Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shakur Stevenson vs Joet Gonzalez (WBO Featherweight Title)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Shakur Stevenson vs Joet Gonzalez (WBO Featherweight Title)

Shakur Stevenson’s coming of age story could add another significant chapter with world title

Patience is a virtue. That old adage may be true, but Shakur Stevenson has gnawed off the letters in the proverb waiting for a world title shot. He has been grinding toward the goal that hard.

And now, the day he has coveted all these years is finally upon him: Stevenson faces Joet Gonzalez for the vacant WBO featherweight title at the Reno-Sparks Convention Center in Reno, Nev. on Saturday night.

“It feels amazing being that I’m about to become a world champion,” Stevenson told Sporting News in equal parts excitement and confidence. “During that time (of waiting), I definitely wasn’t patient, but the timing is right, now. It’s time for me to become the world champion and take over boxing.”

It’s clear Stevenson is in the left lane of an open highway, his GPS set to Reno on Saturday night. But the product of Newark, N.J. is not speeding at such a pace that he doesn't have time to offer honest reflection on his drive to greatness. That’s precisely what makes this a coming-of-age moment for the 22-year-old — not only as a boxer on the verge of becoming a world champion, but also a still-maturing young man.

Last month, Stevenson’s father, Alfredo Rivera, died of a heart attack. He was 40 years old. Estranged from Shakur, Rivera had been working on building a relationship with his son prior to his passing. Stevenson took to his Twitter account on Sept. 29 and revealed his dad’s death and his own regrets over it in a series of soul-baring tweets.

“It just taught me a very big lesson,” Stevenson, the oldest of nine siblings, said of his father's death. “I kind of have an attitude where I just push you away or turn my back on people at times. I have my reasons for doing that.

“I’m not the type of person where I do stuff without a reason, but I guess I learned that life is short, so enjoy it while you can. I want to enjoy my family while we’re here.”

Stevenson admittedly uses his Twitter account as somewhat of an online journal, an outlet that supplements his boxing career as vehicles to pour out his emotions at times.

Just last week, he followed up those tweets with another self-check.

“It’s a lot of people that’s in my life right now and I don’t think they be on the same page as me,” Stevenson said. “A lot of people don’t really think as big as I think. I kind of think that beside my close, close family and friends, if you’re not on the same page as me, I don’t really think that we’re going to be on the same page now.

“A lot of things change as I’m getting older, gaining more fame, money and all that stuff,” he continued. “I think the smaller my circle is, the better. I’m good with one or two people around me. One or two people that love you is better than five or six people that’s just there.”

These painful lessons and introspective scans have forced Stevenson to endure some self-assessment, but he vows that they won’t be a distraction Saturday night in Reno.

Said Stevenson: “Ain’t nothing going to stop me from winning this world title.”

Stevenson's manager — and retired pound-for-pound king — Andre Ward, plus WBO welterweight champion — and arguable current pound-for-pound best — Terence Crawford are helping make sure Stevenson’s mind set remains as sharp as his boxing skills.

“I take what they tell me and use it as far as my game,” Stevenson said. “Dre is telling me stay focused on your goals and don’t let the moment be too big.”

Stevenson almost can’t afford to let Saturday night’s moment "be too big," considering that scenario would dash the hopes of even bigger moments. Before even securing the WBO featherweight title, Stevenson has made his intentions of moving up in weight clear unless he receives a unification fight with IBF titleholder Josh Warrington, WBA champion Leo Santa Cruz or WBC champ Gary Russell Jr.

“I’d definitely stay at weight for them,” Stevenson said.

But of all the options, Stevenson says a clash with Warrington is likely the “easier fight to make,” as he boxes under Top Rank’s Bob Arum; Frank Warren promotes Warrington, and the two do business together frequently. Down the line, bouts with Gervonta Davis, Devin Haney and Ryan Garcia can also be made. A clash with Davis particularly intrigues Stevenson.

“I’m cool with ‘Tank,’ I’d definitely fight ‘Tank,’” Stevenson said of Davis. “I even told ‘Tank’ too that I feel like me and him are going to be like an Ali vs. Tyson fight that nobody ever got to see.

“I think that would be a big fight,” he added. “Nothing but respect for him. He’s leading our generation. Sooner or later, it’s going to come a time where we got to fight each other.”

Of course, the first line of order is defeating Gonzalez to wrap the WBO strap around his waist. Like Stevenson (12-0, 7 KOs), Gonzalez (23-0, 14 KOs) is undefeated, signaling at least on paper that the bout has the chance to be special. As a southpaw, Stevenson will certainly plant that lead right leg firmly into the canvas and navigate for enough real estate to unload his stinging jabs and power punches.

One win, and the 2016 Olympic silver medalist’s dream of becoming a world champion comes true. His coming of age story will have another significant chapter of growth — again, as a boxer and young man.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/sha...185901568.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Shakur Stevenson vs Joet Gonzalez (WBO Featherweight Title)

Stevenson has impressed me so far in the ring.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don’t hold your breath Shakur, you know the game. TR has the best MATCHMAKER in the game so don’t expect tough matches.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Don’t hold your breath Shakur, you know the game. TR has the best MATCHMAKER in the game so don’t expect tough matches.
    I thought the Diaz fight was a tough opponent for that stage.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No qualms at all with a #1 and #2 sorting it out. Stevenson has shown a little maturity and haven't seen him sounding bitter like he was early on. He's clearly skilled and one to watch and Gonzalez has done solid work.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    No qualms at all with a #1 and #2 sorting it out. Stevenson has shown a little maturity and haven't seen him sounding bitter like he was early on. He's clearly skilled and one to watch and Gonzalez has done solid work.
    Yea the Gonzalez bout seems competitive to me on paper.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Stevenson was British he'd be a much bigger name, the problem in America is they only show main event/chief support on TV, so the fans never get the experience of following prospects and watching their progress.

Stevenson has seriously impressed me of late, however, Gonzalez has some good amateur credentials (beat Shorty (Tank)). Cracking matchup and great to have rival powerhouse promoters not stopping fights.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    If Stevenson was British he'd be a much bigger name, the problem in America is they only show main event/chief support on TV, so the fans never get the experience of following prospects and watching their progress.

Stevenson has seriously impressed me of late, however, Gonzalez has some good amateur credentials (beat Shorty (Tank)). Cracking matchup and great to have rival powerhouse promoters not stopping fights.
    That’s one thing that I envy about the British boxing scene. It’s much easier to follow fighters coming up. All of you Brits watch what I consider low quality cards because they have fighters who you have seen coming up for a long time. We don’t have that in the US.

Maybe if you are from a specific place in the US, but I’ve never lived anywhere that boxing is popular. I’m always the only boxing fan I know basically.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    That’s what having the best Matchmaker in the game will do. Make it seem tough with no real threat. Nobody in the business would deny TR has the best matchmaker. Don’t get me wrong, he is being moved along exactly right, that’s the point. Just, when he says he wants Gary Russell and such, that is where I tell him not to hold his breath. It’s not going to happen unless they are very very very confident he will win.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post

That’s one thing that I envy about the British boxing scene. It’s much easier to follow fighters coming up. All of you Brits watch what I consider low quality cards because they have fighters who you have seen coming up for a long time. We don’t have that in the US.

Maybe if you are from a specific place in the US, but I’ve never lived anywhere that boxing is popular. I’m always the only boxing fan I know basically.
    We’ll never get that because we don’t attach to fighters because they are American like Brits do Brits. If you want to see prospects you’re going to need to live near boxing.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That’s what having the best Matchmaker in the game will do. Make it seem tough with no real threat. Nobody in the business would deny TR has the best matchmaker. Don’t get me wrong, he is being moved along exactly right, that’s the point. Just, when he says he wants Gary Russell and such, that is where I tell him not to hold his breath. It’s not going to happen unless they are very very very confident he will win.
    Seems like a bit of double speak here, so could you please clarify.

"Make it seem tough with no real threat", "he is being moved along exactly right".

Are you saying that Diaz was no real threat going in? Or that he was a tough opponent for that stage?

I thought Diaz was a tough out, not saying he was elite, but a very good opponent.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post

We’ll never get that because we don’t attach to fighters because they are American like Brits do Brits. If you want to see prospects you’re going to need to live near boxing.
    I think the bigger pic problem is how the 'product' is delivered and marketed. Stevenson had a lot of pop and talk from the very start but imo the dumbest thing Arum has done is sideline many fighters on this espn+ nonsense rather than actual available regular espn cable. Call me stubborn . Instead he held debut on undercard on obscure ppv format headlined by Oscar Valdez who himself was struggling to be established. Same with Crawford early to an extent.

Arum used to do it so well, straight from the Olympics onto the huge main stage and fans..this nerd .. started following them right off. Of course lack of Olympic success also speaks to a bigger problem. But on early ESPN I remember Medalists Carbajal, Mercer and McKinney all featured in pro debuts in one night. Right there with Michael Buffer intros and big pressers with Duran v Barkley as main event. Then again that's another thing lacking today..legends and house names to main event these cards.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"Make it seem tough with no real threat", "he is being moved along exactly right".

Are you saying that Diaz was no real threat going in? Or that he was a tough opponent for that stage?

I thought Diaz was a tough out, not saying he was elite, but a very good opponent.
    It’s not double talk at all. The art of matchmaking is making it look like guys are in tough when you know the outcome. Look at Crawford and Loma, moved to top 2 P4P, yet if you really look at who they fought it looks a hell of a lot better at time than it does after time passes. For Loma Russell has continued to excel. Who else? Rigo has done nothing at 130 because he’s small at 122. Loma didn’t fight the top guys at 130, none of them. His fault, not his fault, skip the debate of fault it remains he didn’t fight the top guys. 135, did anyone think Linares could go 12 with Mikey, seriously, anyone? Is Pedraza a 135 killer? How they have done since doesn’t say much for an argument to greatness. Frankly what they did before doesn’t either, they simply were not the top guys in the division. So Crolla, Campbell. If you really look at it that is not P4P number 1 stuff.

For example Floyd came out of retirement and fought the number 2 and number 3 P4P fighters consecutively and was insulted for it. “Marquez is too small”. The same Marquez that would go on to beat Manny f’n Pacquiao at the weight he was “too small” at.

Or Crawford, it doesn’t take much to pick his career apart either if you really get into it. I can’t even tell you who Crawford has fought at 47 and I’m a fan. Horn, Peg leg Benavidez and Khan, is that it? Is that top 2 P4P stuff? But there he is.

There is an art to boxing and it is getting people to believe the lie. FFS ESPN has listed Loma as being undefeated on 2 separate cards recently and nobody says a thing about it. They keep claiming Tyson Fury was and is lineal champ, he wasn’t and isn’t. Nobody sells snake oil like Top Rank. And I’ll be labeled a hater for pointing out these lies. Listing Loma as undefeated in one graphic, okay, a mistake, do it twice months apart, you are lying.

Ahh, alcohol, it leads to rants. I just love this sport and hate it so hahaha

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It’s not double talk at all. The art of matchmaking is making it look like guys are in tough when you know the outcome. Look at Crawford and Loma, moved to top 2 P4P, yet if you really look at who they fought it looks a hell of a lot better at time than it does after time passes. For Loma Russell has continued to excel. Who else? Rigo has done nothing at 130 because he’s small at 122. Loma didn’t fight the top guys at 130, none of them. His fault, not his fault, skip the debate of fault it remains he didn’t fight the top guys. 135, did anyone think Linares could go 12 with Mikey, seriously, anyone? Is Pedraza a 135 killer? How they have done since doesn’t say much for an argument to greatness. Frankly what they did before doesn’t either, they simply were not the top guys in the division. So Crolla, Campbell. If you really look at it that is not P4P number 1 stuff.

For example Floyd came out of retirement and fought the number 2 and number 3 P4P fighters consecutively and was insulted for it. “Marquez is too small”. The same Marquez that would go on to beat Manny f’n Pacquiao at the weight he was “too small” at.

Or Crawford, it doesn’t take much to pick his career apart either if you really get into it. I can’t even tell you who Crawford has fought at 47 and I’m a fan. Horn, Peg leg Benavidez and Khan, is that it? Is that top 2 P4P stuff? But there he is.

There is an art to boxing and it is getting people to believe the lie. FFS ESPN has listed Loma as being undefeated on 2 separate cards recently and nobody says a thing about it. They keep claiming Tyson Fury was and is lineal champ, he wasn’t and isn’t. Nobody sells snake oil like Top Rank. And I’ll be labeled a hater for pointing out these lies. Listing Loma as undefeated in one graphic, okay, a mistake, do it twice months apart, you are lying.

Ahh, alcohol, it leads to rants. I just love this sport and hate it so hahaha
    All good Ron, rant away, I love the sport as well. But this is what I was addressing:

So are you saying I was fooled into thinking Diaz was a tough opponent?

I'd have to disagree because even at this stage I think Diaz is a tough opponent for anyone around the weight.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anyone else staying around for this, or Easter/ Granados?
    They live, We sleep

Thread Information