoil. Liakhovich doesn't get into Belorussian politics, but he's thrilled with the people's response.

"It's great! All of my country is so excited. The president of Belarus sent me a congratulatory letter and it was nice."

Liakhovich's stock in the United States is also rising. He will join ESPN2's Brian Kenny as the special guest for the network's April 7th card. Gotzev is excited about the opportunities opening up for his young fighter.

"He's a great kid and he deserves every chance he gets to be on national TV where people can really get behind him, rather than scratching their heads and wondering what's next for this doomed division."

The WBO champion will cast a watchful eye over the April 22nd Chris Byrd-Wladimir Klitschko rematch. "Chris Byrd is a really good, slick boxer. I don't know why he tried to change his style and tried to be more aggressive in the first fight. If he fights like he's capable of, I believe he can beat Klitschko this time."

A rematch with Brewster and unification fights are on Liakhovich's agenda. "I will fight anybody, anywhere if the money and time are right," he said.

I wanted to post this with the old WDRBR...but that shat was like 15 pages or so...& that's just too much reading...so here's the article...& here's the poll...ahem...Mick...heh heh heh.

Seriously...as far as Sergei Liakhovich/Lyakhovich (however you spell that fools name!) goes...what do you think?

Vote.

While I thought that he really did give a good showing of himself...it was against Brewster...whom I consider to be very limited in the heavyweight game...but lately who isn't? I had to vote that he's nothing more than a temporary solution to a permanent problem.

Maybe he'll prove me wrong. Seems like a good enough guy...but good guy's generally finish last...or in Brewster's case...they finish last...then they finish first...& then they finish last...once again.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: As far as Liakhovich/Lyakhovich (however you spell it!) goes...what do U think?

WELL,HE IS MOST LIKELY GOING TO REMATCH bREWSTER RIGHT? We'll see how that goes but he seemed pretty good,good movment for a big guy,very good chin too. This is the HW division though in his next fight, he will probably get koed and lose the title

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: As far as Liakhovich/Lyakhovich (however you spell it!) goes...what do U think?

BREWSTER WAS GONE...

then he searched the land for a medical personel who could come up with an excuse of john ruiz proportions

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: As far as Liakhovich/Lyakhovich (however you spell it!) goes...what do U thi

Quote Originally Posted by SalTheButcher
    BREWSTER WAS GONE...

then he searched the land for a medical personel who could come up with an excuse of Wladimir Klitschko "I was drugged" proportions
    much better

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: As far as Liakhovich/Lyakhovich (however you spell it!) goes...what do U thi

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan
    BREWSTER WAS GONE...

then he searched the land for a medical personel who could come up with an excuse of Wladimir Klitschko "I was drugged" proportions
    much better

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, he looks just as good as any other heavy.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan
    BREWSTER WAS GONE...

much better

I voted that he's for real, but that doesn't mean I think he's a dominant type guy, but he's solid

Thread Information