Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Manny Pacquiao v Garcia

Manny Pacquiao representative names two frontrunners for his next fight – Danny Garcia and Mikey Garcia

Manny Pacquiao will soon begin to make plans for his next fight, amid his work as a Filipino senator.

The eight-division champion defeated Keith Thurman on points in a sensational 12-rounder in July, and has since been back in his homeland fulfilling his political commitments.

Now though, Sean Gibbons (a representative for Pacquiao’s MP Promotions) has told ESPN’s Steve Kim: “Here, in the next month or so, he [Pacquiao] will take a look.

“He’ll see what’s out there. He’ll take a look at Danny Garcia, he’ll take a look at Mikey Garcia.

“Those are the two frontrunners.”

While both of the potential Garcia fights carry intrigue for boxing fans, this news may come as a disappointment for some who wanted to see Manny take on one of his fellow welterweight champions, Terence Crawford or Errol Spence, next.

Danny Garcia is a former two-division world champion with a record of 35-2 (21 KOs).

He lost his WBC welterweight title to Thurman in 2017 and was beaten again by Shawn Porter last year as he attempted to win it back.

Mikey Garcia is a former four-division world champion with a record of 39-1 (30 KOs).

In his last fight, he challenged Spence in an attempt to become a five-weight king, but was comfortably outclassed and lost a shutout decision.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/6...-mikey-garcia/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Manny Pacquiao v Garcia

Well, in all honesty... any Pacquiao fight from here on out is going to unleash a torrent of "why the f__ is he fighting... he's too old".... "he's just cashing out".... etc, etc. Still.... he looked impressive against Thurman and if I've learned anything about Pac over the years is to never count him out from anything he sets out to do. So why not. Problem is, sometimes Father Time comes slowly... and sometimes he crashes the party at precisely the worst time. I've always been a fan of Pac, and will always wish him well. As long as he can be competitive even at his advanced age, I say go for it. At least with Pac, I don't see him "retiring" umpteen times like others do, only to say "I'm baaaaack" much to the chagrin of those of us who wish they would stay retired. I don't think Pac will play that silly game.

As far as his chances against either Garcia, I'm not sure. I would've said Mikey was too steep a hill to climb before the Spence fight. Now I'm not so sure it would be a disaster for Manny. With Danny you never know. Danny is a confounding talent, who has risen to remarkable heights as well as sunken to puzzling lows. Both Garcias are good boxers and possess power, so I suppose either fight would be good.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think that Danny could catch him. Danny has issues with pressure though so I don’t think stylistically he matches up very well. But Pacquiao does come in sometimes without much defense and Danny will for sure capitalize on that.

Despite what everybody thinks, i still think that Mikey is elite. He jumped up way too much. I can’t imagine Pacquiao doing better against Spence. Mikey has proven to have a solid chin and his boxing ability is elite. I think he easily beats Pacquiao honestly and I think that would be a great match. That’s what I’m hoping for

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A confounding talent..probably the best description of Danny. I think it's fair to eat my words in regards to throwing Manny on the heap of shot used up fighters. He's old and has been through the ringer but he's put himself back in the drivers seat for now. I'd really prefer Mikey to stop chasing this 147 nonsense and be his own great, realize full dominant potential at 140 because I feel he's letting it pass him by. Manny even at this age will make him look a plodding slugger. Danny's biggest problem is not letting his hands go but the hand and foot speed and respectable pop are there.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Manny is on a charity tour now. lol...Out of all Danny needs to be resurrected. Mikey will be fine and have tonnes more options.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The fact that Manny is considering either of these guys at this point of his career is a testament to his greatness. I feel that either is a tough fight for Manny at this point, because both maintain their balance and position while looking to counter. Of the two I think Danny is the better match up for Manny, simply because (as others have pointed out) he tends to not let his hands go at times.

Mikey is smaller than Danny, but unless Spence beat the fight out him, Mikey controls distance and is the better ring general. I think either fight is 50/50 at this point, and I’m likely one of the few who is happy Manny isn’t going after Crawford at this time. I would rather see Spence vs Bud for each of those guys’ next fight.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not that I put much weight to it : But I heard Manny talking via phone to a local Dj here a couple of days ago. The Dj is mates with Amir Kahn. He I think; on behalf of Amir, rang Manny for a general chat and eventually asked what the chances of a fight between them was and played a taped conversation of Amir stating that fans would like to see it etc. Manny was the gentleman of course and said he is signed to fight early next year (He wouldnt be drawn on who exactly), but then said "yeah we can talk about this now that we are both free to do; and Amir has my number.".... My thoughts are its no value to real boxing history at all as we all know why some fit not so multi dimensional fighters line up for aged champions. But it could attract money from general punters in the right country and venue.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I saw something (I’m sure it was just talk) but that Mikey is the front runner now since Danny is most likely fighting Spence. I could for sure see a Khan fight though since Khan still brings in money somehow and Pacquiao should be able to easily win that one. I just don’t think that Pacquiao would risk it against Mikey. He is dangerous and not a big enough household name. If he is going to take a chance, it would be against Spence or Crawford to where he would at least get recognition.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    I saw something (I’m sure it was just talk) but that Mikey is the front runner now since Danny is most likely fighting Spence. I could for sure see a Khan fight though since Khan still brings in money somehow and Pacquiao should be able to easily win that one. I just don’t think that Pacquiao would risk it against Mikey. He is dangerous and not a big enough household name. If he is going to take a chance, it would be against Spence or Crawford to where he would at least get recognition.

Mikey's not a big enough household name? I'm not sure I agree with that. Sure... the buzz nowadays are the Spences and the Crawfords... but Mikey is pretty well known even to less-hardcore fans (don't want to say casual here), I would think. Mikey's been around forever, it seems, and should provide Pac with all sorts of recognition, IMO. If Pac's considering taking chances, Mikey's just as good an option as a Spence or a Crawford, and I've give Manny a greater chance against Mikey than the other two.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Your in my humble opinions hyping up Pac too high. Mikey will take the aggressive Pac to the cleaner and back. You really said it best about father Time shows up suddenly on a single night, Pac can't pull rabbits out of hats forever. Mikey will be "Pac met his match and/or pac got old".

Thread Information