Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Looking Sh*t on the bag?

I trained at an amateur boxing gym for 5 years.

I had seven years off, I’ve been back into it for about 4 months.

I filmed this sparring session when I was back into it after a couple of weeks, at the time I was quite pleased with how it went considering I’d had about 7 years off;

I then did a bag workout with my friend who said I looked like #%*# on the bag. This is what I looked like on the bag;

Not to get the issue confused, I’m not a prospect or anything, I’m only working out for my own general sense of health and fitness.

Under the circumstances I would expect to look like someone who has been boxing for about a year and I thought I was sparring at about that level in the gym.

My question is does my bag work really look that bad. I’ve always seen boxing as a skill that takes years and years to master. Also at my old gym, the goal of bagwork was to pummel the bag, it was usually done amongst other exercises like burpees, Sit ups and press ups.

Technique work was done on the mitts, partner drills, sparring and shadow boxing.

My general question is has the way I’ve been training been that abnormal and how should I get the most out of my bag workouts?

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Looking Sh*t on the bag?

You don't transfer your body weight when you throw a left hook and the way you kind of lunge into the punch will get you concussed if you fight someone that knows how to fight.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

your right hand does not have a weight transfer. weight transfer is what a punch actually is.

to throw your right hand with a weight transfer your body weight must move over your front leg. thats because your front leg is your fulcrum, a pivot point, upon which your body weight moves over through the process of hip rotation.

a true fulcrum will work by applying force to one end to propel the other end. in this case thats your front hip. in other words, you pull back the front hip to propel the back hip. but try not to overthink this part too much.

anyway, the purpose of hip rotation is that its a means to send your body weight from one leg to other leg. try not to think about your hip rotation and your weight transfer as two separate things. they're the same and they happen simultaneously in one smooth motion.

when you transfer your body weight over your front leg, your upper body is going to move over your front leg, and your chest is going to come just past your front knee. this motion is what concentrates your body weight onto your front leg. remember, your front leg is your fulcrum. dont over bend your front knee and dont put your front leg too far in front of you. this will move your fulcrum too far away from you and you will not produce a good weight transfer over it.

when you throw your right hand this way you will discover that your body weight will end up concentrated onto your front leg. and so, with your body weight concentrated onto your front leg, you can send it back over onto the other leg using the same action.

try hitting your heavy bag this way and remember to follow through. when you were hitting your heavy bag you were pulling back your punches about halfway and not punching all the way through. many guys will pull back their punches when they hit the heavy bag because they want to punch faster but that is illusory. try to resist the urge to have fast hands by discarding your follow through.

heres good follow through.

heres a tip i can give you about your sparring. your footwork is disorganized and its making you box in a disorganized rhythm.

step over with your front foot and press down and twist on the ball of your foot, and, in the same motion, swing over your back foot.

its very important when you step over with your front foot that you press down and twist on the ball of your foot. this motion will cause you to pivot. when you pivot you move circularly in the ring and curve around each corner. when you dont pivot you move sideways in the ring and bracket the corners.

the pivoting action is what makes you move around in the ring fluidly and continuously. watch sumbu kalambay and try to get in the ring and incorporate this into your shadow boxing routine, and, hopefully, try to post some more of your videos.
    Last edited by Yuzo; 10-27-2019 at 09:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Yuzo View Post
    your right hand does not have a weight transfer. weight transfer is what a punch actually is.

to throw your right hand with a weight transfer your body weight must move over your front leg. thats because your front leg is your fulcrum, a pivot point, upon which your body weight moves over through the process of hip rotation.

a true fulcrum will work by applying force to one end to propel the other end. in this case thats your front hip. in other words, you pull back the front hip to propel the back hip. but try not to overthink this part too much.

anyway, the purpose of hip rotation is that its a means to send your body weight from one leg to other leg. try not to think about your hip rotation and your weight transfer as two separate things. they're the same and they happen simultaneously in one smooth motion.

when you transfer your body weight over your front leg, your upper body is going to move over your front leg, and your chest is going to come just past your front knee. this motion is what concentrates your body weight onto your front leg. remember, your front leg is your fulcrum. dont over bend your front knee and dont put your front leg too far in front of you. this will move your fulcrum too far away from you and you will not produce a good weight transfer over it.

when you throw your right hand this way you will discover that your body weight will end up concentrated onto your front leg. and so, with your body weight concentrated onto your front leg, you can send it back over onto the other leg using the same action.

try hitting your heavy bag this way and remember to follow through. when you were hitting your heavy bag you were pulling back your punches about halfway and not punching all the way through. many guys will pull back their punches when they hit the heavy bag because they want to punch faster but that is illusory. try to resist the urge to have fast hands by discarding your follow through.

heres good follow through.

heres a tip i can give you about your sparring. your footwork is disorganized and its making you box in a disorganized rhythm.

step over with your front foot and press down and twist on the ball of your foot, and, in the same motion, swing over your back foot.

its very important when you step over with your front foot that you press down and twist on the ball of your foot. this motion will cause you to pivot. when you pivot you move circularly in the ring and curve around each corner. when you dont pivot you move sideways in the ring and bracket the corners.

the pivoting action is what makes you move around in the ring fluidly and continuously. watch sumbu kalambay and try to get in the ring and incorporate this into your shadow boxing routine, and, hopefully, try to post some more of your videos.
    Thanks for the detailed advice.

Thread Information