Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  18
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What was your scorecard at the time of the Kov-Canelo fight stoppage?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What was your scorecard at the time of the Kov-Canelo fight stoppage?

For me, I thought Kovalev fought a weird fight almost as though he was scared of exchanging. Maybe the last fight was a nightmare round too soon or something, but I thought on the whole he implemented a fair tactical approach by keeping distance and trying to win by utilizing his range. For long stretches it worked. Canelo was inactive and at half way was 5-1 down and many online seem to agree.

It did tighten after, but both fighters had their moments. Kovalev refused to commit though and even with Canelo taking a break didn't try to hurt him. It was very strange, but in its own way an effective performance. However, by throwing so much and not causing damage due to even the jab being a touching one, Canelo was still alive. Thus Kov got sloppy and chinned. I think Canelo was a bit lucky tbh and if Kov had been more careful he would have still....been robbed on the cards.

I had it 7-3 Kovalev after the 10th. How did you have it?

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What was your scorecard at the time of the Kov-Canelo fight stoppage?

I had it all square going into the 11th. Except for 1 round I had it the same as Enzo Maccarinelli.
    I think he gave the 3rd or 4th to Kov and I gave it to Canelo. Consequently with the swing he had Kov 2 up going into the 11th.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What was your scorecard at the time of the Kov-Canelo fight stoppage?

I had it even, 5 rounds each.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I had it Kov 96 - 94 Canelo

A lot of tight rounds because whilst Canelo wasn't doing a lot, Kov wasn't exactly moving mountains either, his jab which has been so effective and underrated in the past was little more than an irritant for Canelo.

The frustrating thing was that it was clear that there was a lot more to come from Canelo but for whatever reason he didn't fancy switching it up a notch.

I asked my mate how he had it and he said that he had Canelo 1 round up and that he was scoring it favorably to Canelo as it was in Vegas.

I'm actually glad that Canelo got the stoppage to take it out of the judges hands, I fucking hate the little ginger prick but you can't take that win away from him.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    For me, I thought Kovalev fought a weird fight almost as though he was scared of exchanging. Maybe the last fight was a nightmare round too soon or something, but I thought on the whole he implemented a fair tactical approach by keeping distance and trying to win by utilizing his range. For long stretches it worked. Canelo was inactive and at half way was 5-1 down and many online seem to agree.

It did tighten after, but both fighters had their moments. Kovalev refused to commit though and even with Canelo taking a break didn't try to hurt him. It was very strange, but in its own way an effective performance. However, by throwing so much and not causing damage due to even the jab being a touching one, Canelo was still alive. Thus Kov got sloppy and chinned. I think Canelo was a bit lucky tbh and if Kov had been more careful he would have still....been robbed on the cards.

I had it 7-3 Kovalev after the 10th. How did you have it?

Kovalev was being led all fight. Canelo was the lead dance partner and Kov the follow. All night Canelo moved him around the ring and even signaled to him where he should throw. You have to invert so much of what your eyes are telling you to believe that Alvarez was frustrated by some kind of genius tactic and then got lucky, it nullifies most of your argument. The many people agreeing withe you online that Canelo was 5-1 down, proves exactly how underrated Canelo continues to be.

I did not score every round but could not see more than a round between them at the time of the stoppage.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo is still overrated. Kovalev didn't attempt to hurt his opponent and likely fought shy due to modest camp and being rocked hars last time. He was also seemingly happy to be there rather than wanting to

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

hurt his opponent. His jabs were almost there to disrupt rather than hurt, but plenty were landing. Strange, strange fight and still he was up against this so called modern great. Funny world. It was a late Wlad style showing. Still enough to be up until the stamina went.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Surprised at the comments above?!

Even?!

The fight was boring but Kovalev was winning 8-2 or a generous 7-3 until the knock out..he made it boring and used his best weapon to keep Canelo honest..unfortunately, the Ward syndrome hit him again and he starts to fade late in the fight.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It seems it is easier for Canelo to relax and take his time, not having to worry or stress about judges not scoring for him, than most other boxers who do not have that privilege.

Had it 8-2 Kov
    Last edited by Master; 11-03-2019 at 07:44 PM.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I had it 7-3 for Kovalev. I thought a draw was the best you could have it. Kovalev dictated most of the fight pretty clearly. I thought maybe it was just bias, but I found many boxing experts and fans who agreed with me. Canelo didn’t throw much and didn’t land many big shots despite the commentators acting as if every shot was monstrous.

Kovalev and his trainer knew that he was damaged goods so they fought extra cautious. I won’t get into Canelo’s advantages for the fight, but needless to say, Kovalev’s chin is completely gone at this point. The shot he got hit with wasn’t that big and it’s not like he was getting blasted with shots all night.

Overall it was a legit win for Canelo, but what we all see at the end is exactly why they picked Kovalev to fight.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wasn't carefully keeping score, just felt it was about even and that there wasn't much in most of the rounds. It was clear as day Kovalev didn't want it to become a fight and was playing keep away, I also thought Canelo was way to patient considering so. Expected the scorecards to be more lopsided for Canelo at the time of the stoppage, but was fine with how the judges had it and I think Canelo knew he had to turn it up as the stoppage didn't just come to him as he had hoped. Not sure why Kovalev was talking about fighting on, he must have been paid nicely for that and he is finished.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think many score with their hatred of Clanelo, maybe Klanvelev was slightly up but it seems to be ignored that the combination with :57 left in the round culminating with the chopping right with :54 left in the round staggered Klanvelev. It’s really no surprise he was KOed soon after.

At some point Clanelo has to get respect for having BY FAR the best resume in the game. Some debatable decisions but you get that when you fight SO MANY top guys.

Would love to see a more talented fighter like Loma or Crawford start fighting the quality opponents like Clanelo does.(without stacking the deck as Clanelo does)

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Had it 7-3 for Kovalez as well at the time of the stoppage. Talk of Kovalez fighting like a terrified fragile little ol man is a bit much but in fairness he did collapse like the ceiling fell in on him. He was boxing behind the jab maybe preserving a lead and working a smart plan, it happens after all. It was known he could be a disciplined boxer going in regardless of all the 'Krusher' stuff. Canelo has matured to be pretty methodical and calculating but he was pretty straight line and the vaunted body attack was largely left back at the hotel suite. Loved the conclusion either way as clearly it was headed to yet another three blind mice iffy reading of the cards. Didn't think it was so boring and the feel of 'just a matter of time before he gets clipped' never really kicked it, probably one of the more sudden and rapid turn arounds I can remember lately and all credit to Canelo for lowering the boom.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    I think many score with their hatred of Clanelo, maybe Klanvelev was slightly up but it seems to be ignored that the combination with :57 left in the round culminating with the chopping right with :54 left in the round staggered Klanvelev. It’s really no surprise he was KOed soon after.

At some point Clanelo has to get respect for having BY FAR the best resume in the game. Some debatable decisions but you get that when you fight SO MANY top guys.

Would love to see a more talented fighter like Loma or Crawford start fighting the quality opponents like Clanelo does.(without stacking the deck as Clanelo does)
    Agreed about Loma but Crawford cleaned out his division and is wanting to clean out welterweight too. Crawford could jump up and weight drain J rock and beat him too. I’m more hoping that other welters will actually fight him.

It’s easy to get the fights you want when you are giving everyone their biggest payday and you dictate all of the terms. So I agree that he does have a better resume, but as I’ve said many times before, there are a handful of fighters that could do the same thing or even better if given the same opportunities.

Canelo is really good, but I would much rather him just clean out a division instead of jumping around and picking and choosing who he gets to fight to make “history.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

96 - 94 Kovalev...

Thread Information