Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Have British tabloids gone all "National Enquirer" on us?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Have British tabloids gone all "National Enquirer" on us?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    The same photographs have made it into papers all over the world as far away as New Zealand. The main photograph looks like a slimmed down Ruiz to me, nothing fake looking about it. He's obviously taking the rematch seriously, he's managed to get a neutral venue and he won the first fight clearly, no lucky punch that did it. Joshua no matter what he thinks or believes will never be the same mentally again. You've got to make Ruiz the favourite for the rematch.
    If you want to go skint.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    The same photographs have made it into papers all over the world as far away as New Zealand. The main photograph looks like a slimmed down Ruiz to me, nothing fake looking about it. He's obviously taking the rematch seriously, he's managed to get a neutral venue and he won the first fight clearly, no lucky punch that did it. Joshua no matter what he thinks or believes will never be the same mentally again. You've got to make Ruiz the favourite for the rematch.
    If you want to go skint.
    I don't bet money on sports so I won't go skint. I think he's got a hell of a chance to win again though. Joshua isn't going to learn how to fight inside any better since last time and the little tub will definitely get inside and land those short hooks. Could easily make him quit again.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He didn’t get a neutral venue. It’s more than twice as expensive to fly from Los Angeles and nearly 4 times as long. He agreed to a venue DAZN didn’t want(another loss for that sinking ship) and he didn’t want. It’s irrelevant, location won’t determine the victor. But it was calculated, and not by Ruiz. London would have been simpler for Ruiz. If you’ve ever spent 20 hours flying you know.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    He didn’t get a neutral venue. It’s more than twice as expensive to fly from Los Angeles and nearly 4 times as long. He agreed to a venue DAZN didn’t want(another loss for that sinking ship) and he didn’t want. It’s irrelevant, location won’t determine the victor. But it was calculated, and not by Ruiz. London would have been simpler for Ruiz. If you’ve ever spent 20 hours flying you know.
    It's a neutral venue. Flight times don't come into it. It's not 80 000 deafening Joshua fans at Wembley which was an option for Joshua. Instead he went for a gigantic Saudi cheque which gives Ruiz the benefit of a neutral venue.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you want to go skint.
    I don't bet money on sports so I won't go skint. I think he's got a hell of a chance to win again though. Joshua isn't going to learn how to fight inside any better since last time and the little tub will definitely get inside and land those short hooks. Could easily make him quit again.
    If you were interested in sports betting you'd quickly go skint if you believe Buster is favourite, however, I understand the reasoning from your perspective. It's also a shame as 3/1 for Buster will look monumental if you're right.

However, I don't agree Joshua quit and the fact he's been stopped and avenged losses bodes well for his mental state. Joshua's downfall was initiating an inside fight after flooring him, even after that Buster didn't really do much apart from punch with him, from the amateurs to Whyte and Povetkin he's been caught with left hooks trying to hook on the inside, maybe he's finally learnt his lesson?

Stop the fight when Ruiz is stretched nobody believes the outcome. "Lucky punch," nope, sure did turn the fight on it's head though.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Why would Ruiz care about the cost of flights and accommodation? Who exactly do you think is fronting that?

And you're saying Al Haymon did a terrible job for Ruiz? He's his manager/"adviser," right? They chose Saudi over Cardiff (Wembley was never viable for December).

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Fat Andy won the first fight convincingly. Slimming down considerably is just adding an X factor into the rematch that IMO needn't be there.
    If he's in better condition it's not going to hurt. He'll have somebody who knows what they're doing cooking his meals, a strength and conditioning coach, an armed guard on the fridge. A proper training camp compared to last time. The knowledge he already beat Joshua convincingly and can take a big punch from him. A neutral venue. A mentally damaged Joshua who may well be happy to lose and retire with a gigantic Saudi payday in his pocket. I can't remember a rematch for an upset where so much was in favour of the upsetter.

Still... if Ruiz goes overboard in this slimming down business he's risking changing some things considerably for their rematch. It was the sheer volume and power of punches from tubby Ruiz the first time out that knocked out Joshua. Showing up for the rematch like the winner of a Jenny Craig weight loss competition isn't going to do him any favors. His condition in the first fight was good enough to take care of Joshua. Overdoing the weight loss could impair the effect his punches have on Joshua. Slimming down some is ok, but from some accounts, it seems he may be overdoing it. It's an additional X factor you just don't want to incorporate. Again... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you want to go skint.
    If you were interested in sports betting you'd quickly go skint if you believe Buster is favourite, however, I understand the reasoning from your perspective. It's also a shame as 3/1 for Buster will look monumental if you're right.

However, I don't agree Joshua quit and the fact he's been stopped and avenged losses bodes well for his mental state. Joshua's downfall was initiating an inside fight after flooring him, even after that Buster didn't really do much apart from punch with him, from the amateurs to Whyte and Povetkin he's been caught with left hooks trying to hook on the inside, maybe he's finally learnt his lesson?

Stop the fight when Ruiz is stretched nobody believes the outcome. "Lucky punch," nope, sure did turn the fight on it's head though.
    I agree Joshua thought it was all over, tried to walk through him and got caught with one punch that did a lot of damage. Most likely he keeps his distance during the rematch and Ruiz has trouble getting near him. He'll definitely get to him at some point though.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lack of a live enthusiastic crowd will benefit Joshua very much. If he planned to play backfoot jabber in NY or CA he'd be booed to the point of deafness within 3 rounds. It's not like Ruiz is a dumb one gear clod who forgets he got caught with the left hook and had to climb off the deck. He also shook off the immediate follow up long best right hand AJ could manage in the moment.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So in answer to the thread title..No. A photo from Ruiz own Social Media and a story reported all over the world of Ruiz losing some weight is hardly and "National Enquirer". Will the weight loss help him? Maybe, it probably can't hurt. It is about belief more than anything. If AJ can hold his nerve, stick to the gameplan and keep Ruiz on the end of his jab, in the centre of the ring, he will get the opportunity to finish it.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It wasn't merely a story of Ruiz "losing some weight". It was a sensationalized story of Ruiz looking comparatively anorexic (complete with "before and after" pictures), just to get readership and grab headlines. And yes... it was reported all over the world... but unfortunately the very first few publications I saw that ran with the story were British. Nothing wrong nor accusatory about that.... just an observation. It just seemed odd to me that in the comparative blink of an eye, Ruiz went from gorging on burritos and pizza, to now looking like the winner of a "Biggest Loser" competition. It makes for sensationalist press... but not much more.

As to the matter itself, it all depends on the amount of weight we're talking about. It certainly didn't seem like all that extra blubber bothered Ruiz in the least when he was steamrollering Joshua in MSG. It also didn't seem like Ruiz was the ultra-sensitive type who would care much about people poking fun at his weight. Personally I would've left well enough alone. He's made a pretty good career so far, while looking like the Mexican version of the Pillsbury dough boy. Don't see the sense in making major adjustments in weight before a rematch of a fight you've won in devastating fashion.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That thing about Ruiz being looking anorexic is so fake that must be put on the category of sensationalist press.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboxingfan View Post
    That thing about Ruiz being looking anorexic is so fake that must be put on the category of sensationalist press.

Yes yourself and Tito are both guilty of being sensationalist.

It came from Ruiz account and that is hardly looking anorexic.

Mental the knots people will tie themselves up in
    Attached Images
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was a comment. You're the only one who took offense, as you do across the board with your invented enemies. Put a sock in it, and STFU.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    It was a comment. You're the only one who took offense, as you do across the board with your invented enemies. Put a sock in it, and STFU.
    I didn't take offense though did I? just pointed out how eager you were to have your daily outrage Seems I was right. Enemies ? You guys
    Hidden Content

Thread Information