Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Should England ban private schools

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Hadn't posted here yet, as the topic is none of my concern, but simply taken at face value...... why and for what reason should private schools be "banned"?? Shouldn't types of schooling be strictly a choice?
    That is the crux of the debate parental choice to send their children to schools of their choice versus all schools should have the same high standards and thus allow equal social mobility for the most deprived of children.
    Are scholarships not a thing? I know the whole "But what about the poor kids?" deal is an issue in regards to private schools, but in America there are scholarships. The ONLY thing that irks those against Private Schooling more is that the private schools that are cream of the crop aren't 100% scholarships. Which kind of begs the question "How then do you run the school?" the public schools take the tax money so that's out of the question. And they take the tax money(property taxes) even if your kid goes to private school or if you don't even have a kid sooooo there's that.
    This was originally about private schools not being allowed to be taxed and Labour wanted to take that right away.

There are scholarships but not that common.

Pupils from the private schools dominate the elite universities and that is another thing that needs addressing which could be done by abolishing these schools.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

El Kabong Guest

This was originally about private schools not being allowed to be taxed and Labour wanted to take that right away.

Pupils from the private schools dominate the elite universities and that is another thing that needs addressing which could be done by abolishing these schools.
    I'm almost at a loss for how to respond to a post that doesn't contain virulent acrimony towards me personally.

Thank you, for not getting offended and worked up into a blind rage by my innocuous post Master, I do appreciate it. Private schools in the United States aren't taxed or are taxed a whole bunch, due to how they fund their institutions: donations and tuition. Just an odd question here, but why should private schools be taxed? What problem or issue does that solve?

Well yeah obviously scholarships will be rare, it's like owning a movie theater and a few kids can't afford a ticket for one of their friends, but you give them a deal which means the rest of the movie going public cover the cost of that ticket either through ticket sales or concessions. In order to keep things going you can't just give away tickets for free.

Yeah, well a lot of those guys are absolutely worthless and a lot of folks who come from other universities or what have you are absolutely brilliant at their jobs. Look at American politics loads of Presidents and Presidential candidates from the Ivy League, a lot of legacies who are accepted not even on their own academic standings...sometimes there's a privilege with that sort of things, other times it's a weight on the shoulders of people who don't want or appreciate it. Really depends on the individual and what they decide to do with themselves.

Some extraordinarily wealthy people have great kids and they work hard and they have a chip on their shoulder trying to prove they got there on their own. Others are worthless bastards who spend more time losing the wealth their parents built up than adding to it or society. Same as anything else, not 100% great not 100% evil, there's both good and shitty middle class and poor people too....I don't understand what is so shocking about that concept.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Hadn't posted here yet, as the topic is none of my concern, but simply taken at face value...... why and for what reason should private schools be "banned"?? Shouldn't types of schooling be strictly a choice?
    That is the crux of the debate parental choice to send their children to schools of their choice versus all schools should have the same high standards and thus allow equal social mobility for the most deprived of children.
    Are scholarships not a thing? I know the whole "But what about the poor kids?" deal is an issue in regards to private schools, but in America there are scholarships. The ONLY thing that irks those against Private Schooling more is that the private schools that are cream of the crop aren't 100% scholarships. Which kind of begs the question "How then do you run the school?" the public schools take the tax money so that's out of the question. And they take the tax money(property taxes) even if your kid goes to private school or if you don't even have a kid sooooo there's that.

Stop pretending to speak for people you have absolutely nothing to do with, or pretending to have a handle on things of which you have no experience or knowledge. Private schools here often benefit from charitable status and tax privileges whilst running at a huge profit. Even public and state schools now have under a Tory Government started to be run like private businesses. The academies are then closed down and the land and playing fields sold off for development, netting huge profits for the directors who then fuck off. It is a terrible model from America we would do well to not ape. Feudal top down pyramid models with idiots at the apex of them. Look and Boris and the Don. Bullshit merchants selling over confidence in their own ignorance, like it is some kind of expertise, whilst having less common sense or actual knowledge of anything than the average bloke or woman.

It is exactly like you and Gandalf (and sometimes Walrus) you both know actually, close to fuck all, about nearly everything, and so have to cover that up with bluster and selling other people's conspiracy theories. You do so presumably because you think it gives you both the shine of sophistication . It doesn't, you can see the crassness and second hand nature of your arguments from miles away. The same as your bullshit man of the woods crap. I don't expect you have ever hunted for anything but your lost keys, but love the idea of pretending to be Grizzly Adams. You both try way too hard. Private schools are full of people like you that bully the scholarship kids for not being from the right class. They use terms like 'Your people' and finger wag like you do all day long. Anyone who has had to work with ex Private school toffs know how many of them are clueless and actually drag the company/team/endeavour down with their ideological identity politics and mistaking old fashioned ignorance for tradition or conservation.
    Angry BS as usual. I have taught many a student on a scholarship based on achieving a set grade and it is indeed one way of allowing high achieving less privileged students to compete. Since when have I ever bullied scholarship kids? Stop being such a lunatic for once in your life.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post

Stop pretending to speak for people you have absolutely nothing to do with, or pretending to have a handle on things of which you have no experience or knowledge. Private schools here often benefit from charitable status and tax privileges whilst running at a huge profit. Even public and state schools now have under a Tory Government started to be run like private businesses. The academies are then closed down and the land and playing fields sold off for development, netting huge profits for the directors who then fuck off. It is a terrible model from America we would do well to not ape. Feudal top down pyramid models with idiots at the apex of them. Look and Boris and the Don. Bullshit merchants selling over confidence in their own ignorance, like it is some kind of expertise, whilst having less common sense or actual knowledge of anything than the average bloke or woman.

It is exactly like you and Gandalf (and sometimes Walrus) you both know actually, close to fuck all, about nearly everything, and so have to cover that up with bluster and selling other people's conspiracy theories. You do so presumably because you think it gives you both the shine of sophistication . It doesn't, you can see the crassness and second hand nature of your arguments from miles away. The same as your bullshit man of the woods crap. I don't expect you have ever hunted for anything but your lost keys, but love the idea of pretending to be Grizzly Adams. You both try way too hard. Private schools are full of people like you that bully the scholarship kids for not being from the right class. They use terms like 'Your people' and finger wag like you do all day long. Anyone who has had to work with ex Private school toffs know how many of them are clueless and actually drag the company/team/endeavour down with their ideological identity politics and mistaking old fashioned ignorance for tradition or conservation.
    Angry BS as usual. I have taught many a student on a scholarship based on achieving a set grade and it is indeed one way of allowing high achieving less privileged students to compete. Since when have I ever bullied scholarship kids? Stop being such a lunatic for once in your life.
    Ha @Gandalf beaner said I only do it sometimes. I guess you do it all the time. Beaner never does so I’m second best

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Angry?

Basically El Kabong started crying because I called him a prune

Seriously do either of you have a pulse under all those cardigans?
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm almost at a loss for how to respond to a post that doesn't contain virulent acrimony towards me personally.

Thank you, for not getting offended and worked up into a blind rage by my innocuous post Master, I do appreciate it. Private schools in the United States aren't taxed or are taxed a whole bunch, due to how they fund their institutions: donations and tuition. Just an odd question here, but why should private schools be taxed? What problem or issue does that solve?

Well yeah obviously scholarships will be rare, it's like owning a movie theater and a few kids can't afford a ticket for one of their friends, but you give them a deal which means the rest of the movie going public cover the cost of that ticket either through ticket sales or concessions. In order to keep things going you can't just give away tickets for free.

Yeah, well a lot of those guys are absolutely worthless and a lot of folks who come from other universities or what have you are absolutely brilliant at their jobs. Look at American politics loads of Presidents and Presidential candidates from the Ivy League, a lot of legacies who are accepted not even on their own academic standings...sometimes there's a privilege with that sort of things, other times it's a weight on the shoulders of people who don't want or appreciate it. Really depends on the individual and what they decide to do with themselves.

Some extraordinarily wealthy people have great kids and they work hard and they have a chip on their shoulder trying to prove they got there on their own. Others are worthless bastards who spend more time losing the wealth their parents built up than adding to it or society. Same as anything else, not 100% great not 100% evil, there's both good and shitty middle class and poor people too....I don't understand what is so shocking about that concept.

Ha!

Like your President
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

El Kabong Guest

Angry?

Basically El Kabong started crying because I called him a prune

Seriously do either of you have a pulse under all those cardigans?
    Crying? Nope just noticing how unnecessarily personal you make things. And how you make up lies to keep yourself cast as the victim.

Hell even when I (against my better judgement) attempted to be nice to you, I'd post something totally innocent but you couldn't be having that and always assumed I was taking shots at you.

Even right now you're acting as though "prune" is the only insult you've sent my way... It's pathological now.

Go on insult away, I've not bothered responding in kind because you look like a derranged lunatic all on your own.

Thread Information