Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who will be the Fighter of the Decade: 2009-2019?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who will be the Fighter of the Decade: 2009-2019?

Quote Originally Posted by holmcall View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    The problem with fighters of the decade kind of depends on their career arc. I think that Ward easily beats out Canelo for fighter of the decade other than the fact that he loses two years because of retirement .

Wards competition is at least on par with Canelo’s (with the exception of Floyd) and dominated way more. The only close fight he was in was the first Kovalev fight when Kovalev was considered by basically everybody in the top 3 p4p and potentially even #1. Then he wrecked him in their second fight.

Let’s compare:

Ward: Dominated Miranda, Kessler, Green, Bika, Abraham, Dawson, and Froch. He then had his whole promotional issue. He then beat some pretty good fighters after that (nobody great but no complete bums). Then he won a controversial decision against Kovalev then came back with vengeance and wrecked him (who again was arguably the best p4p fighter at the time if would have gotten the decision in the first fight).

Canelo: Starting from 2009, Canelo beat some decent fighters for a few years. Not awful competition but probably pretty equal to what award had after his promotional issue. He did pretty well but nothing to write home about. He was still a prospect. Then he fought a close/controversial decision against Trout, got shut out by Mayweather, beat a few other alright fighters, and won another close/controversial decision against Lara. Beat Cotto in a close decision (in a weight that Cotto did not at all belong in. Sorry, I had to say it). Beat a few other alright fighters. Got a gift draw against GGG, then won a pretty disputed decision against GGG (I won’t say robbery but most people had GGG winning or at least a draw). Beat Jacobs in a close decision. Knocked out Kovalev in a fight where most people thought he was losing.

Canelo definitely has more fights, but his wins weren’t anywhere near as dominant as Ward’s. I tried to be subjective, but other than Kovalev, there is no question who won any of Ward’s fights. You can give the excuse that he “cheats,” but we will just call it even with Canelo and his controversies.

If we are talking about the amount of fights and longevity, then Canelo wins. If we are talking about dominance over that time, Ward easily wins. Again, their resumes aren’t really much different in terms of toughness.
    You convinced me. Outstanding stuff
    Nice. That doesn’t happen too often. But now people are trying to convince us that Pacquiao is the fighter of the decade.

Mentioned
    443 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In all honesty, Fighter of the Decade and $3.00 will buy you a Caffe Latte at Starbucks. It's another meaningless "title".

Career-wise, Pac blows away Ginger any day of the week.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Pacquiao with the rest nowhere.

Not only did he cement himself among the pantheon of boxing gods - 2009 to 2011 with the destruction of Hatton, Cotto, Margarito, Mosley and beat Marquez, he then came back from his two defeats to Marquez and Floyd (two first ballot HOFers) with wins over Bradley x 2, Broner, Matthysse and pulled the upset over Thurman. His "filler" fights had a combined record of 94-2 and were all "world" champions.

Honorable mentions - Canelo, Chocolatito, Floyd, Ward, Golovkin
    Looking at his record for the decade, he actually may edge it out. He beat some really good fighters. I will even things out by saying that he beat Bradley three times (because we all know he beat Bradley in their first fight), and lost to JMM twice (JMM clearly beat him in their third fight). His only knock is that he lost to his two best opponents legitimately. With that said, who else really beat fighters as good as Floyd and JMM?

I would say on quality of opponents and dominance over their opponents, it would have to be either Pacquiao, Floyd, or Ward hands down. Nobody else over that time span has been able to consistently dominate good/great fighters.
    I agree , this is the podium and this is the right order for me. I don't mind switching Pac with Floyd but Andre is pretty much stick on the last spot of the stage, Kovalev is the only p4p fighter on his resume and we all know who won their first fight, even in the second one he wasn't able to outbox Sergey until The Crusher run out of gas.

I'd definitely not take in consideration a cheater who blame the cow.

Mentioned
    893 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Pacquiao with the rest nowhere.

Not only did he cement himself among the pantheon of boxing gods - 2009 to 2011 with the destruction of Hatton, Cotto, Margarito, Mosley and beat Marquez, he then came back from his two defeats to Marquez and Floyd (two first ballot HOFers) with wins over Bradley x 2, Broner, Matthysse and pulled the upset over Thurman. His "filler" fights had a combined record of 94-2 and were all "world" champions.

Honorable mentions - Canelo, Chocolatito, Floyd, Ward, Golovkin
    I agree. Manny won me over and that 3 year period was amazing. Pure devastation and gore.
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWNc_AZewu7AAERwCfLfupUZIJSbzqC MgjXFbc0u9YrZkuInoB

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

2009-2019 covers 11 years which is one more than a decade, I checked with my fingers on both hands (i can count to 12 with this method :S)....
    Surely results in 2009 don't count for this accolade?

Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Of the guys listed Im torn between Loma and Canelo, can't quite decide which one I look more like. Eddie Hearn is definitely the promoter of the decade though. I don't even know what Haymon looks like but I'm positive it's not as close. You all knew this though. Everyone knows it, they just don't say it.

Mentioned
    893 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    2009-2019 covers 11 years which is one more than a decade, I checked with my fingers on both hands (i can count to 12 with this method :S)....
    Surely results in 2009 don't count for this accolade?
    We are in an age where belts and genders are created at will. Please let us add another year to a decade as well. Pretty please!
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWNc_AZewu7AAERwCfLfupUZIJSbzqC MgjXFbc0u9YrZkuInoB

Thread Information