Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Why is the "0" so important to you? (most fans?)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Why is the "0" so important to you? (most fans?)

Since the shenanigans around the AJ-Wilder negotiations last year, we've seen history changing fights between Wilder-Fury and AJ-Ruiz. NEITHER unbeaten "star" was able to win their next fight, the entire boxing landscape changed, new players emerged, paths changed, the fighters value dropped and rose.

So what was so "special" about Wilder-AJ? What would it have proved? How come within 6 months the "top two" suffered a "loss?"

Crawford-Spence is a P4P welter superfight, right? Why is it so special considering Crawford hasn't faced a single top welterweight and Spence scraped victory by the skin of his teeth last time? Had Porter got the decision would you still be craving Spence-Crawford? Why? What does it prove?

EVERY fight in history is nothing more than a battle between two men on that particular night. That's it. It proves nothing in the grand scheme. Thoughts?
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why is the "0" so important to you? (most fans?)

For me since I first got into boxing as a young lad I've always thought more of a fighter when they were 'undefeated' and I was in awe when I saw that column with a 0 in it - eg 34-0 etc...(Chavez record especially)

As I got older I realised the 0 was not as important when you looked at their record eg a 2 might not be so bad if it was SD losses to other top fighters or even a UD

For me now having a KO loss is the biggie. You can lose the 0 though in many people's eyes and remain technically unbeaten - though you lost the fight...

You can't beat Buffer's line "for one of these fighters tonight the 0 has got to go" before the opening bell

I've just jotted my thoughts here with no real structure but you get the general idea.........
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It’s important to casual fans because it’s an easy way to tell if someone is good or not. For fans who actually watch boxing, you realize that being undefeated doesn’t so much matter than beating good competition. Having said that, even some real fans get caught up in a lot of the hype of fights.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Marketing. Truth be told boxing has to be one sport where numbers can be overrated manipulated and misstated. We're obsessed with them and they are often treated like the be all and end all, like a glossy shield or stopping point until you look beyond them. From undefeated streaks to glossy KO records to punch stat numbers to fan attendance to belts held so on and so forth. But with the 0 they're put forth like some testament to invincibility and a direct link to undeniable skill. Sometimes they're anything but and can speak more to soft touches and a wide eyed promoter. The 0 can become protected. Not to say that the 0 isn't earned but I don't care who you are all records have deeper truths among those SD or draws or even UDs. We look at pretty numbers like a finely presented dinner spread, we eat with our eyes before tasting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Everybody can lose against the wrong style matchup/a bigger guy so to me it’s a nonsense, I don’t look at anyone as invincible.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nothing wrong with liking the "0". I suspect some of those who criticize it are closet admirers or it.

IMO, it's all in HOW the "0" is achieved and maintained. For instance, Wilder's "0" has less luster to it for me than others, simply because Wilder fought a bunch of bums waaaay into his pro career. Boxing history is littered with pro boxers who were testing the deep waters by their 10th pro fight. Canelo is another. Nothing but cab drivers and bartenders in Mexico for his first 30 pro fights or so.

One of the greatest Mexican fighters of all time.... Julio Cesar Chavez.... fought exclusively in Mexico for his first 44-45 fights. Even at 30-some pro fights, he still managed to sneak in the occasional fighter making his pro debut. C'mon.... that is embarrassing.

He did go on to have one of the greatest careers ever.... but I remember when he finally lost (to Frankie Randall). He was sooooooo frigging enamored of his "0" that he was graceless beyond belief. It was sad to see.

On the other hand, Lomachenko is 14-1-0, and that "1" is a lot more impressive than a lot of these other bloated "0"s will ever be.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's like why is a virgin so important. lol....
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Thread Information