Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Callum Smith v John Ryder

Callum Smith to defend title against John Ryder

Callum Smith will defend his WBA world super-middleweight title against fellow Briton John Ryder in Liverpool on 23 November.

Unbeaten Smith, 29, knocked out George Groves last September to claim the belt.

Ryder, 31, is the mandatory challenger after beating the previously undefeated Andrey Sirotkin in October.

"I can't tell you how excited I am to return to Liverpool as world champion to defend my titles," said Smith, 29.

"It's always been a dream of mine to bring world championship boxing to the city and hopefully this is the first of a big run of fights here."

The fight will take place at the M&S Bank Arena.

Ryder has won 28 and lost four of his 32 professional fights.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/49857338
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Callum Smith v John Ryder

Callum Smith will defend his WBA super-middleweight world title on November 23 at the M&S Bank Arena in Liverpool, it was officially announced on Friday.

The World Boxing Super Series champion defeated Hassan N’Dam on the undercard of Andy Ruiz Jr vs Anthony Joshua in June, following his title triumph over George Groves last September.

However, he has not fought in the UK since September 2017 and so is relishing a return to his home city of Liverpool.

“I can’t tell you how excited I am to return to Liverpool as world champion to defend my titles,” said Smith.

“It’s always been a dream of mine to bring world championship boxing to the city and hopefully this is the first of a big run of fights here.

“My last three fights have been on the road in Germany, Saudi Arabia and New York and whilst they have been incredible experiences, there is nothing quite like a big fight night in Liverpool. It’s also pleasing that I get to be involved in a domestic fight against a tough opponent in John Ryder.”

“I’m buzzing to be fighting for the full world title,” said Ryder.

“I’ve worked hard to get myself into the mandatory position and keep myself there. I feel like I’m in the form of my life and this opportunity has come at the perfect time. Callum Smith is a great opponent and a great champion but I feel unbeatable at the moment.

“People will see me beating Callum as a big upset but I don’t see it like that. I believe that I’ve got the ability to win and that’s what I plan to do. This is the chance that I’ve taken. I’m heading into the lion’s den to get the win and shatter his Anfield dreams.”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/6...vs-john-ryder/

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Never seen him fight, fodder for Callum or potential upset?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Never seen him fight, fodder for Callum or potential upset?
    Fodder but it is a nice fight for him in his hometown.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ryder is tough and there is momentum behind him. Unfortunately, Smith is in the above class

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Smith v Ryder

I am looking forward to this one I will be there not far from ringside.
    Smith I feel is just getting better with each fight Ryder will give it a go but will fall short.
    This fight should be half decent and worth watching.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Smith v Ryder

callum wins wide or ends it late
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    Yes I agree but I think Ryder will give it a go.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bloody tickets have not arrived yet 8days to go .

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dia bando View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    Yes I agree but I think Ryder will give it a go.
    he will come to fight. smith is worldclass. have fun
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Did you contact them at all? That's cutting it close.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisri View Post
    Did you contact them at all? That's cutting it close.
    Guess they arrived today wrong ticket phone call all sorted we pick them up from the box office on the day.
    Day planed Chinese buffet by the Royal hospital in the pub after watch the Liverpool game taxi to the arena can't wait.
    I must thank my son for this treat for a Christmas present far play.😊

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Callum Smith: John Ryder awaits as expectations and responsibilities mount

Callum Smith has a boxing bucket list but fatherhood has tightened the timeframe for his dreams to be fulfilled.

Chasing them is not without pressure. Home-grown fighters like Anthony Crolla, Tony Bellew and George Groves are on the list of those recently retired, so there is added expectation for Smith to fill the void.

As he prepares to face fellow Briton John Ryder in Liverpool on Saturday, Smith explains how he wonders if he will ever be "satisfied" in boxing and how he hopes to one day show his daughter, Alba, the photographs of his realised dreams.

Watching Smith train, he is the epitome of focus. And it is paying off.

His last display - when he ruthlessly defended his belt on the undercard of Anthony Joshua's Madison Square Garden defeat by Andy Ruiz Jr - was described as "punch perfect" by BBC Radio 5 Live's Steve Bunce.

"I was the man of the moment for 20 minutes and then Ruiz stole all the headlines," jokes Smith.

Media swarmed into Smith's post-fight news conference that night in sheer panic after Joshua had been stunned some 100ft away in the arena.

Cameras were hastily being thrown up, a sense of chaos filled the room. Amid it all, Smith sat fuss-free, seemingly keen to wrap things up so he could get home to six-month-old Alba.

As we speak five months later, the death of American fighter Patrick Day has just hit the sport.

"Even before my girl came along my plan was to get in, earn as much as I can, achieve as much as I can and get out early," 29-year-old Smith explains.

"If I am still fighting at 35 I will be disappointed. My girl has just made that more of a goal. I managed to become a world champion, now I think over the next few years I can see how good I really am, get the massive fights, fulfil my potential and get out.

"I have seen one too many fighters stay in that bit too long."

Liverpudlian Smith, the youngest of four boxing brothers to all hold or contest world titles, beat Groves 14 months ago to take the WBA belt at 168lbs.

Now there is talk of facing one of the division's other three champions, hopes of a bout at the home of his beloved Liverpool Football Club and even calls for him to face a man who once beat his brother Liam - the sport's best-paid fighter Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez.

"When I won the world title, I am not going to lie, it was an unbelievable feeling," he adds. "It was like a weight off my shoulders, a goal I'd set myself for so long and one others had talked about. When I got there I realised how I am never satisfied and how I always want more.

"I don't know if I will ever be satisfied but I will keep going until hopefully I am. Now it's about ticking boxes. Unify titles, box at Anfield and I'd love to fight in Vegas.

"If I knew a bout with the three other champions could be made next I would take it. They are the fights that motivate me, the ones with fear factor where I know if I don't turn up I will lose."

Smith refuses to trash talk in a business rife with harsh words. As we talk, we draw comparisons between him and Irish trailblazer Katie Taylor, another fighter obsessed with the sport and uninterested in engaging with its attached circus.

Taylor has not yet defended her world titles in her homeland. Smith, though, gets what he says is a chance to say "thank you" to the people of Liverpool, as he fights in his city for the first time as a world champion on Saturday.

He picks up weights to shadow box at the end of his training session without being told to do so by trainer Joe Gallagher. He knows he must respect Londoner Ryder, a man who has found four stoppage wins in a row to become the WBA's mandatory challenger.

"I've been in his position and I know the little bit more desire and push you have in each session," says Smith. "I have to expect a better version of him than we have seen before and I am fully prepared for that. I just think the best version of me beats any version of him and beats any super middleweight in the world.

"I am in the form of my career and I believe he is in for a tough night."

In speaking to Smith, the knowhow he has gained from watching brothers Stephen, Paul and Liam on big fight nights is obvious.

He is visibly self-assured and his T-shirt - clinging to him because of the sweat - is emblazoned with the caption: "Erase history, write records."

It is the kind of defiant, driven mantra you feel runs through him.

"When I am retired I will know how good I was," he says. "I will not have any regrets and ask questions of myself. I will know I fully fulfilled my potential, which I believe I am on the way to doing."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/50405888

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just by the arena now just had a selfie with Darren Barker.🙂

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)