183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Patrick Day in critical condition

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Charles Conwell writes emotional letter to injured opponent Patrick Day
    "I replay the fight over and over in my head thinking what if this never happened and why did it happen to you," said Conwell.

"I can't stop thinking about it myself. I prayed for you so many times and shed so many tears because I couldn't even imagine how my family and friends would feel.

"I see you everywhere you go and all I hear is wonderful things about you.

"I thought about quitting boxing but I know that's not what you would want.

"I know that you were a fighter at heart so I decided not to, and to fight and win a world title because that's what you wanted and that's what I want so I will use you as motivation every day and make sure I leave it all in the ring every time."

He signs off with "#ChampPatrickDay. With compassion. Charles Conwell."

Day's coach Joe Higgins replied: "Thank you for your kind words. Patrick was born across the street from me so our relationship is special.

"He would have wanted you to continue. I'm am rooting for you to reach your dream, the same one he had.

"I too am distraught because I feel responsible but do realise there is no fault. Stay strong and please don't think we blame you."
    I was interested in seeing how Conwell looked and posted about it in the RBR thread at the time. I hope this tragidy doesn't destroy 2 careers. Conwell will have me as a fan going forward.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Denilson-The-Comeback View Post
    This shit is gonna keep happening until they fking stop letting fighters cut to make weight. Make them weigh in within 2 lbs of the limit when they show up to the venue for the fight and you won't see as many of these so-called 'accidents'. The extreme weight cutting and dehydration weakens the body and brain

You never or rarely see this in the heavyweight division .......think about that

And that's despite how hard they hit. Why ? Because heavyweights aren't dehydrating themselves to near death the day before the weigh in so they can cheat their way into a lower weight class.

All these fighters and comas ? It's like boxing is on a streak right now. But medical science has improved as it wasn't that long ago that fighters were instantly hauled up onto a stool, or even upright, instead of told to 'stay down' and take their time. Now we know that immediate oxygen and even induced coma is a good way to stabilize the situation and reduce movement that might cause additional swelling.

But from what I heard he basically needs a miracle as he hasn’t woke up since being taken in the ambulance.

I don't mean to sound like the grim reaper but the fact that he never regained consciousness after being KO'ed is crucial.

It's starting to sound like he's brain dead.
    The weird thing is that is the exact reason they changed to day before weigh ins. They thought it was safer. It’s insane that they think that. It just allows fighters to drain themselves even more.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Again tragic news. We should always respect these warriors who have put their lives at risk for entertainment

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It is official. Patrick Day died.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    It is official. Patrick Day died.
    Holy cow that is absolutely horrible. Makes me feel guilty I watched the fight.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, that is absolutely tragic. Poor guy never even regained consciousness. I feel horribly for his family and friends. R.I.P. Patrick.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

rip to another fallen gladiator
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

From Lou DiBella

STATEMENT ON THE PASSING OF PATRICK DAY

Patrick Day passed away today, October 16, 2019, succumbing to the traumatic brain injury he suffered in his fight this past Saturday, October 12, at the Wintrust Arena in Chicago, IL. He was surrounded by his family, close friends and members of his boxing team, including his mentor, friend and trainer Joe Higgins. On behalf of Patrick's family, team, and those closest to him, we are grateful for the prayers, expressions of support and outpouring of love for Pat that have been so obvious since his injury.

Before establishing himself as a world class professional fighter, Pat was a highly decorated amateur. He won two Nationals titles, the New York Golden Gloves tournament and was an Olympic Team alternate, all in 2012. Day turned pro in 2013 and overcame early career struggles to become a world-rated super welterweight contender. He captured the WBC Continental Americas championship in 2017 and the IBF Intercontinental championship in 2019. In June 2019, he was rated in the top-10 by both the WBC and IBF.

He was also a dedicated college student, having earned an Associate's degree in Food and Nutrition from Nassau Community College and, subsequently, a Bachelor's degree in Health and Wellness from Kaplan University. He was a son, brother, and good friend to many. Pat's kindness, positivity, and generosity of spirit made a lasting impression with everyone he met. During his short life, boxing allowed Patrick to impact many communities, both big and small. In his hometown of Freeport, Long Island, he was a beacon of light and the star pupil at the Freeport PAL, the gym he trained in from the moment he began boxing until the last bout of his career. He was recognized as one of Long Island's finest professional fighters for years. He was a fixture in the boxing community throughout New York City. Patrick was even known in Japan, which he visited to spar with his friend and colleague, world champion Ryota Murata.

Patrick Day didn't need to box. He came from a good family, he was smart, educated, had good values and had other avenues available to him to earn a living. He chose to box, knowing the inherent risks that every fighter faces when he or she walks into a boxing ring. Boxing is what Pat loved to do. It's how he inspired people and it was something that made him feel alive.

It becomes very difficult to explain away or justify the dangers of boxing at a time like this. This is not a time where edicts or pronouncements are appropriate, or the answers are readily available. It is, however, a time for a call to action. While we don't have the answers, we certainly know many of the questions, have the means to answer them, and have the opportunity to respond responsibly and accordingly and make boxing safer for all who participate. This is a way we can honor the legacy of Pat Day. Many people live much longer than Patrick's 27 years, wondering if they made a difference or positively affected their world. This was not the case for Patrick Day when he left us. Rest in peace and power, Pat, with the angels.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    He really did come across as a nice guy at the press conference, delighted to be in a TV slot, praised everyone and wished everyone on the card safe and well. They were both Lou DiBella fighters.

This is why I never shit on fighters for "quitting" and you "early stoppage" freaks are sick in the head (not everyone, not everyone, you know who you are).
    I know who I am, but if we were to stop every fight because of a wobble then so many classics would be lost. Boxing is a tough and brutal sport and fighters and fans know that.

It is terrible when bad things happen, but if someone does not want to get hurt then they should not box, join the army, or join a gang. They risk their lives in the pursuit of something they believe in and know the risks.

I have seen elsewhere the argument about cutting weight and day before weigh ins and I agree with that. You cannot be at your best if you are torturing yourself to make weight or in against someone outweighing you in the same weight class. That to me is where the bigger risks are.

It tends to be the weight cut classes that have more severe outcomes. The HW's hit much harder, but they do not torture themselves so much on the scales.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I haven't seen the full fight either and am not sure I want to. Some have said he was already concussed. I mean, if he was in a bad way then it really is on the corner to do its job. Like I say though I haven't seen the fight.

I remember Benn-McClennan and I find that hard to watch. You could see something was badly wrong, but on it went. I would have no objection to stopping that. McClennan could barely keep his mouth piece in.

There are wars, but in saying that, you don't want anyone to die. Unfortunately it is something that happens and we have no way of telling which punch will do it.

Boxing is primal and part of our dark side. Tyson got popular because you knew he would unleash fury. It is a strange thing for a civilized person to 'enjoy', but we watch indeed hoping for the Krusher to hurt his spoiled opponent. By punching somebody in the head as hard as you can you have no way of knowing what the consequence will be.

Anyways I know little about Day and it is of course very unfortunate when something like this happens.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sad

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Patrick Day

The Babylonians once believed man was created from the essence of divine energy, mana, blood or in some cases a strong breath from a powerful deity. These gladiators surely understand on a subconscious level that what they do may someday cause them great harm. If our polytheistic ancestors from Babylon put faith in man to depict portions of their fabled greatness through combat then Patrick surely has been given a seat at a table exhibiting the finest ambrosia of ancient delicacies.

Irony is that he didn't even need to fight.

He was dedicated college student. He earned an Associate's degree in Food and Nutrition from Nassau Community College and then a Bachelor's degree in Health and Wellness from Kaplan University. He chose to box, knowing the inherent risks that every fighter faces. Boxing is what he loved to do. The positive trade off is short termed glory, a paycheck and if you’re blessed...an opportunity to repeat the unpredictable cycle in a larger arena.

I'm not sure how much play the ref has into it. Or pointing out the fact that when he was was carried out he didn't have an oxygen mask on. Maybe it could be that a lot of fighters sustain injuries prior to the actual fight. You might have a slight bleed and might not realize it, only for it to be worsen come fight night and blows are making full contact to your head. Sometimes having a great chin can be a downfall (Eg Gerald McClellan) because if you can take blows but your brain isn't compacted into the skull as tightly at others then you'd be more prone to injury than other fighters.

There has to be a a reason some fighters can go through pure hell their entire career and come out intact, and others barely have that many fights and the second they get hit flush by a puncher, have internal bleeding, disastrous effects. It's like their skull is either softer or again, their brain doesn't have enough padding/fitted properly in the skull as to not let it get jolted.

Guys like Barrera or Margarito come to mind. They ate bombs all their career and came out brain injury free or Jake Lamotta took more beatings than anybody and ended up doing one man plays at 90 years old.

Spare a thought for Conwell who was just a young kid who went in to win a fight and move on in his career, now this hangs over his head forever.

Anyway sleep in eternal peace Pat - You will be missed by people who didn't even have the pleasure of knowing you.
    Last edited by Denilson-The-Comeback; 10-17-2019 at 05:06 PM.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That was a very thoughtful post. Indeed...Conwell will be forever marked by this as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he gave up boxing right now, or after a few lackluster fights. Tragedy all the way around.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/50080719
    Ronnie will love this. His mate showing some genuine emotion, but I’m sure he’ll pick holes in it.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Think about the absurdity of sitting in the comfort of our homes and finding fault with, judging the extent of injuries of young men and women who train their arses off and get punched in the head repeatedly. Fans do it every weekend. I certainly have. There are no bums who climb through the ropes. Varying degree of skill and backgrounds but in the end they're sons, Fathers, sisters, daughters and a year does not pass where tragically a number are permanently or fatally injured doing what they have dedicated their lives and dreams to. There is a specific level of appreciation and respect earned and held for that. We are all free to dare and fighters do it daily. Rest at peace Patrick Day, ever the champion.

Thread Information