Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Can you make boxing safe?

Handheld brain scanners used between rounds would be a huge step forward as I've been saying for years.
    The technology has been around for years now so there's no excuse.
    The Nigel Benn v Sakio Bika fight next month claims to be using them, a few MMA and some Irish boxing fights have already used these scanners.
    Mandatory brain scans before and after every fight and then monthly should be law too.
    No one dies of from body shots, this is all about the brain being smashed about. 😉

https://news.sky.com/story/handheld-...lives-10621785

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If we were honest about how little head trauma causes life long damage the sport would surely be gone. There isn’t a fighter in the sport that has the brain they started with.

While I love standing 8s and wish they were used they are yet another way for a hurt fighter to recover. But, you don’t recover after you are concussed. Each blow after a concussion is far far more damaging.

We have to be honest, we know it’s dangerous, fighters know it’s dangerous. The real question is should we allow people to take such risks. I say their body their choice.

Most attempts to be safer would probably backfire. They’d probably go to bigger gloves and get more people hurt. Forcing people to fight at their actual weight by weighing them all through camp is a fantastic idea but promoters would never allow it. The last thing promoters want is fights canceled.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You have to question if fans care because this

https://www.mma-core.com/videos/Tyso...loves/10327964

Has been out for at least a day and not a peep here.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    If you had the control of Boxing would you introduce anymore aspects that would make it safer?

Glove size, less rounds, weight cutting issue, shorter rounds, more brain scans?

Or would you have expected to see more deaths in boxing (at this stage) and don’t see the need to implement anything else?

RIP Patrick day.

If I had control of boxing, believe me.... there'd be a hell of a lot more things I'd change besides just the safety aspect.

Regarding safety though, I wouldn't cut the number of rounds. It's already been done (from 15 to 12 for championship fights). Reducing number of rounds would ruin the ebb and flow of most fights. The sport would be ruined.

My efforts would be in weight control and brain scans. Yes.... due to the nature of the sport, brain scans are absolutely necessary and probably should be more frequent. It's a pain in the ass for the boxers, but it's for their own good.

Weight.... I've weighed in (pardon the pun) many times on this subject. I'd favor same day weigh-ins, to be sure. Of course, that would ruin the careers of those weight cheats who thrive on being 30 pounds heavier than the opponent, but c'est la vie.
    I am not sure why a brain scan would be a pain. You would go to a hospital and get it done and have the results in a few hours. It is just an afternoon and part of the job. I don't know how well fighters are insured, but I would like that to be fully covered.

I would like to see more fighters learn what to do beyond boxing too. It does end early and if you are not successful to need a plan B or C.

Same day weighs in would be great also. As draining is a horrible strain and not healthy and neither is being clubbed by someone 20 pounds heavier.

There is nothing else I would change really. Tragedies are not all that common and fighting is always going to have risks. The fighters know that. You climb Everest and know it can go wrong. Just prepare as well as you can and be aware as best you can. If the corner is concerned then protect the fighter. They know the fighter.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Those cornerman and cutman who know that fighter personaly can throw in the towel faster than the ref. Why they wait soooo long when their own fighter is getting rocked too far and deeply hurt?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post

Isn't that from November of last year? Seems a little iffy random worn gloves laying around and is he actually sparring now with that eye.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post

Isn't that from November of last year? Seems a little iffy random worn gloves laying around and is he actually sparring now with that eye.
    Yes, but the guy put the video out yesterday. No doubt the gloves were garbage. The question is if Fury used those garbage gloves. And the question should be asked of our never was lineal, steroid cheat champ.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post

Yes, but the guy put the video out yesterday. No doubt the gloves were garbage. The question is if Fury used those garbage gloves. And the question should be asked of our never was lineal, steroid cheat champ.
    Yeh that would be a pretty crappy thing to do and damn dangerous. But I'm also wondering if dude was still sparring him after he took his footage. Why wait

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's doing in sparring not in actual matches, because he wants strengthen his hands, toughen up his knuckles for when it's the time for the real fight!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    If you had the control of Boxing would you introduce anymore aspects that would make it safer?

Glove size, less rounds, weight cutting issue, shorter rounds, more brain scans?

Or would you have expected to see more deaths in boxing (at this stage) and don’t see the need to implement anything else?

RIP Patrick day.
    No. In short. The only thing I think you can do now is make sure weight draining and weight gaining is more enforced. I heard Max Kellerman and Bob Arum in light of Patrick Day's death say that they want FIGHT DAY WEIGH INS. I dunno if it would help, but maybe some purses should be taken and fights cancelled outright. Fans have to suffer as well as the fighter if they can't stay in their weight category!
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well Max kellerman and Bob krrum s take that idea from me. I said in the page before this one about same-day weigh-ins

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If we were honest about how little head trauma causes life long damage the sport would surely be gone. There isn’t a fighter in the sport that has the brain they started with.

While I love standing 8s and wish they were used they are yet another way for a hurt fighter to recover. But, you don’t recover after you are concussed. Each blow after a concussion is far far more damaging.

We have to be honest, we know it’s dangerous, fighters know it’s dangerous. The real question is should we allow people to take such risks. I say their body their choice.

Most attempts to be safer would probably backfire. They’d probably go to bigger gloves and get more people hurt. Forcing people to fight at their actual weight by weighing them all through camp is a fantastic idea but promoters would never allow it. The last thing promoters want is fights canceled.
    I don't know. Some fighters like Calzaghe or Froch or Eubank seem just as lucid as they have always been. I am sure boxing takes its toll on many, but plenty seem fine and live long productive lives. If you didn't know Calzaghe was a fighter you wouldn't think of him as damaged in any way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The most dangerous sports in the world and the ones that cause most deaths are :

• Base Jumping.
    • Swimming.
    • Cycling. .
    • Running.
    • Skydiving.

What can boxing do?

90 seconds between rounds?
    More standing 8 counts after solid blows, (not necessarily making that a 10- 8 round)
    2 min break at half way point in all 10 - 12 round fights?
    It's a very difficult road we travel with boxing considering one of the main aims of the sport is to hit the other person in the head intentionally!

I think Boxing is as safe as it could be...

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Perhaps Day had problems BEFORE he got into the ring? But really, i don't see us making Deontay Wilder "safe"... lol... the thought of it is laughable.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

then you have the guys like George Foreman and Mike Tyson who used to literally say that they were trying to kill the other person

Thread Information