Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  18
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What was your scorecard at the time of the Kov-Canelo fight stoppage?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What was your scorecard at the time of the Kov-Canelo fight stoppage?

It seems the consensus is that Kovalev was up by between 2 to 6 points with a few arguing it was even. Nobody had Canelo up. I still think Kovalev fought a strange fight and something about it all felt a bit off for me. I can understand wanting to use a jab, but only the jab and not jab to the body more and not to use it with any degree of force at all?

Something about it doesn't sit right with me. Was Kovalev gun shy after being hurt again in the last fight and being stopped a year before that too? Was he scared about his stamina? If so it is strange as Canelo has stamina issues and if pounded to the body or head would have had to take note himself. I won't say fix, but it was odd and even with that oddness Kovalev was still winning the fight handily by sparring and seemingly not trying to hurt his opponent.

He seemed too happy before and after and maybe he is at peace and was happy with the payday and knows his time is up. I hope it wasn't the case, but it would have been nice to see some intensity and to try a few different looks. It was a weird latter day Wlad style showing. Effective, but kind of underwhelming.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What was your scorecard at the time of the Kov-Canelo fight stoppage?

Well, if it was a woman in there I’m sure he would have been more aggressive. People can take comfort knowing that.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    It seems the consensus is that Kovalev was up by between 2 to 6 points with a few arguing it was even. Nobody had Canelo up. I still think Kovalev fought a strange fight and something about it all felt a bit off for me. I can understand wanting to use a jab, but only the jab and not jab to the body more and not to use it with any degree of force at all?

Something about it doesn't sit right with me. Was Kovalev gun shy after being hurt again in the last fight and being stopped a year before that too? Was he scared about his stamina? If so it is strange as Canelo has stamina issues and if pounded to the body or head would have had to take note himself. I won't say fix, but it was odd and even with that oddness Kovalev was still winning the fight handily by sparring and seemingly not trying to hurt his opponent.

He seemed too happy before and after and maybe he is at peace and was happy with the payday and knows his time is up. I hope it wasn't the case, but it would have been nice to see some intensity and to try a few different looks. It was a weird latter day Wlad style showing. Effective, but kind of underwhelming.
    I don’t want to sound like a complete Canelo hater or conspiracy theorist, but this whole thing has seemed fishy. When I first heard people talking about this being rigged, I completely dismissed it. I’m not claiming anything definitive, but I do agree that this whole thing seemed a bit strange.

I’m honestly trying to be neutral, but I’ve never felt like this for any other fight. There are so many oddities surrounding it.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post

I don’t want to sound like a complete Canelo hater or conspiracy theorist, but this whole thing has seemed fishy. When I first heard people talking about this being rigged, I completely dismissed it. I’m not claiming anything definitive, but I do agree that this whole thing seemed a bit strange.

I’m honestly trying to be neutral, but I’ve never felt like this for any other fight. There are so many oddities surrounding it.
    I agree. Even the fight being made sounded strange. Then we hear that Kovalev had little preparation time, had just had a tough fight. A few days before we hear about the weight clause. Then Kovalev comes to the ring first. The strange card they kept popping up. The awful commentary. The peculiar style from Kovalev. Something seems off.

Maybe not a set up, but there are indications of it. Kovalev was winning by just staying away, yet he always at least tries to land something big and why wouldn't you at least when fresh against Canelo. There was every chance Canelo could be put down like Hopkins or Ward. There was none of of that from Kovalev. Surely he saw that GGG rocked Canelo several times and had him retreating. Just very weird, then the card on screen that made no sense to me and Kovalev just seeming so....happy.

Who knows, maybe he got hurt in sparring or something and with the damage in the last fight felt on his last legs, but it was strange. Don't get me wrong, I had him up and keeping a dwarf at bay as one should, but there should have been some hurt with it. Canelo hasn't been stopping anyone and Manny only went up and stopped Oscar with accumulation and output. Canelo had no output at all.

Just weird.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For fucks sake, what an embarrassment, I thought this "staged" lark was from the youtube race baiter paranoid spastic channels

You people shouldn't be allowed to watch boxing. Maxim Dadashev died a few months back after his trainer, Buddy McGirt (Kovalev's trainer), pulled him out of a fight in the 11th round. Just last month Patrick Day never woke up after getting knocked out.

Kovalev was bludgeoned unconscious, he spent the night in hospital not a fucking nightclub divvying up the winnings.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    For fucks sake, what an embarrassment, I thought this "staged" lark was from the youtube race baiter paranoid spastic channels

You people shouldn't be allowed to watch boxing. Maxim Dadashev died a few months back after his trainer, Buddy McGirt (Kovalev's trainer), pulled him out of a fight in the 11th round. Just last month Patrick Day never woke up after getting knocked out.

Kovalev was bludgeoned unconscious, he spent the night in hospital not a fucking nightclub divvying up the winnings.
    I don't think anybody here has said the knockout was 'fake'. People are simply pointing out peculiarities and it was peculiar as Kovalev was fighting a small man, has likely been hit a lot more and harder, and fought very strangely.

Why you are bringing up death or telling people they shouldn't be allowed to watch boxing is beyond me. Simply not an argument or connected with anything anyone is saying.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think anybody here has said the knockout was 'fake'. People are simply pointing out peculiarities and it was peculiar as Kovalev was fighting a small man, has likely been hit a lot more and harder, and fought very strangely.

Why you are bringing up death or telling people they shouldn't be allowed to watch boxing is beyond me. Simply not an argument or connected with anything anyone is saying.
    Not connected? Is that a joke?

You wont call it a "fix" but "odd." You agree it was fishy and bit strange after hearing about the conspiracy and accusations of fix, however, maybe not a "set up" but there are "indications of it".

The man you had easily winning ended up in hospital after suffering a brutal knock out. I fully stand by my comments, people like you shouldn't be allowed to watch boxing until you learn some respect and grasp the danger involved.

The rest of your queries prove how clueless you are.

1) Why did Kovalev fight so peculiar?
    2) Why was Kovalev not trying to hurt Canelo?
    3) How can Kovalev knockdown Hopkins and Ward but not Canelo?
    4) Why was Kovalev so happy?
    5) How come Golovkin hurt Canelo but Kovalev couldn't?
    6) How come Canelo, who stops nobody, had no output yet ended it so fast, it took Manny volume to stop Oscar?

In the words of Roger Mayweather - you don't know shit about boxing. Fact.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I suppose I'm glad I didn't watch the fight. Not only because the predictable conclusion was something I didn't want to see, but now because I probably would've been included in the group of people that "shouldn't be allowed to watch boxing."

Regardless, here is a viewpoint from a third party regarding the fight. It was written before the fight itself, which is something to consider.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story...nnady-golovkin

"Column: Has Canelo Alvarez overestimated the interest fans have in a Sergey Kovalev fight?"

It bears mentioning that the writer seems of Hispanic descent, and the column was written for the Los Angeles Times.

Nothing remarkable here. The only aspect that stands out to me is the comparable lack of interest as noted by Hernandez.

Maybe boxing fans are more intelligent than we sometimes give them credit for. Why get all worked up for a fight whose predictable outcome is a foregone conclusion?

Why watch a poker game, when one of the contestants has a stacked deck of cards at his disposal, and all his poker hands will have 5 or 6 aces?

"At 36, Kovalev is physically diminished. He also could be psychologically damaged, as the menacing aura that made him special was seemingly extinguished by a couple of losses to Andre Ward.

Ward revealed that Kovalev was particularly vulnerable to body punches, which are a specialty of Alvarez.

Alvarez has explained that he chose to fight Kovalev because of the opportunity to win a world title in a fourth weight class. But Kovalev wasn’t the only fighter who offered him that chance. There are two other fighters who hold versions of the light-heavyweight championship, Artur Beterbiev and Dmitry Bivol.

So why did Alvarez pick Kovalev? Kovalev has the most recognizable name, but another factor could be that Beterbiev and Bivol are undefeated."

Not written by a Canelo hater. Not written by someone who "shouldn't be allowed to watch boxing". But written by a sportswriter for the LA Times.

But it resonates with a lot of people. He makes no mention of the rehydration clause. I'm assuming he didn't know either, otherwise the article would've been more critical.

I certainly hope people don't get scared or bullied into giving Canelo more credit than he's due. Yes.... he was the one in there with Kovalev, trading punches, albeit a diminished Kovalev.

I think the writer nails a very important point. Canelo's true excellence is that of a matchmaker, ala Floyd Mayweather.

Maybe this is the future direction of the sport. Stage predictable fights designed only to bolster a megastar's image. Only that, according to Hernandez, the public isn't always easily fooled.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

https://www.boxingnews24.com/2019/11...want-to-fight/

"Most would agree that Kovalev fought to survive, and not to win the fight. Kovalev was out-landed by Canelo in rounds 4 through 10, and not willing to mix it up."

"Kovalev didn’t want to commit to anything as far as power shots go. He just threw WEAK jabs. These weren’t the power jabs that we’d seen from Kovalev in the past. He was just making contact with Canelo, and he looked worried about being countered to the body. At all costs, Kovalev wasn’t going to let Canelo get close enough to land to his midsection."

Oh yeah. Nobody saw this coming at all.

"It wasn’t the pressure from Canelo that wore Kovalev out in the 11th. That was just Kovalev naturally fading like he always does in the second half of his fights."

"For a fighter that was once the best KO artist in the division, he was too tentative tonight. Kovalev fought with no ambition like a guy that had already gotten his big payday, and he wasn’t going to put in the effort to win. He looked frightened of getting hit in return by a much smaller fighter in Canelo. The picture of the fight was a much bigger man being chased around the ring by a smaller guy. It looked wrong, and left a bad imprint in this writer’s mind. How do you run from a guy that is smaller and moving up 2 weight divisions?"

LMAO.

Sad part is...... history will only see it as a knockout win by Canelo over the "feared" puncher/bully Kovalev of the 175-lb division. Canelo jumping two weight classes to fight this fearsome opponent.

Nothing about rehydration clauses, Kovalev's timidness (completely chronicled by anyone who does know shit about boxing), Kovalev's running out of gas (which you can practically set your watch by)..... or any of the other factors involved.

Bravo.

Matchmaking at its absolute finest.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You wont call it a "fix" but "odd." You agree it was fishy and bit strange after hearing about the conspiracy and accusations of fix, however, maybe not a "set up" but there are "indications of it".

The man you had easily winning ended up in hospital after suffering a brutal knock out. I fully stand by my comments, people like you shouldn't be allowed to watch boxing until you learn some respect and grasp the danger involved.

6) How come Canelo, who stops nobody, had no output yet ended it so fast, it took Manny volume to stop Oscar?

That is a very poor and aggressive post. Those were valid queries and don't tell us anything about not knowing about boxing.

You are just flipping from your stupid and pointless suggestions regarding death when talking about a fighter who rarely hurts anyone on his level.

Kovalev fought an odd, yet curiously effective fight. There is nothing spurious or controversial about that.

What is more controversial is suggesting there might have been something behind it. Be it Kov being scared due to chin issues, lack of a camp, or whatever, but these are all questions worth raising.

You need to calm down. This isn't a thread about child trannies. It cannot have triggered you that much.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That is a very poor and aggressive post. Those were valid queries and don't tell us anything about not knowing about boxing.

You are just flipping from your stupid and pointless suggestions regarding death when talking about a fighter who rarely hurts anyone on his level.

Kovalev fought an odd, yet curiously effective fight. There is nothing spurious or controversial about that.

What is more controversial is suggesting there might have been something behind it. Be it Kov being scared due to chin issues, lack of a camp, or whatever, but these are all questions worth raising.

You need to calm down. This isn't a thread about child trannies. It cannot have triggered you that much.
    I need to calm down? Aggressive? You need to grow some balls you silly cunt. You're thick as fuck when it comes to boxing, it's not a slight on your entire life, area of "knowledge" or personality. You're a child. A sick freak. It doesn't mean I don't like or respect you.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I need to calm down? You need to grow some balls you silly cunt. You're thick as fuck when it comes to boxing, it's not a slight on your entire life, area of "knowledge" or personality. You're a child. A sick freak. It doesn't mean I don't like or respect you.
    Yes, you should calm down. You sound emotional. Your Beanz impression is impressing nobody. I am a child? A sick freak? Rather strange response to a few questions. I guess you are trying to shut the thread down. Sad really.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I need to calm down? You need to grow some balls you silly cunt. You're thick as fuck when it comes to boxing, it's not a slight on your entire life, area of "knowledge" or personality. You're a child. A sick freak. It doesn't mean I don't like or respect you.
    Yes, you should calm down. You sound emotional. Your Beanz impression is impressing nobody. I am a child? A sick freak? Rather strange response to a few questions. I guess you are trying to shut the thread down. Sad really.
    Grow up you fucking baby, if I was doing Beanz i'd have told you half my life story and brought up a dozen other members.

All I did is call you a thick as fuck bad loser who don't know shit about boxing. You're more than welcome to tell me to fuck off. And that's all she wrote.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Eh? I know wnough about boxing to have watched most major fights over the past 30 years. This is one of them odd ones with even Badou Jack, who surely knows shit suggesting 'fix'. The questions were valid and I haven't said that it was a fake KO, but do think it was a very peculiar fight.

No need for the personal stuff. You are a Mod and know better.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know I sound like a conspiracy theorist, but I really don’t think it was fixed because I think the KO was real. Fighters aren’t going to allow their opponent a free shot to actually knock them out. I know that most of the oddities can be explained pretty easily but whatever. I give Canelo credit where credit is due. It was a legit win. Most fighters couldn’t go up in weight like that and beat even a faded Kovalev. I get that and am not denying that fact.

Kovalev just seemed happy to be there. His Krusher mentality was completely gone as was his chin. He didn’t seem like that even with Yarde. He still wasn’t anywhere near the old Kovalev, but he seemed to really go for it against Yarde and survive a much bigger onslaught of punches. Maybe the rehydration clause really wore him out or maybe at his age not getting enough time between fights really was too much for him. Either way, Kovalev was a different fighter that night. I think we all saw that. I’ve seen his other losses and he looked depressed afterwards. This loss he looked completely fine and happy. Just strange.

Thread Information